View Single Post
Old 08-02-07, 04:26 PM
Yoshi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dutret
While some sprinters may choose a higher gear for a scratch race since they'll just be sitting in till the final sprint I don't think that's general practice. More importantly track sprinters more then any other cyclists have absurd spins. Leg speed is just as important as strength since a gear that will allow you to jump from a trackstand is going to require ridiculous cadence to get up to 40. Anyway sprinters don't train much for the sitting in part. They train to sprint. And that training needs to include a lot of work on leg speed.
I completely agree with you. And yes, sprinters are going to need a high cadence in a high gear.

However I think my main point still stand - figure out what cadence works for you (if you are most efficient at 60 rpms then gear your bike accordingly, don't spin at 90 rpms because you're "supposed to").

I'm not saying cadence is unimportant or that Tadashi should work on spinning at high rpms - I'm just saying don't get hung up on it.

Edited because I know you are going to take what I said out of context and I really don't feel like arguing over absolutely nothing anymore.