Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-24-12, 02:57 PM   #26
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com
Thread Starter
 
cudak888's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Southern Florida
Bikes: http://www.theheadbadge.com
Posts: 22,744
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Frame work complete:





Fork straight:



-Kurt
__________________
cudak888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-12, 04:19 PM   #27
MrEss
likes to ride an old bike
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Madison
Bikes:
Posts: 673
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Wow, Kurt. That's looking pretty good.

It's a pity one couldn't make a self-supporting hobby out of doing just this work and flipping them once they're repainted. It's so much fun, but you just can't sell 'em for half of what a repaint costs.
MrEss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-12, 04:36 PM   #28
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com
Thread Starter
 
cudak888's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Southern Florida
Bikes: http://www.theheadbadge.com
Posts: 22,744
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrEss View Post
It's a pity one couldn't make a self-supporting hobby out of doing just this work and flipping them once they're repainted. It's so much fun, but you just can't sell 'em for half of what a repaint costs.
This frame should stand as a testament to the fact that it cannot be done, for I bought it as a quick strip-and-flip. Somehow, the frame alignment slipped by me completely. I was very lucky to - just barely - make back the $150 investment on the parts, which allows me to let the frame go cheap, given that it is an (essentially imperceptible) wreck salvage.

Mind you, I'm leaving it in primer. I know I'll wind up in the red if I even consider replicating the original Competition 12 paint job.

-Kurt
__________________
cudak888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-12, 08:08 PM   #29
Michael Angelo 
Senior Member
 
Michael Angelo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Hurricane Alley , Florida
Bikes: Treks (USA), Schwinn Paramount, Schwinn letour,Raleigh Team Professional, Gazelle GoldLine Racing, 2 Super Mondias, Carlton Professional.
Posts: 3,775
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Good job, came out really nice.
Michael Angelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-12, 10:54 PM   #30
Captain Blight
Senior Member
 
Captain Blight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Minneapolis
Bikes: -1973 Motobecane Mirage -197? Velosolex L'Etoile -'71 Raleigh Super Course
Posts: 2,473
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Kurt, have you tried a carbide tilecutting bit chucked into a Dremel? Does a fantastic job of filing in tight spots. Light pressure, medium speed, lots of patience; but no wrist ache.

I truly don't understand how Raleigh's brazing could be so consistently shoddy. How did those men meet their own eyes in the mirror when they were shaving in the morning? And it isn't just Raleigh! A friend has a Woodrup with the brake bridge a full 1/8 off axis. Seriously, you can spot the eff-up from yards away.
Captain Blight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-12, 03:47 AM   #31
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com
Thread Starter
 
cudak888's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Southern Florida
Bikes: http://www.theheadbadge.com
Posts: 22,744
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Blight View Post
Kurt, have you tried a carbide tilecutting bit chucked into a Dremel? Does a fantastic job of filing in tight spots. Light pressure, medium speed, lots of patience; but no wrist ache.
Maybe, but not this time. Too much effort - this is where I stop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Blight View Post
I truly don't understand how Raleigh's brazing could be so consistently shoddy. How did those men meet their own eyes in the mirror when they were shaving in the morning?
Ever seen the sequel to "Are You Being Served?" with the old farmhand? Just your average Raleigh brazer

-Kurt
__________________
cudak888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-12, 05:15 AM   #32
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!
 
non-fixie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Rhine delta
Bikes: all the ones nobody else seems to want ...
Posts: 4,822
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cudak888 View Post
I don't think the dark green paint belongs on that frame either. Mine looks like this:

non-fixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-12, 12:17 PM   #33
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com
Thread Starter
 
cudak888's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Southern Florida
Bikes: http://www.theheadbadge.com
Posts: 22,744
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by non-fixie View Post
I don't think the dark green paint belongs on that frame either. Mine looks like this:
Is yours a 1984 or a 1985? It doesn't look like the catalog's Iridescent Green at all:



-Kurt
__________________
cudak888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-12, 01:10 PM   #34
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!
 
non-fixie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Rhine delta
Bikes: all the ones nobody else seems to want ...
Posts: 4,822
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Serial # is WA400652. I'd say that was '84. I must admit your thread got me puzzled. Specs are a bit off too. I'm pretty sure the bar tape is original, which means the Shimano 600 brakes would be original too, whereas the brochure says they should be Weinmann 405 ...
non-fixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-12, 01:21 PM   #35
himespau 
Senior Member
 
himespau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Louisville, KY
Bikes:
Posts: 9,598
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
That looks like it could end up as a really nice bike again. Why would they chrome the stays and then paint over them?
himespau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-12, 01:58 PM   #36
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!
 
non-fixie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Rhine delta
Bikes: all the ones nobody else seems to want ...
Posts: 4,822
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Here's another '84 Competition:

http://hilarystone.com/images/sale%2...ition-1983.jpg

I think that the pics in the brochure don't show the colors very well. I know that the Scirocco 12 is also a much lighter red in reality than the picture suggests.

Last edited by non-fixie; 03-17-16 at 02:38 PM. Reason: typo
non-fixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-12, 03:12 PM   #37
bibliobob 
Senior Member
 
bibliobob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Ventura, CA
Bikes: '53/'54 Bianchi CDM, late '50s Vic Edwards faux Peugeot, '62 Frejus, '62/63 Cinelli SC, '62ish Altenburger Cinelli Mod B, '72 Motobecane Grand Record, '73-74 Colngao Super, '74 Masi GC, '78 faux Confente, '82 Medici Gran Turismo, '85 Eddy Merckx Pro
Posts: 2,957
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cudak888 View Post
Interesting - and ironic that someone should have done so to a Condor (which, when all is said and done, is on equal if not higher footing than your average Gios).

-Kurt
+1. A nice Condor is higher up the ladder, in my book. Certainly fancier, in any event. Ride quality might be a crap shoot...
__________________
I grow old, I grow old. I shall wear the bottoms of my trousers rolled.
bibliobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-12, 03:32 PM   #38
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com
Thread Starter
 
cudak888's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Southern Florida
Bikes: http://www.theheadbadge.com
Posts: 22,744
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by non-fixie View Post
Serial # is WA400652. I'd say that was '84. I must admit your thread got me puzzled. Specs are a bit off too. I'm pretty sure the bar tape is original, which means the Shimano 600 brakes would be original too, whereas the brochure says they should be Weinmann 405 ...
It doesn't add up with the 1983 Competition 12 either. My bet is that it's an '85 made in '84. Would explain the Shimano too, as it would have been a good next-year upgrade for the Comp 12 in the Raleigh lineup.


Quote:
Originally Posted by himespau View Post
That looks like it could end up as a really nice bike again. Why would they chrome the stays and then paint over them?
The dropout biting surface was left chrome from factory. They chromed part of the stays to ensure the transition from bare steel to chrome would be gradual and hidden under the paint.

-Kurt
__________________
cudak888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-12, 03:41 PM   #39
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!
 
non-fixie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Rhine delta
Bikes: all the ones nobody else seems to want ...
Posts: 4,822
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cudak888 View Post
My bet is that it's an '85 made in '84.
In January?

Edit: no, the European '85 Competition is a completely different animal:
http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=73564

Last edited by non-fixie; 09-25-12 at 03:51 PM. Reason: satisfying curiosity
non-fixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-12, 04:49 PM   #40
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com
Thread Starter
 
cudak888's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Southern Florida
Bikes: http://www.theheadbadge.com
Posts: 22,744
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by non-fixie View Post
In January?

Edit: no, the European '85 Competition is a completely different animal:
http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=73564
Hmm. Give me some time to do some research and mull it over.

-Kurt
__________________
cudak888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-12, 10:29 AM   #41
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!
 
non-fixie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Rhine delta
Bikes: all the ones nobody else seems to want ...
Posts: 4,822
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cudak888 View Post
Hmm. Give me some time to do some research and mull it over.

-Kurt
How's the mullin' going? Meantime my Competition has gotten a little brother. This one's from December '83 and has the correct Weinmann 405 brakes.

non-fixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-12, 08:07 PM   #42
23skidoo 
Gone World Hepster
 
23skidoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Lincoln, NE
Bikes:
Posts: 1,273
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I just wanted to update Kurt's thread as I'm the new owner. I've got a terrific powder guy who opened a shop in his garage last year after doing high-end aircraft finish work for a large executive aircraft refurb outfit here in town. Trying to match the original paint proved hopeless, so we tried to come up with something close. Here's a short video of the powder going on and a few snapshots of the finished product. Now if someone out there has an appropriate head badge, I'm searching.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YUe9426w5SM
__________________
77 Trek TX300--78 Trek TX-300--79 Trek 510--83 Trek 520--83 Nickel Plated Trek 400--86 Trek Elance 400--75 Gitane Interclub--73 Viscount 'Death Fork SS--76 Viscount Aerospace Pro--80's Diamant Verbinnen--80's Basso--90's Montagner SS--84 SR Explorer MTB
23skidoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-12, 04:33 PM   #43
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!
 
non-fixie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Rhine delta
Bikes: all the ones nobody else seems to want ...
Posts: 4,822
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Thanks for posting the sequel. I was kind of wondering what happened. Nice color too.
__________________
"To prepare for a race there is nothing better than a good pheasant, some champagne and a woman" - Jacques Anquetil
non-fixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-12, 06:19 PM   #44
TimmyT 
Keener splendor
 
TimmyT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: New York, NY
Bikes: Nigel Dean Tour Ace, Ciocc Designer '84, Simoncini SLX (x2), Lynskey Litespeed Ti, Lemond Poprad, '69 Peter Cockburn Audax
Posts: 2,199
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Nice job. That frame looks great. When Kurt posted it for sale, it was a real basket case. It looks like it's going to turn out really well.

If you don't mind me asking, how much was the powder coat, and did you strip the frame further? I've got one coming up in the next month or so.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craigslist View Post
Note to you BLOWHARD MORONS out there: The fork is not bent. Most PEUGEOTS of the '70s forks DID NOT line up with the head tube angle. This is normal. The last pic is from the 1972 Dutch catalog showing this EXACT MODEL in diagram. Keep your comments to yourself......
It's pronounced, "Co-burn."
TimmyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-12, 06:56 PM   #45
mkeller234
Rustbelt Rider
 
mkeller234's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Canton, OH
Bikes: 1990 Trek 1420 - 1978 Raleigh Professional - 1973 Schwinn Collegiate - 1974 Schwinn Suburban
Posts: 8,295
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Wow, the finished pictures look very nice. I'm impressed.
__________________
|^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||
|......GO.BROWNS........| ||'|";, ___.
|_..._..._______===|=||_|__|..., ] -
"(@)'(@)"""''"**|(@)(@)*****''(@)
mkeller234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-12, 07:08 PM   #46
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com
Thread Starter
 
cudak888's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Southern Florida
Bikes: http://www.theheadbadge.com
Posts: 22,744
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 23skidoo View Post
Trying to match the original paint proved hopeless, so we tried to come up with something close.
I'd venture to say it's virtually identical to the original, even though it's not a translucent with a base color. As I said before, it came out stunning.

The headbadge you need is identical to any other '70s Raleigh headbadge - even a Sports will have it.

-Kurt
__________________
cudak888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-12, 08:23 PM   #47
23skidoo 
Gone World Hepster
 
23skidoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Lincoln, NE
Bikes:
Posts: 1,273
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimmyT View Post
Nice job. That frame looks great. When Kurt posted it for sale, it was a real basket case. It looks like it's going to turn out really well.

If you don't mind me asking, how much was the powder coat, and did you strip the frame further? I've got one coming up in the next month or so.
Timmy T, with media blasting, base coat and clear coat the total was $205. I could have saved some money by choosing an in-stock color from one of his regular suppliers but like the result. The powder, like paint, mirrors the surface so consistent surface prep is a key step toward an excellent finish.
__________________
77 Trek TX300--78 Trek TX-300--79 Trek 510--83 Trek 520--83 Nickel Plated Trek 400--86 Trek Elance 400--75 Gitane Interclub--73 Viscount 'Death Fork SS--76 Viscount Aerospace Pro--80's Diamant Verbinnen--80's Basso--90's Montagner SS--84 SR Explorer MTB
23skidoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-12, 05:13 AM   #48
TimmyT 
Keener splendor
 
TimmyT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: New York, NY
Bikes: Nigel Dean Tour Ace, Ciocc Designer '84, Simoncini SLX (x2), Lynskey Litespeed Ti, Lemond Poprad, '69 Peter Cockburn Audax
Posts: 2,199
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 23skidoo View Post
Timmy T, with media blasting, base coat and clear coat the total was $205. I could have saved some money by choosing an in-stock color from one of his regular suppliers but like the result. The powder, like paint, mirrors the surface so consistent surface prep is a key step toward an excellent finish.
Excellent! Thanks. Yeah, I think you were right to stick in a little more to get the color you wanted. Looks great.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craigslist View Post
Note to you BLOWHARD MORONS out there: The fork is not bent. Most PEUGEOTS of the '70s forks DID NOT line up with the head tube angle. This is normal. The last pic is from the 1972 Dutch catalog showing this EXACT MODEL in diagram. Keep your comments to yourself......
It's pronounced, "Co-burn."
TimmyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-12, 05:20 AM   #49
Italuminium
Cisalpinist
 
Italuminium's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Holland
Bikes: blue ones.
Posts: 5,557
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by non-fixie View Post
How's the mullin' going? Meantime my Competition has gotten a little brother. This one's from December '83 and has the correct Weinmann 405 brakes.

wut, SMALL? seems like a 62 and a 65... tall brothers, eh! let me know when you find one in 56
Italuminium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-12, 05:06 PM   #50
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!
 
non-fixie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Rhine delta
Bikes: all the ones nobody else seems to want ...
Posts: 4,822
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Italuminium View Post
wut, SMALL? seems like a 62 and a 65... tall brothers, eh! let me know when you find one in 56
Actually, mine are 60 and 62cms. But they were also made in 57 cm, so your bike is out there somewhere!
__________________
"To prepare for a race there is nothing better than a good pheasant, some champagne and a woman" - Jacques Anquetil
non-fixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:05 PM.