Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

Flykly Smart Wheel?

Search
Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

Flykly Smart Wheel?

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-13, 06:07 PM

Bikes: '15 Novara Gotham,'10 Specialized Roubaix, Stump FSR 29, 9zero7 Fat bike,'13 Raleigh Cadent i11 (stolen 3/2015)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Flykly Smart Wheel?

Someone pointed me to this. I did a search on these forums and found no references. (update: I did a search after posting this, and still found no references so the search seems flakey and apologies if this has been covered and I simply couldn't find it.)

https://www.flykly.com/
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...ly-smart-wheel

Have any electric bike experts on this forum checked this out?
What do you think?

Last edited by EdZilla; 10-21-13 at 06:15 PM.
Old 10-21-13, 06:58 PM

Bikes: '15 Novara Gotham,'10 Specialized Roubaix, Stump FSR 29, 9zero7 Fat bike,'13 Raleigh Cadent i11 (stolen 3/2015)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hmmmm...

Looks a lot like one of these:
https://senseable.mit.edu/copenhagenwheel/
Old 10-24-13, 01:24 PM
eBike Fan/Extreme DIYer

Bikes: 2013 Motobecane Gran Turismo w/ 24V/900W motor and LiFePO4 30ah pack

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I think it sounds too good to be true.
Old 10-24-13, 07:42 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
See review from Pete at ElectricBikeReport.com

https://electricbikereport.com/flykly...lectric-video/
Old 10-25-13, 09:52 AM

Bikes: too many of all kinds

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 335 Posts
Here is the link you were looking for in this forum:
https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...this-realistic
Old 10-28-13, 09:14 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No, I posted mine on 10-21 and the one you reference was posted a day after on 10-22 so it wouldn't have shown up in my searches.

Originally Posted by chas58
Here is the link you were looking for in this forum:
https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...this-realistic
The review from electricbikereport isn't much more than a re-iteration of the marketing claims you can find from flykly directly.

I'd like to see some genuine testimonials. Since the copenhagen wheel has been out a while, it seems like there should be some real experience to draw from.
Old 10-31-13, 10:57 AM

Bikes: too many of all kinds

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 335 Posts
I don't think it is out yet:

https://www.superpedestrian.com/

so, no testimonials.

But, yeah, without testimonials, it is all marketing hot air. A “250w” isn’t really 250watts, but I can go 20mph on a small “250 watt” hub motor. If it is regen, it is direct drive and not geared. A 12AH battery might be able to get you 30miles if you pedal a lot and don’t have hills. Performance wise, it is not a lot different than the two bikes I built, its just that everything is in the wheel (where my battery/controller are not in the wheel). The cost and the weight are impressive (mine cost about $400 and weighs about 10-11 lbs with similar batteries).
Old 11-03-13, 09:58 PM

Bikes: Specialized Crosstrail Sport Disc, Brompton M6

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Assuming I understood the Kickstarter page correctly, the concepts I like are putting the battery into the hub itself, which of course means that you're not searching for place somewhere on the frame to hang it, and controlling it via your smartphone. No cables.

I was getting excited about it and was beginning to think I'd done my electric conversion too soon when I realized that it costs you your rear hub gears and it's not disc brake compatible.

I'd be interested in a front hub, disc brake version.
Old 11-03-13, 10:08 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I thought having your battery in the wheel was a bad thing? Having to keep that weight spinning is very energy intensive.
Old 11-03-13, 11:22 PM
Transportation Cyclist

Bikes: Too many to list, some I built myself including the frame. I "do" ~ Human-Only-Pedal-Powered-Cycles, Human-Electric-Hybrid-Cycles, Human-IC-Hybrid-Cycles, and one Human-IC-Electric-3way-Hybrid-Cycle

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Actually, more weight in the wheel just turns the wheel into a bigger flywheel (energy storage in the form of rotational momentum). So it takes more effort to accelerate and get the wheel spinning but once its spinning its got stored energy that can keep you moving further if you stop pedaling and turn off the motor.

Not a good thing in stop and go traffic (any added weight to the bike is not good in stop and go where your constantly using lots of energy to accelerate that extra weight and then wasting that energy and wearing out your brakes faster when it comes time to brake) since the extra weight has not only linear momentum but rotational momentum as well that ********-s acceleration and then gets wasted in braking over and over again (even with regenerative braking capabilities you never get it all back and usually only a small percentage).

On the open road long streatches it don't matter, just a little more time and distance to get up to speed and then more stored energy if you need to take a breather and just roll along on the built up momentum.

--------------------------------------------------------

Okay, now that I answered the technical question. I'll comment on the actual design idea itself.

I think this would be mainly a good thing for a person who has only an occasional use for it. For example lets say a commuter who works a Tuesday-Saturday five day work week with Sunday & Monday off work. Actually a quite common shift and their local commuter bus route (with bike racks on the bus) runs Monday-Friday so for the first four weekdays the commuter in question takes the bus from the town or subdivision where s/he lives into town with their bike to get to the bus stop and then goes on the bus rack and then bike around town for work and errands and then bus back home again same drill. But for their Saturday shift they currently drive an automobile because they consider the distance too far to ride the whole way there and back on the bike.

Such a commuter could just buy one of these as a second rear wheel with its own tire and just use it to make that long ride on Saturday with no bus running manageable instead of driving a car.

Because its all one unit fully contained in the wheel its just a simple matter of swapping out the rear wheel for that one day.

I could see this or something like it working excellently for those kind of situations. But short of those I think there are a lot better options.

Last edited by turbo1889; 11-03-13 at 11:24 PM. Reason: even though I was not using "re-tard-s" (without dahses) as an insult but rather in a technical sense the censorship system astrixed it out.
Old 05-28-14, 06:36 AM

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Trucker, Salsa Mukluk, Riese & Muller Supercharger GT Rohloff (Forthcoming)

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 22 Posts

Andrew
Old 06-07-14, 07:47 AM

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Trucker, Salsa Mukluk, Riese & Muller Supercharger GT Rohloff (Forthcoming)

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 22 Posts
Another "first impressions" review. This time from Turbo Bob.

All in all it worked just as promised. They have really put it though its paces during development so it should be a trouble-free E-wheel that performs like many will like. With the delivery at the Italian factory of a new casting machine for the hub, production will ramp up quickly (till now each hub has been CNC machined, nice, but time consuming). The wheels are assembled and shipped from both a New York facility and one in Italy. Some Asian parts are used, but on the whole they are making and assembling each wheel in house.
Andrew
Old 07-03-14, 06:56 PM

Bikes: Pedego City Commuter

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Aushiker
Another "first impressions" review. This time from Turbo Bob.

Andrew
While it may not be the ideal solution for everyone I am excited about the simplicity of this approach. I almost bought one during the kickstarter campaign but decided against it because I didn't like the single rear speed approach for my varied terrain.
Old 07-29-14, 09:50 PM

Bikes: Specialized Crosstrail Sport Disc, Brompton M6

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I, too, would be interested in a front wheel, disc brake version.