Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

R.E.Load vs. Chrome

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

R.E.Load vs. Chrome

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-07, 09:40 AM
x

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
R.E.Load vs. Chrome

Tell me how you feel about them, I'm looking at both, but can't decide.
Old 10-16-07, 09:54 AM
jerk store

Bikes: '80s Chimo Garbage fixed 36/14, Centurion fixed 42/17

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What do you like/dislike about each one? Give us something to work with. We're better with specific concerns.
Old 10-16-07, 10:32 AM
x

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
my two main concerns are size and the strap. im looking at the r.e.load courier and for chrome im looking at the metropolis. for size wise the metro is looking the way to go. the straps on the r.e.load bag doesn't look as comfy as the chrome bags do. im also looking at the citizen.
Old 10-16-07, 10:47 AM
I play in the street.

Bikes: 2005 Allez Triple, 1971 Schwinn Varsity Fixed Gear Conversion

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I like my metropolis. My one issue with it (which I don't know if any other bags do better or not) is that I wish there were pockets or straps or something inside the big main area of the bag so that I could hold stuff in a comfortable position. Sometimes I'll put books in there and they'll shift around when I put the bag on and stab me in the back.

Other than that, I love my metro.
Old 10-16-07, 11:03 AM
x

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
how is the size with the metro, im gonna be riding in to school and then work, so im thinking books, clothes, and maybe shoes.
Old 10-16-07, 11:11 AM
not actually Nickatina

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't like the Envelope design of the Chrome bag.

RELoads are cool bags but seem a little overpriced (I guess all bags are nowadays).

Personally I prefer Baileyworks.
Old 10-16-07, 11:15 AM
Ballin' Member

Bikes: Late 80's Raleigh Grand Prix Fixed, IRO Jamie Roy en route

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by hams
how is the size with the metro, im gonna be riding in to school and then work, so im thinking books, clothes, and maybe shoes.
metro should be fine for that, as long as you pack it right.
Old 10-16-07, 11:20 AM
I play in the street.

Bikes: 2005 Allez Triple, 1971 Schwinn Varsity Fixed Gear Conversion

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by hams
That should be just about right. I've done weekend trips taking nothing but my chrome metro.
Old 10-16-07, 11:22 AM
Walks with a limp

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by andre nickatina
I don't like the Envelope design of the Chrome bag.

RELoads are cool bags but seem a little overpriced (I guess all bags are nowadays).

Personally I prefer Baileyworks.
Black Bag. I always wonder about the slant of the chrome bags, and how you could load them effectively.
Old 10-16-07, 11:49 AM
Fixie Punk

Bikes: 2008 Specialized Langster Boston Edition Fixie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a black chrome metro, and the thing is perfect. the buckle allows for easy adjustment, and the cross strap secures the bag firmly. The metro is big enough to fit plenty of items. and it has plenty of pockets for small items. it hasn't given me any problems yet. such a great step up from my old timbuk2.

there actually are pockets inside the big bag area. 2 of them, one on either side of the main space in front of the well that goes under the main bag to catch water. the thing is perfect.
Old 10-16-07, 12:13 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I can't speak for R.E. loads, but coming from a large Timbuk2, the Chrome metro is beyond comparison. The strap is nice and comfy. Like all bags, you're going to have to put some consideration into how you load it, but you'll get pretty good at it with time. I prefer the diagonal weight distribution to the horizontal weight distribution of most other bags; I find that the weight is distributed more evenly across my back, and makes heavy loads easier on the shoulder.

Both companies are well-established bag makers with good reputations. You'll probably be happy either way, though as others have noted, you'll be paying a premium for a R.E.load (small outfit, no batches, low-tech assembly process).
Old 10-16-07, 12:18 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
if i were to get one i'd get the seagull black bag or kemmer's the backside one. both look like they have nice straps.
Old 10-16-07, 12:36 PM
Daily Rider

Bikes: 89 Bridgestone MB-3, 93 Bridgestone RB-1,93 Bridgestone MB-1, 95 Klein Fervor, 02 BikeE AT, 06 Surly Cross-check, 8? Schwinn Frontier

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have the Chrome Metro, Reload Deluxe,and a Baileyworks Courier 253 (it was my birthday...really). The Deluxe is truly massive though not as big as a Chrome Kremlin (had that too). My quick opinions:

Metro is the best fitting for on the bike comfort - don't need the stabilizer strap really, that's how well it fits one me. Can adjust with one hand and the split-strap buckle design is good for getting it off in a hurry. The organizer pockets started to annoy me cuz they are 'flat' so it's kind of hard to get your hand in there. Can't wear it off one shoulder for off bike walking so I switched to the Reload. Kind of gets uncomfortable when it is stuffed. Good size for everyday stuff like clothes, books. Waterproof.

Reload is heavy even when empty. Will fit a ton of crap. So much that I end up throwing everything and then some in. Strap is very stiff so adjusting it on the bike requires riding no-hands. The Deluxe has compression straps which is a godsend when the bag is not full. I bought this bag with the intention of using it as an everyday commuting, air travel carry-on, diaper/kid bag and while it works for those purposes I am finding that I want a slightly smaller bag for most days. I like that it hangs off one shoulder comfortably for when I walk around town. Fairly stable on the bike without the stabilizer strap (I rarely use that strap) but still slowly migrates around sometimes.

The Baileyworks medium 253 Courier is currently the most used bag right now. I can't believe how well it works given the smaller size and the simple strap system. Carries a lot more stuff than it looks like it would. Stable on the bike without the stabilizer strap (have not used this strap yet). Even stuffed, it carries just fine. Can carry off one shoulder comfortably so it is great for just walking around too.

The Reload was pricey. The Chrome was the cheapest (got it used). The Baileyworks was reasonably priced. The Metro is smaller than the Courier. If you do go with the Courier, you might want to consider getting pockets to organize things. I find things get lost inside that cavernous cargo area. If you are not worried about wearing it off the bike go with the Metro. I might be selling mine soon.
1993BstoneRB1
2007IROSSBFGS
1986PanasonicDX4000
2014E-JOE
Old 10-16-07, 02:22 PM
x

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i wasn't sure how the r.e.load bags work, do they not have any additional pockets other than the the main pocket? does it cost extra for more pockets?
Old 10-16-07, 02:41 PM
lost

Bikes: 2004 Raleigh Grand Prix, 2007 Cinelli Vigorelli, 2004 IRO Mark V, polo beater, 50s Vintage Pilot Cruiser

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
my reload deluxe had the two large outside pockets (outside easily fits my onguard ulock), and also has a pocket sewn to the inside, along the outer facing wall, that is about 15" wide. I think you need to pay extra to get the inside pocket sewn in in the smaller bags, and you can definitely get custom stuff like organizers, etc. sewn in too
Old 10-16-07, 02:46 PM
Paste Taster

Bikes: , Jury Bike, Moto Outcast 29, Spicer standard track frame and spicer custom steel sprint frame.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
reload or freight they are both nicer than chrome because they are more box shaped or you could go old school and just get a Manhattan portage or a DeMartini
Old 10-16-07, 03:03 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
chrome just gave a cycling team im a member of a 50% discount on all of their products. I'm so tempted to "renew" my metropolis
Old 10-16-07, 03:18 PM
Invented the Skid Salute

Bikes: EAI Bareknuckle, Schwinn Tandem, Specialized Metal Matrix Comp, Peugeot UO8

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Being from Philly area, I will always support local economies first if it's legit. REload are great bags, hand made, support (my) local economy! go reload
Old 10-16-07, 03:23 PM

Bikes: 2015 Rivendell Clementine, 2019 Rivendell Clem Smith jr, 1988 Mikado DeGasep, Custom Marino SSFGMTB, Marinoni Track, In Progres Clive Stuart

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
Not that this should be a deciding factor, but there are SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO many people with chrome bags. Reload bags always look nice. I kind of wish I had gotten one of those. I sold my chrome metroplis for a timbuk2 backpack. The chrome bag is nice if you carry a lot of stuff all the time. I just like carrying a book, a sketchbook and some other misc stuff. Chrome bags always felt funny with that little stuff in there.
Old 10-16-07, 03:46 PM
x

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i wish i could try bags on, i tried a timbuk2 bag on and a chrome and i like the chrome bag more, but i wanna try a reload bag to see how that feels.
Old 10-16-07, 05:03 PM
resident blockhead

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Can you buy freight bags online?
Old 10-16-07, 05:36 PM

Bikes: 2012 redline conquest pro / 2008 yeti 575 / motobecan fantom cross uno

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Idioteque
chrome just gave a cycling team im a member of a 50% discount on all of their products. I'm so tempted to "renew" my metropolis
you should get me a hipbone, i'll pay you back.
Old 10-16-07, 05:55 PM
meh

Bikes: Rush Hour

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My Metropolis fits a couple binders, textbooks, rain jacket, water bottle, some tools, and street shoes quite effectively.

It takes a bit of experimenting to figure out how to load it for maximum comfort.

And yes, Chromes look and feel goofy when empty. Mine tends to slide around a lot, then again I am the typical roadie with no fat or muscle on my upper body.
Old 10-16-07, 06:27 PM
x

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
does anyone hear have a seagull bag? i was looking into them and they look pretty nice. i need feedback on these bags.
Old 10-16-07, 06:37 PM
huaraches es amor

Bikes: n+1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JellyMeetsJam
Can you buy freight bags online?
probably from King Kog, but if you're gonna try ordering stuff from him directly, good luck!
I'm still waiting for a piece of my bag for almost 3 months...doesn't respond to emails or calls very well.
good products, but the customer service leaves something to be desired.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.