I know this may have been asked 10 million times, but finally broke down and got the finish line chain cleaner.
Now wondering if I did it right. Here were my steps:
1. dry roll chain backwards thru cleaning tool
2. wiped off a bit of gunk on the outside of the chain and roller wheels
3. used degreaser and rolled chain thru about 25 times.
4. wiped off smears on roller wheels and chainring
5. slowly when thru about 1 1/2 length of the chain dripping lube on each roller [ I lost track of where I was and wanted to make sure got entire chain.]
6. let set overnight before riding
Anything I did wrong or missed? Bike does seem to ride easier, but not sure how often to do this.
It doesn't yet seem totally clean, but i didn't want to overdo it.
It seems like it would be easy to get too much degreaser on bike and residual may work against cleaning.
The chain clean unit seems to clean up with water.