Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Tandem Cycling
Reload this Page >

Brand comparisons: opinions please!

Search
Notices
Tandem Cycling A bicycle built for two. Want to find out more about this wonderful world of tandems? Check out this forum to talk with other tandem enthusiasts. Captains and stokers welcome!

Brand comparisons: opinions please!

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-00, 11:04 AM
Middle-aged Member

Bikes: Touring, Road, Mtn, Tandem

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I've got the Santana literature and they make a good case for themselves as the premier tandem frame builders (leaving aside recumbents, I suppose).

Anyone ridden a variety of brands? What did you think? What did you buy?

Thanks much,

J
Old 09-03-00, 11:17 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just bought a Cannondale MT2000, after looking a several tandems. I test road a Burley Rumba and Bike Friday tandem traveller. I also thought Santana puts out a nice catalogue and was tempted, but you pay a premium for their bikes, even the most basic models (starting at about $2800). A nicely equipped Cannondale can run under $2,000 and is very light, stiff (yet comfortable) and handles very nicely. It is a lot of tandem for the buck. You might want to look at various tandem reviews on road**************** (check the tandem section). I was trying to fit my 7 year old as a stoker and the small stoker position on the C'dale was 16", which he could fit onto without need for kidback adapter or crank arm shorteners.
Old 09-04-00, 12:22 PM
Middle-aged Member

Bikes: Touring, Road, Mtn, Tandem

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks for the reference to the review site

Steve,

Thanks for the review site reference (somehow I hadn't found that one in all my looking)--one minor point: the site doesn't have an "s"--www.roadbikereview.com.

The info in the tandem section is rather light too. Let's all chip in our personal info to make this a more useful reference!

I think we've about settled on a used model as a way to keep the price down.

Ciao,

J
Old 03-02-01, 05:43 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My girl friend and I also purchased a Cannondale MT2000 after test riding quite a few. The Santana's are beautiful bikes, but I feel the C'dale is a best buy for the money. light, responsive, good components etc. and less than $2000.
Old 04-30-01, 08:36 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My girlfriends parents just bought a Bike Friday (Family Touring model) which we were able to ride last night.

It seems like a good bike for the money (less than a grand I think). Solid build with decent components. The only real problem with it I had was that the riding position seemed very upright for both of us (I'm 6', she's 5'4"). That can probably be fixed in the front with a longer stem, but I don't see a solution for the back.

It's the first tandem I've rode, so I couldn't say too much for it, but it seemed like a great bike for weekend rides and such. I didn't feel that it would be comfortable for long tours, though.
Old 05-11-01, 05:23 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think it is imperative that the stoker must be very satisfied with the fit and feel of the bike. If the stoker's not happy, aint nobody happy

We bought a Santana Visa, looked at the co-motions and a couple of other Santana's. I loved the co-motion, but my wife didn't care for the soft ride beam, hence the Visa.
Old 05-12-01, 09:28 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
We have had a year 2000 RT3000 Cannondale for six months now and really love it. However, I had to replace the Coda seat immediately because it was so uncomfortable. Now we are having major problems with the Coda rear suspension post which is close to seizing after being in the rain only twice.
Old 06-01-01, 02:23 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I previously owned a Burley Samba Softride. My stoker disliked the beam so we sold it and are ordering a Calfee Tetra Tetra custom carbon tandem. We test rode Santana, (Al and Ti) Seven Ti, Co-Motion steel, and several Calfee's before deciding on this one. The Calfees ride is the smoothest we experienced, on par with the Seven Ti. The Calfee has quicker steering geometry than most other tandems on the market. I recommend it highly if cost isn't an object and you prefer sporty riding to touring.
The bike will weigh approx. 30lbs.
Old 06-04-01, 10:57 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I saw my first Calfee in Pendelton earlier this summer. What gorgeous bikes! Let us know how you like it. Are you going to use it for racing, time trials or ??? I am trying to get my stoker to do a couple of time trials with me on our Santana this summer. She loves the speed, but needs to ditch that heart rate monitor - or learn to really enjoy that anaerobic zone!
Old 06-04-01, 12:57 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
We're going for the ultimate beauty. Spec includes that "shade-shifting" pain that will change color from a silver-blue to magenta depending on the sun's angle. We're going to leave the forks and rear stays clearcoated carbon. DaVinci crankset, Ultegra, XTR, Mavic CXP-33's and Phil hubs.
WE don't do any formal competition, just like to ride fast and my stoker likes having "the best" in her bikes. We do century rides a few times a year. I might be able to convince her to do the Davis Double on the Calfee next year. We'd trade off stoking.
I did a TT once on my single, but I don't like pushing that hard. DC's are my most extreme form of self-punishment except for an occasional 6hr. Mtb Team race.
Old 06-04-01, 01:13 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The paint job I saw on the Calfee was Superb! Very attractive bike, nice lines, clean joints, impeccable paint. I’d be afraid to put one on my roof rack! Always good to have a stoker with taste.

You’d trade off stoking for a double century? We don’t have that option due to the size difference. My rear admiral is starting to trust my judgement a little more, but I’d love to have her up front (for limited periods of time)….. I’m sure it would be fresh perspective for both of us.
Old 06-04-01, 02:36 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes, the cable routing (in frame, a'la Klein) is a nice touch, and all those sexy bulges... I think the color shifting paint is going to be awesome on it.
My stoker is 5'4" and I'm 5'8". We're having the frame sized as a slight compromise for standover in front (a little short for me and a little tall for her).
She took me on a 35 mile club ride, once for my birthday, as the stoker. It was great. You should have seen me dive for the brakes at the first stop-sign. LOL! Some habits are so hard to break!
We figured, on the DC, that trading off would help keep us "fresher" than being stuck in one place all that time.

BTW, you can e-mail me at maury@lowepro.com if you wish.
Old 06-21-01, 09:26 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
We (wife and I) just got a CoMotion Supremo. WOW. Our first outing was the NW Tandem rally. We got it to replace our 8 year old CoMotion Double Espresso. They're made right here in Eugene and we wouldn't really consider anything else. We both felt that if we never rode the bike again, we got our $4000 worth in that one weekend.
Old 08-25-01, 01:58 PM

Bikes: Kona Dr Dew, Lemond Le Alp, Mongoss NX-7, Trek T200 Tandem

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've heard that Trek will be re-entering the tandem market next year. Should be interesting to see what they do this time.
Old 08-27-01, 12:49 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rode the Santana (Alum. with couplers, and Ti), Seven Ti, Several Calfee Tetra Tetra's (Carbon), Co-Motion steel, ibis cousin itt and I owned a Steel Jeffrey Richman Custom and a Burley Samba Softride.
We jsut took deliery of our own Calfee after months of anticipation. It was a real close call between the Seven and the Calfee. The Carbon tandem's ride is incredible. Strong, stiff in the right places and bump absorbing in the right places. It's a hard to describe sensation.
We were willing to pay ridiculous amounts for what we felt was our ultimate lifetime tandem.
IMHO the Calfee is the quickest handling tandem on the market.
Santana is at the other extreme with a really stable but slower steering geometry. CoMotions and the Burly Paso Doble are great mid-priced (compared to the Ti and carbon offerings), well built and still pretty sporty bikes.
Old 08-27-01, 01:26 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Maury - did you get the Tetra built up yet? Link us some photo's eh? We are on hold with replacing the Visa until we test ride the RT 1000 Frame. It's been a long few months without a twofer.
Old 09-24-10, 08:50 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've had three tandems in the last 35 years all bought used. The first was a Gitane with double lateral frame (old style) but the heavier tubes actually gave it a fair amount of stiffness. Next a short wheel base, Bob Jackson curved seat tube, 531single bike tubing, again double laterals but thin pencil stays. Very responsive, very light (for its time) and a little whippy unless you are very steady riders and don't try to stand up while climbing. The short back end was good for my short wife. Then an older Santa: longer, very stable, stiff enough to climb out of the saddle but not as much fun. The new ones are more responsive, I believe, as are the Co-motions.
Michael
Old 09-24-10, 08:58 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
90' Burley Duet, Cannondale Rt3000, then a Supremo. Got the hot's for one of those lightweight Calfee's, 22.86lbs.
Old 09-24-10, 10:05 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi,

We rode an aluminum Santana Sovereign for 4 years and then purchased a Calfee Tetra.

The Santana was a great bike, stiff and stable.
The Calfee steers a little quicker (more like a single bike) and is much more comfy on chip sealed roads her in SW Idaho.
I would suggest steel over aluminum if your roads are rough.

I have never ridden a co-motion but see lots of happy owners on them.

The descision was easy after a test ride. We also test road a built up Seven tandem that was nice but it was not set up for a rear disc brake, which is what we wanted. In the end the stoker selected the bike and we rally enjoy it.

rob
Old 09-26-10, 05:38 PM

Bikes: Custom Zona c/f tandem + Scott Plasma single

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
Have ridden 30-some brands/models of tandems in our 35 years as tandemistas.
That includes all major and many custom US brands, Euro and Asian twicers, from the $400 real steel to $13,000 titanium.
Our personal tandems have included:
1. Follis, French steel production, put about 5,000 'learning miles' on that one.
2. Assenmacher, US, Reynolds 521, cuistom, 64.000 miles.
3. Colin Laing, US, again 531, custom, 56,000 miles.
4. Co-Motion, US, Tange Prestige, custom, 57,000 miles.
5. Zona, US, carbon fiber, custom, 30,000+ miles (so far!)
Our choice for freame:
1. Carbon fiber, 2. steel, 3. titanium 4 aluminum.
Have not yet ridden bamboo tandem (did ride a Calfee single: great) or magnesium.
If price is not an overbearing issue: carbon fiber.
Pedal on TWOgether!
Rudy and Kay/zonatandem
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
R&K pstr.jpg (14.3 KB, 33 views)
Old 09-26-10, 06:41 PM
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1461 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 380 Posts
Originally Posted by JMCraig
I've got the Santana literature and they make a good case for themselves as the premier tandem frame builders (leaving aside recumbents, I suppose).

J
Santana does make an impressive case for themselves. However, a lot of people find their marketing literature to be over the top.

Doesn't mean Santanas are bad bikes. It does mean you might want to question some of Sanatana's claims about their proprietary approaches.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Old 09-26-10, 06:56 PM

Bikes: Custom Zona c/f tandem + Scott Plasma single

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
Agree with above statement by Merlinextralight.
Yes, have ridden several models of Santanas throughout the years. Actually spent 3 months riding a 'tana; rode like a Cadillac but it just had no 'oomph' when stepping on the pedals; handling was way to neutral/slow for us and it was a bit on the heavy side. Their sales hype is a bit egregious and even annoying. Do they build a good tandem? Yes, but others build just as well, if not better.
Ride and compare . . . you are the ultimate judge.
Old 09-27-10, 12:26 AM
shut up and ride

Bikes: supersix hi-mod,burley duet tandem,woodrup track,cannondale cross,specialized road

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by merlinextraligh
Santana does make an impressive case for themselves. However, a lot of people find their marketing literature to be over the top.

Doesn't mean Santanas are bad bikes. It does mean you might want to question some of Sanatana's claims about their proprietary approaches.
you do realize the the op was posted 10 years ago...
Old 09-27-10, 06:01 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I have a Santana and love it. However, if you're going to spend between $3k and $12K for a bike, take a trip to a place that has several different bikes that you can try. Only then can you make a good decision.
Old 09-28-10, 04:41 PM
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1350 Post(s)
Liked 2,496 Times in 1,465 Posts
Originally Posted by zzzwillzzz
you do realize the the op was posted 10 years ago...
Santana bashing never goes out of style. One notable brand basher NEVER misses a chance to bash Santana no matter how old the post or the issue or no matter how egregious and annoying others may find his posts.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.