View Single Post
Old 11-20-16, 08:07 PM
comdoc

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Andy, I'm reconsidering the trike in favor of a two wheel machine.

I like hydraulic disc brakes--and the sliding Aluminum tubes used on Cruzbike. But my understanding is that's it's much more difficult to weld aluminum. Recumbent needs better suspension because rider cannot stand on pedals to reduce shock. Cruzbike uses front and rear shocks. I like somehow suspending the recumbent seat. Here's a brilliant trike seat design:

COMFORIDER_HOME

I'm on sloping terrain; first half of my 6 mile circuit is uphill. I like the climbing ability of Cruzbike.

Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
A few comments from the recumbent service guy at work for decades and a hobby builder.

Rim brakes on the two out board wheels mean a bunch of frame material doing nothing but supporting the brake mech. There's a reason that disk brakes are so often used on trikes.

The cost of frame tubing will be a small portion of the total. Consider using a stronger steel. 4130 is available in so many diameters and gages, is quite weldable and will help reduce what will already be a boat anchor of a bike.

Suspension is a great goal. In application it has many issues and costs. Weight, tracking flex when cornering, space/dimensional needs that impact rider placement and fit, and general component cost/availability (forks and shocks). Running larger profile tires can get a bit of the comfy goals of suspension with a far lighter and serviceable machine. Also the seat design enters here WRT shock damping.

I assume you are riding fairly level terrain with the choice of a limited gear range that the IGHs have. I would strongly reconsider this aspect. Trikes are dogs when it comes to climbing or getting up to speed. Even common driveway or side walk ramps can seem steep.

Your project is a big and complex one even with streamlining to more common design choices. Do your homework and expect to get part way along and suffer the AH HA moment a few times in a number of places. Andy.