View Single Post
Old 12-29-05, 04:23 AM
fixedpip
asleep at the wheel

Bikes: Custom Richie Ditta Track Bike, Eddie Merckx Corsa, Marioni Custom Pista, Dolan Cyclocross

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for all the information.

Just got back and it was great. Loved Amsterdam although its a lot quieter than I expected at this time of year.

Only saw one fixie while I was there. Very messenger looking guy powering down the side of a canal; nearly everyone else was on some variation of the Dutch one/three speed. However, its grand to see so many people biking around and I loved all the utility bikes. Whole families being moved by bicycle as well as all kinds of goods. Its wonderful.

Stopped by the Frame Fiets gallery, pretty interesting though obviously geared towards the Dutch style of bikes. Tried going to RIH but it was closed for the day.

Found a lot of good second hand bike jerseys at the Market along the Amstel (forget the name of the market) but sadly found little else track/fixed anywhere

I'd recommend:

In de Wildeman (Kolksteeg 3) - has about 200 beers on tap/bottle including Anchor Steam (decent San Francisco beer)
Cafe The Minds - somewhere along Spuistraat. About the only punk bar we could find. (Heard good things about a bar called De Diepte, but it was closed while we were there).
Maoz Falafel - super cheap chain of Falafel fast food. About 3-4 euros for a ton of falafel and toppings. Kept my girlfriend going most days.