View Single Post
Old 04-20-14, 02:35 PM
Adrianinkc

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by YOJiMBO20
I'm not a big fan of orange, but I like this a lot!

What colour are you going to use for the accents?
Everything will be orange or black.

Originally Posted by Campag4life
This is very cool. I completely agree with why you are doing this. Specialized as good as their bikes are to me are desecrated with this badging. So well done on taking this initiative.

Not all Specialized bikes are the same as you know. I love the Expert level of bike you have but they are among the worse in terms of aesthetics due to what I consider to be a pitiful billboarding of their brand. The Pro and Sworks are less obscene generally...on my bike for example the Specialized graphic is way more understated. Also once in a while Specialized has a model that is more monochrome...below is an example of their flag ship Sworks Roubaix SL4 for 2014 in candy red...which isn't too much different for your choice of orange base coat.

A few questions please if you would take the time to answer:
1. What grit sand/wet paper do you use to scuff the factory clear/gel coat? Or do you use Scothbrite pads?...if so what color pad...green?
2. What kind of paint do you suggest for primer, top and clear coat? Water based acrylic enamel? What kind of base/clear do you suspect that Specialized shoots on the carbon frame from the factory?
3. What kind of gun are you shooting the paint with? Are you using a pro level booth or a home rig?
4. Do you plan on painting the rubber Zertz inserts? If so will you add an elastomer to the paint to allow flex without cracking?

I look forward to your results. I bet it will be stunning.

Thanks for sharing your talent.
Love the Candy Red Roubaix.

1. Started with 400 grit sand paper finished off with red scotchbrite pad .
2. My personal opinion no primer needed as long as you don't bust through the carbon, I used adhesion promoter and went straight to white base coat followed by the orange pearl. As far as paint, it all works I'm a big fan of house of kolor. The clear I used is uc35 from house of kolor, it is poly urethane instead of most clear coat's which are urethane. Poly urethane dries faster and harder and is very durable against rock chips. As far as what specialized uses that's a good question, seems like base coat clear coat job but I'm not sure.
3. I used my favorite gun a Sata 3000 RP and used the booth at the body shop.
4. The zertz rubber inserts are not getting painted but the black piece with the logo did, as you can see from the pic the logo stayed underneath the matte black.

Last edited by Adrianinkc; 04-20-14 at 03:31 PM.