View Single Post
Old 02-11-17, 10:27 AM
linberl

Bikes: Trident Spike 2 recumbent trike w/ e-assist

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1321 Post(s)
Liked 374 Times in 288 Posts
Yes, it is entirely possible my dealer did not know all the ins and outs. He had just started carrying brompton a month or so before I checked them out. However, I am 5'4" with what my friends affectionately refer to as "t-rex arms". Not quite that bad, actually, but my reach is definite not equivalent to my inseam. While I do envy the excellent fold, I have found I don't fold my bike as often as I thought I might (maybe only once a month) so for me the BF with variable sizing and comfortable ride has worked out well.
Seems to be for the price that Brompton could make more than one size, though. Can't imagine it would be that hard to make that curving tube in a couple of different lengths. British traditional and all I get, but they almost seem to drag their feet on any improvements.
But that fold.......yes. I'll keep your tips in mind if I come across a nice used one I can tweak!

Originally Posted by berlinonaut
While the Brompton's main frame is one size fits all there are four (not three) different bars (S,M,H,P), all with different heights and three different seatposts available from the factory.

With these combinations riders between maybe 1,60m and 2,00m height find a proper solution for themselves. At least those that I know of.
Regarding reach there is the Brompton Saddle Pin Adaptor, that was developed for shrinking reach. Cheap and pragmatic, mounting it takes less than five minutes. Exists since the late eighties or early nineties, is still available but not that common, so maybe your dealer did not know about it (shame on him).

Apart from that you can adjust the angle of the bars, but that will possible affect folded width a bit. You can get out of this trap by using a quick-release lever for bar-adjustment, making it possible to achieve the smallest possible fold independent from the angle while riding. And as all bars use different stems with a different height AND a different angle it is an easy job to i.e. use an S-bar on a M-stem, a P-stem or a H-stem, all offering lower reach in comparison to the M-stem. Or you can use a third-party bar and/or a riser like the "aber-hallo". With the new (higher) stems for M and H in 2017 there are even more possible combinations now. All of this is not very expensive and definitively not several 100 Dollars if you choose the right stem from the beginning (as stems are expensive while bars are not). Many people have done this and I know a bunch of smaller riders being happy with a Brompton. For the swapping of bars and stem-combinations your dealer would have to be a bit knowledgable to judge on what is possible, what fits you best and to adjust the cable-lenght.
If you want to throw in some money you could look at the netherlands and approch Vincent van Eerd: Eerder Metaal telescopische stuurpen voor Brompton

Regarding BF NWT vs. Brompton: No doubt the Brompton beats the BF by miles when it comes to folding. Regarding riding I think the BF rides far smoother and more grown up.