View Single Post
Old 06-09-07, 10:26 AM
Beverly
Senior Member ??

Bikes: 2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520 - 2014 Catrike Trail

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BluesDawg
I try to ride in a position that gives me room to maneuver and encourages traffic to pass me safely. This means not hugging the very edge of the road. That is unsafe for me and it encourages car drivers to ignore me, so they pass closer. I also try not to unnecessarily obstruct traffic. There is nothing gained by obstructing car traffic in situations where they could safely pass. In situations where it would not be safe for a car to pass me at all, I will move out into the road and take the lane for long enough to get through a short narrow section of road or to make a turn.
All of this has to be tempered by reason. I do these things to be safer. If drivers are not willing to share the road, I don't push it. I don't see any satisfaction in having "he was in the right" chiseled into my tomb stone.
+1

I've been road riding for a few years and have only encountered a handful of drivers who have become irritated because I was on the road.

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
-- Antonio Smith