View Single Post
Old 06-19-17, 09:47 PM
maxxevv

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Bonzo Banana
I really like the look of this but some of the parts are very low end. The handlebar stem and pedals look entry level at best. The main aluminium frame looks professional and with decent welds but the rear sub frame looks junk quality. How on earth is that level of welding acceptable. I assume that is a steel part welded in house due to its custom design to copy the Brompton design. Looks rubbish quality.

Actually seems expensive based on the quality of components and construction quality. I'd rather get a secondhand Brompton myself. Steel goes on for ever if its not allowed to corrode, it doesn't suffer from fatigue and I have my doubts whether this bike would last long, it looks like a basic copy at best. However I'd be more than happy to be proved wrong because the fold looks great and if the quality was good all round then fantastic but my initial great impression was soon darkened by looking more closely at the bike construction and its parts. I believe many Brompton clones are made in China but its often hard to search alibaba to find them. I found this sort of Brompton clone although not as direct as la bici.

https://www.alibaba.com/product-deta...7115.11.eRLkDp
The la bici posted here is aluminium. Aluminium welding beads are typically a fair bit larger compared to steel due to the thermal conductivity and melding point differences of the two metals.

The price is in Singapore Dollars, not US dollars ( US$1 = SG$1.385).