Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 20 of 20
  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    My Bikes
    trek 5200, rocky mountain element race, schwinn cruiser ss
    Posts
    9
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Problem truing Shimano WH-7850 C24 CL front wheel

    I have a new set of Shimano WH-7850 C24 CL wheels and am having a problem truing up the front wheel. the wheel has 16 bladed spokes and is radially laced. What is happening is that when in the truing stand, I get the wheel trued almost perfect. But when spinning the wheel in the stand, the indicator rubs right where the spoke enters the rim. This happens on each side at every other spoke (due to the spokes going to alternating sides of the hub). I hope I explained that right. I also had the same problem with Shimano WH-RS80 (same rim and spoke count as the dura ace) front wheel. Anyone else have this problem? Any tips or tricks?

    Thanks

  2. #2
    Bikaholic blamp28's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Western, Michigan
    My Bikes
    Trek Fuel 90, Giant OCR, Rans Screamer Tandem
    Posts
    1,467
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    These are new and need to be trued? The shop you bought them from should be able to help you with them. What did you do to solve the problem with the last set?
    Trek Fuel XC MTB, Giant OCR Road Bike, Rans Screamer - Tandem

  3. #3
    Senior Member Jed19's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    3,898
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bikerx68 View Post
    I have a new set of Shimano WH-7850 C24 CL wheels and am having a problem truing up the front wheel. the wheel has 16 bladed spokes and is radially laced. What is happening is that when in the truing stand, I get the wheel trued almost perfect. But when spinning the wheel in the stand, the indicator rubs right where the spoke enters the rim. This happens on each side at every other spoke (due to the spokes going to alternating sides of the hub). I hope I explained that right. I also had the same problem with Shimano WH-RS80 (same rim and spoke count as the dura ace) front wheel. Anyone else have this problem? Any tips or tricks?
    Thanks
    Are you using a spoke holder to prevent the spokes from twisting/windup? I have the C50, same spokes and never had any problems.
    Regards,

    Jed

  4. #4
    Senior Member Jed19's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    3,898
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by blamp28 View Post
    These are new and need to be trued? The shop you bought them from should be able to help you with them. What did you do to solve the problem with the last set?
    How does this answer his question?

    Sometimes, a wheel could go out of true from hitting an unexpected pothole, and maybe he bought it from a seller a thousand miles away.
    Regards,

    Jed

  5. #5
    Bikaholic blamp28's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Western, Michigan
    My Bikes
    Trek Fuel 90, Giant OCR, Rans Screamer Tandem
    Posts
    1,467
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jed19 View Post
    How does this answer his question?

    Sometimes, a wheel could go out of true from hitting an unexpected pothole, and maybe he bought it from a seller a thousand miles away.
    1st question is just to ask why a brand new wheel needs truing and suggesting that the seller should be able to help/
    2nd question is to suggest that the solution used on the previous wheelset with the same spoke pattern and problem might help on this one.
    Trek Fuel XC MTB, Giant OCR Road Bike, Rans Screamer - Tandem

  6. #6
    cervelo4me
    Guest
    this is why i would only buy new

  7. #7
    cab horn
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Toronto
    My Bikes
    1987 Bianchi Campione
    Posts
    28,295
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The OP doesn't know how to properly true and tension balance the wheel. Either that or the rims are bent, but to be bent in the symmetrical pattern the OP suggest is ridiculous.
    Mes compaingnons cui j'amoie et cui j'aim,... Me di, chanson.

  8. #8
    cab horn
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Toronto
    My Bikes
    1987 Bianchi Campione
    Posts
    28,295
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by blamp28 View Post
    1st question is just to ask why a brand new wheel needs truing
    Sounds like you've never assembled or looked at any brand new wheel out of a box. Shipped directly from a supplier or distributor.
    Mes compaingnons cui j'amoie et cui j'aim,... Me di, chanson.

  9. #9
    Bikaholic blamp28's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Western, Michigan
    My Bikes
    Trek Fuel 90, Giant OCR, Rans Screamer Tandem
    Posts
    1,467
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cervelo4me View Post
    this is why i would only buy new
    Quote Originally Posted by bikerx68
    I have a new set of Shimano WH-7850 C24 CL wheels
    The OP says they are new.
    Trek Fuel XC MTB, Giant OCR Road Bike, Rans Screamer - Tandem

  10. #10
    Bikaholic blamp28's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Western, Michigan
    My Bikes
    Trek Fuel 90, Giant OCR, Rans Screamer Tandem
    Posts
    1,467
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by operator View Post
    Sounds like you've never assembled or looked at any brand new wheel out of a box. Shipped directly from a supplier or distributor.
    Just lucky I guess. I have seen plenty needing more tension but rarely needing trueing. I might also expect a little more from a Dura-ace level wheelset than from a run of the mill low or even midrange set.
    Last edited by blamp28; 03-08-11 at 03:52 PM.
    Trek Fuel XC MTB, Giant OCR Road Bike, Rans Screamer - Tandem

  11. #11
    Senior Member Jed19's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    3,898
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My bet is that the OP is not very adept at truing wheels (bladed spokes, especially).

    He needs to use a holder to prevent the bladed spokes from twisting up. Also, I hated/loathed the spoke wrench Shimano supplied with my wheelset. The ParkTool blue handle spoke wrench is the correct size for those nipples. I bought one from E-bay for about $6. I recommend them.
    Regards,

    Jed

  12. #12
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    My Bikes
    trek 5200, rocky mountain element race, schwinn cruiser ss
    Posts
    9
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here is more info about the wheels:

    -they were bought new from www.wiggle.com and arrived in factory boxes, were and still are within about .5 mm true
    - I do know how to true a wheel, have been truing wheels for about 10 years on my personal bikes and friends bikes.
    - they did come with the shimano spoke wrenches and I am using them properly to prevent twisting/windup on the spokes.

    Let me elaborate on the issue: the wheels would be considered trued within spec by any shop that looked at them. I just have never seen this type of issue before on a wheel. It seems to me like the spoke tension is pulling the rim laterally out ever so slightly in the direction that the spoke is pulling. I don't have a tensionometer so I can't give a number on amount of tension, but using the "pluck the spoke" method, the spokes are all very close in tone, if not exact.

  13. #13
    Senior Member Jed19's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    3,898
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bikerx68 View Post
    Here is more info about the wheels:

    -they were bought new from www.wiggle.com and arrived in factory boxes, were and still are within about .5 mm true
    - I do know how to true a wheel, have been truing wheels for about 10 years on my personal bikes and friends bikes.
    - they did come with the shimano spoke wrenches and I am using them properly to prevent twisting/windup on the spokes.

    Let me elaborate on the issue: the wheels would be considered trued within spec by any shop that looked at them. I just have never seen this type of issue before on a wheel. It seems to me like the spoke tension is pulling the rim laterally out ever so slightly in the direction that the spoke is pulling. I don't have a tensionometer so I can't give a number on amount of tension, but using the "pluck the spoke" method, the spokes are all very close in tone, if not exact.
    Then, what is the issue? If the lateral trueness are within .5mm tolerance, then that is good. This tolerance is what I aim for in my wheelsets.
    Regards,

    Jed

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    4,151
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am not sure, but it sounds like you are trying to fix something that isn't broken.

  15. #15
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    My Bikes
    trek 5200, rocky mountain element race, schwinn cruiser ss
    Posts
    9
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    after thinking more about it, I am going to de-tension the the wheel a bit and then retrue to see if that makes a difference. they may have come from the factory with too high a tension which could be causing the rub with the truing indicators

  16. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    1,529
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think you are on the right track in reducing spoke tension if the braking surface is being deformed at each spoke on a given side.

  17. #17
    Gluteus Enormus mmmdonuts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    My Bikes
    Yes
    Posts
    2,230
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is it even possible for a lightweight 16 spoke wheel to be perfectly true? It sounds to me like a normal amount of deformation considering the large gaps between same side spokes.
    Everybody's got plans... until they get hit.
    - Mike Tyson

  18. #18
    Certified Bike Brat Burton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Montreal, Quebec
    Posts
    4,203
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Both the rims you referenced are composite rims and its definately not what I would consider normal behavior. Haven`t any first hand experience myself but would suggest you contact Shimano tech support directly with an inquiry.

  19. #19
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    My Bikes
    trek 5200, rocky mountain element race, schwinn cruiser ss
    Posts
    9
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All, thanks for the great info. I am buying a Park tension meter so I know that I am within spec for the tension before I hit the road to test.

  20. #20
    Senior Member Jed19's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    3,898
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bikerx68 View Post
    All, thanks for the great info. I am buying a Park tension meter so I know that I am within spec for the tension before I hit the road to test.
    Let us know how things are resolved.
    Regards,

    Jed

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •