Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Golf vs Cycling... trying to win a debate

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Golf vs Cycling... trying to win a debate

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-05, 09:33 AM
RustyTainte

Bikes: zilch

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was a golfer in the past and it's way more expensive.
For instance when a guy called me a *** because I played golf and I broke my 200 dollar Ping G2 driver over his head, I had to replace it. But, I didn't replace it equally, oh no, I had to upgrade to a 300 dollar G5. I went through a whole bag of clubs before these rednecks got the idea. I was out several thousand dollars by then.

I've been cycling for several months now without breaking my bike over someone's head.
Old 11-14-05, 09:59 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
After the initial outlay for equipment (in my case, around $2000), it costs me next to nothing to go for a bike ride (maybe a buck or two for drinks or snacks). I do my own maintenance, so annual costs are maybe a set of tires, some bar wrap, and chain degreaser, probably about $100. I have no idea what it costs to play a round of golf or maintain a club membership, but it's got to be more than a hundred bucks a year. Don't forget to account for the beers at the 19th hole.

Last edited by va_cyclist; 11-14-05 at 10:13 AM.
Old 11-14-05, 10:52 AM
semifreddo amartuerer

Bikes: several

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by MichaelW
Its hard to golf to work...
I don't really care about the rest of this thread, but that one is a keeper. Thanks for the laugh
Old 11-14-05, 11:37 AM

Bikes: Raleigh, Benotto, Schwinn, Trek

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
If this were a business proposal to assess which of the two ventures were more cost effective, we'd have someone throw together a cost-bennefit analysis. If the expected benefit from both golf and cycling isn't the same, for both you and your buddy, then no comparison is valid. If they are the same, then you can settle on specific indices or measuremnents to assess which is delivering the greatest of the desired benefit for the least dollar.

An example would be an agreed measurement where the benefit desired is the lowest dollar spent for each 100 calories burned. Cycling isn't the automatic winner in this case. How much you spend on the hobby and how often you cycle and at what speed determines the winner. Someone that just purchased a new $3000 bike, with all of the bells and whistles, shoes, pedals, jersey's shorts etc. could loose the comparison if they ended up riding a couple hundred miles and decided they like chess better.
The golfer may have spent $500 dollars on clubs, charge the club membership to the company, never rent a cart but actually jog from tee to tee carrying their clubs. And if the tee is backed up, they hit the ground and do pushups and situps waiting for their turn. The golfer could come the victor in case. Point being, the answer is there but you have to figure it out yourself. None of us on the forum can do it.
Old 11-14-05, 11:43 AM
Just Ride

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Golfing is for sissys and old men.
Old 11-14-05, 11:44 AM

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
I like golf. Very relaxing. I think I'm going to take it up seriously when I get too old to do anything strenuous.

Seriously, until they start charging me $50 every time I pull the bike out of the driveway, there's no comparison in my mind.
Old 11-14-05, 11:49 AM
more ape than man

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
cycling can be very cheap. you actually don't need specific gear to do it. i could spend about $300 on a good used bike, wear regular clothes, and log in several thousand miles a year. unless something breaks on the bike - tubes, tires, and cleaner are the only items that need replacing. and over a year, it's not much at all.

and if you replace car trips with bicycle trips - you're actually saving money. nobody has ever taken up golf to save money, have they?
Old 11-14-05, 12:18 PM
Cat None

Bikes: LOOK KG 461, LeMond Zurich, Giant Talon 29er 0

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't know how the golf courses are where you live but they are horribly crowded around here. At some courses you have to get up at the crack of early just to call and make a reservation. Unless you are playing at some fancy (meaning expensive) country club you have to deal with crowded golf courses. Many courses will stick 5 guys to a group and many times you'll be standing around waiting as the groups bunch up behind a slow player.

Yeah, I'd much rather ride. Cycling is much much better physically too.
Old 11-14-05, 12:34 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's like comparing apples and oranges, the two do not equate.

Bicycling is often a solitary sport, while golfing usually a social one.

Businessmen don't join the country club for the "status" alone. They join it because they may be able to conduct more business on the golf course than in the boardroom. It's where they find investors interested in capital ventures, and can spend the day with them in a casual, relaxed atmosphere, where they can spend the entire day promoting their ideas to their golfing partners--who they can count on being a captive audience, and not having to run out to another meeting, right up to the 18th round.

The more expensive the club, the greater assurance you have that you will be rubbing shoulders with other members who have the financial capability to assist you, and business acumen to provide you with the business advice, critical to success.

Golfing is your pass to the "good ole boy's club".

Bicycling is your pass to ensure better health.

Neither is mutually exclusive.
Old 11-14-05, 12:35 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mporter410
What a troglodytic thought. Please, enlighten us as to why golf is only for sissies and old men.
Old 11-14-05, 12:40 PM
Out of Commission

Bikes: Felt FC, S-Works Roubaix, Epic Comp, Cyfac Proxidium

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Do you think the IRS would mind if I expensed a ride with my co-workers???
I own a business and write off about 80% of my cycling expenses. My business "Sponsors" my "Team" (myself). My CPA told me to print a small sticker with my business name and put it on my bike, and that would be the advertising that the sponsorship would buy. Works for me, when I come home with new crap, I just tell my wife that "the shop gave it to me", the write off is is nice too
Old 11-14-05, 01:06 PM
Almost there

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Look at the success rate of golfers vs. bikers over, say, a year.

I am willing to bet there are SIGNIFICANTLY more people who go buy a set of clubs, hit the driving range a few times, get impatient, and give up, than there are people who buy a bike, hit the road, and decide biking is not for them.
Old 11-14-05, 01:12 PM
In Transition

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Between May and September I try to golf at least once a week. I bought all my clubs off e-bay and though they are quite good I probably have less than $300 in them. I never rent a power-cart and the most expensive green fees of the 3 local courses is $35 (a military course). Even with a couple beers after a round I think I am spending less on golf than biking.
Old 11-14-05, 01:16 PM
Banned.

Bikes: Trek 4300 X 2. Trek 1000, Trek 6000

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Comparing golf to cycling is like comparing life to......................living. It might cost $500,000,000 per year for Donald Trump to live, whereas many live on $5 per year. (or the equivilant in 3rd world countries)

You can buy a single driver that costs thousands of dollars just like you can buy a road bike that costs tens of thousands of dollars. Conversely, you can buy a $199 full set of clubs at Walmart and also a $69 bike at Walmart.

It all depends on what you buy.
Old 11-14-05, 01:30 PM

Bikes: Lynskey R230, Gary Fisher Tassajara; Motobecane Boris Fatbike; Cannondale Habit

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
As an avid cyclist and also a golfer, the biggest difference for me is the time commitment. A bike ride can be any length and my rides can be squeezed into the time available. To play a round of 18 holes is about a six hour commitment when you add in the drive to and from the course and warm up on the range. A three hour bike ride is a lot easier to sell to the home front on a Saturday morning than a six hour round of golf. Even a century can be completed in about the same time, although I'm not good for much when it's done. And for me, cycling has been way cheaper than golf and I even make my own clubs. Whether it's dollars or spousal stress, cycling wins hands down.

Last edited by TassR700; 11-14-05 at 01:31 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 11-14-05, 01:42 PM
214/13

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr_Super_Socks
Hard to compare. I have a friend who pays close to $10k a year for cc dues. (plus there's some crazy $100k buy-in or something that he inherited.) If you want to know which COULD be the most expensive, golf wins, hands down. Of course, you can go to public courses and rock some crappy clubs for a lot less. but then, you could buy a $20 bike and be on your way.

In conclusion, the cheapest cycling is cheaper than the cheapest golfing and the most expensive cycling is cheaper than the most expensive golfing. In between it just impossible to compare.
Thank you, after reading all the informative responses, above is what can be said with the most certainty. Certainly a competitive non-sponsored cyclist can spend much more than a reacreational golfer, and vice versa.

A couple of things I learned:
Clubs can be hella expensive... I know my friend plays with high end clubs. I will find out how much he paid from his wife - I think he lowballed me.

He does belong to a club so his dues based on the responses probably exceed $1000 per year and could be much more.

I am not a competitve cyclist beyond beginner night at the track or raceway. In either of these cases. I either use my CF bike or rent a track bike so costs are minimal.

Yes, at least in our case, my sport is cheaper hands down. Thanks for educating me about golf. Poker night this Friday I'm going to settle this one for good.

The most interesting point I read in the responses was comparing the number of people who try both cycling and golf then quit. The definition of quit is of course relative, but I could see more people proportionately giving up golfing rather than cycling. When I flirted with golf years ago, I guess I couldn't handle the "time trial" as someone put it and find cycling more to my liking. Thanks again.
Old 11-14-05, 01:50 PM

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Originally Posted by TassR700
A three hour bike ride is a lot easier to sell to the home front on a Saturday morning than a six hour round of golf.

Dang right.
Old 11-14-05, 01:50 PM

Bikes: Cannondale EVO, CAAD9, Giant cross bike.

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts

Tiger Woods might take exception.
Old 11-14-05, 02:26 PM
Hiracer

Bikes: Bacchetta Aero, Bacchetta Strada, Diamondback MTB, Lemond Sarthe DF

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Golf creates stress; cycling relieves it. 'Nuff said.
Old 11-14-05, 02:34 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by roadwarrior
Tiger Woods might take exception.
Don't know of very many sissies and old-men married to this either:

Last edited by DannoXYZ; 11-14-05 at 03:19 PM.
Old 11-14-05, 02:41 PM
Announcer

Bikes: More than I need, really.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 13 Posts
Zoiks! That makes my next words rather inconsequential.

I'll take the bet about golfing to work. I bet I could do it.
It's a little over a mile.
It's relatively straight.
There's water on the right.
And I'd say it's about a Par 14.

But I'll bet you that if I place a cup in my office and a tee box in my front yard, I'll have to reserve a damn tee time!
Old 11-14-05, 02:45 PM
DocRay

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Originally Posted by Ineedhelp

Businessmen don't join the country club for the "status" alone. They join it because they may be able to conduct more business on the golf course than in the boardroom. It's where they find investors interested in capital ventures, and can spend the day with them in a casual, relaxed atmosphere, where they can spend the entire day promoting their ideas to their golfing partners--who they can count on being a captive audience, and not having to run out to another meeting, right up to the 18th round.

The more expensive the club, the greater assurance you have that you will be rubbing shoulders with other members who have the financial capability to assist you, and business acumen to provide you with the business advice, critical to success.
What a load. All I get from my golf course is leeches who prey after the wealthy with BS investment schemes. If you think a golf partner is letting you in on a deal, you're getting swindled. My local club is private, expensive, and full of people the world is much better off without.

I can not say this about cyclists.

Old 11-14-05, 02:46 PM
RustyTainte

Bikes: zilch

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
C'MON! Just look at a golfer's attire:

Compared to a cyclists:

'nuff said
Old 11-14-05, 02:49 PM
Fahren auf den Autobahn

Bikes: LeMond Maillot Jaune, 2004 Giant TCR C1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
and drunken college kids who like to go to the driving range to try to hit the poor schmuck who has to pick up the balls
Old 11-14-05, 02:53 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
I say it's a wash on the clothing. UCI should make a new rule banning pink clothing, like their previous ban on shorts that aren't black...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.