Old 08-05-13, 04:01 PM
carleton
Elitist

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1386 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 77 Posts
Originally Posted by Ohbejoyful
Hi friends, first post here. I've been riding fixed gears recreationally for a decade but now want to get into actual track racing (2 velodromes within 1.5h of me). I want to get an intermediate-level frame (probably alum) that will serve me well for a while and that I'll only upgrade from next year electively.

Also for the drivetrain, I want something reliably solid and bulletproof even if it comes with a bit of a weight penalty. I'm thinking 167.5 since I'm 172.5 on the road, but might go to 170 since I prefer to mash more than spin (I just came in 3rd place for singlespeed in the Tour Divide mountain bike race on a 32x18, which was among the taller setups out there). Any BBs to stay away from? Square taper or nah?

Ok, so here's the shortlist that I'd love opinions on re head to head value:

Cervelo T1
Bianchi Super Pista
Look 464
Argon 18 Electron

Do DA and Omnium cranksets go equally well with all of these?

So yeah, any guidance here would be much appreciated. I've ready through all the stickies and more here and have been learning a ton. I've done the lugged steel route and am now running my old Cervelo Soloist fixed with an eccentric hub, which is... interesting but unsustainable.

Thanks for your time.
The LOOK uses a 43mm offset road type fork. It should be fine, but I prefer less than 40mm of offset. Cervelo doesn't list the offset of their fork. Other than that, they are all very similar.

Fork offset isn't a big deal unless you become really particular about such things. Some don't notice the difference. I'd go for the one that gets you excited. Consider the Felt TK2 as well. We have 2 threads on the subject:

- http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...Complete-Bikes
- http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...k-Racing-Bikes (this is 2012, but many offerings are pretty much the same, if not exactly the same for 2013)

Regarding cranks: The popular cranksets are: Sugino 75, Dura Ace, SRAM Omnium, and Campy Pista (not as popular as the others). The only one that sometimes has issues clearing chainstays is the SRAM Omnium because the crank spider is so beefy. That being said, I haven't heard of Omniums posing issues with the frames that you've listed. I'd google the frame name and Omnium together to see if people have them installed and/or to read of people griping because they can't install it.