View Single Post
Old 04-27-14, 01:32 PM
thill454

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by achoo
Sure, it seems like total power should be better than just using left power doubled. But then when you start digging into what would actually make it better, there's really nothing there. The "signal" of the recorded power data is no more consistently correlated with your actual power output for either a Stages unit or a PowerTap.

And all that matters for training purposes is the consistency of that correlation. Every time you generate X watts your power meter should record "300W", and it really doesn't matter what "X" actually is.
Originally Posted by achoo
with no knowledge of left/right power balance, how measuring total power is more accurate than measuring just left power and doubling it.

"Because it is!" isn't an answer.

And a consistent number is all you need for training purposes.
Wrong again, if I'm at 300 watts and bump the power up 10% with just the left leg, stages will tell me I'm at 330. My power tap will tell me I'm at 315. I have limited mobility in my right leg and on longer intervals I'll sometimes get lazy with the right side. Stages would not show this. My power tap does. It's a real issue for me.

Gregf83 posted a study that shows AI changes with power, so it's not just an N=1 problem. You don't like the study so you just wave your hands claim it's wrong, same thing you accuse others of doing.

Last edited by thill454; 04-27-14 at 01:38 PM.