Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    Senior Member Indie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Toronto
    My Bikes
    1976 20" folding Triumph Trafficmaster
    Posts
    411
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    The "I haven't lost weight, BUT..." thread!

    There are a lot of threads about getting out of the Clyde/Athena weight range, getting rid of old clothes that don't fit, etc. But what about the less tangible benefits? I'm not riding enough yet to make weight loss a possibility (and I may actually be putting on my winter hibernation fat -- what was that other thread about bears? ), but I'm noticing improvements in other areas.

    I used to get lightheaded and tired a lot during the day. That doesn't happen anymore. And I don't get winded while climbing stairs.

    I used to have a lot of anxiety problems and could work myself up into a panic attack on the subway ride home with nothing else to think about for half an hour. Riding my bike forces my attention onto other things, like safety and my surroundings and traffic signals.

    I feel more confident and graceful and steady on my feet. I stand straighter, and I feel less likely to trip or turn my ankle or bump into things.

    There's more research out there to suggest that being overweight or even obese isn't as dangerous as we thought, as long as you're active. And it's definitely possible, especially for women, to be stubbornly 'overweight' despite being active and having a healthy heart and good blood pressure and normal blood sugar maintenance.

    All of you permanent Athenas and Clydes, share your little victories here.
    Sterling - 1976 Triumph Trafficmaster 20" folder

  2. #2
    Banned. Mr. Beanz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Upland Ca
    My Bikes
    Lemond Chambery/Cannondale R-900/Trek 8000 MTB/Burley Duet tandem
    Posts
    20,031
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Being from a diabetes filled family, I've always figured that if I was somewhat in shape, I could do whatever, whenever. If I got the bad news, I'd handle it no problem.

    Everybody in my family is sick in one way or another. I'm the only healthy dude walking around here. My goal has always been to rmain strong. Riding helps my breathing and actually my sinuses have been much better since I started riding 1 years ago.

    I have lost weight to do some killer rides, I'm happy about that, but not my goal year after year. My goals change form year to year. I do have this little itch right now nagging me to get back into cycling shape. GO kick some arse on the mtn rides. But that will change later on.

    I figure when I get to be about 60, I just might start pumping iron again. Be one of those healthy looking old dudes getting all the wimmins at the retirment center!......If Gina lets me!

    Cycling is just another notch in my 'stay healthy' Clydesdale lifestyle!

  3. #3
    Senior Member funrover's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Colorado
    My Bikes
    Mostly schwinn... few classics
    Posts
    2,278
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For me its:
    I can beat some of the lycra/spandex roadies on the MUP
    I am considered in shape by many peers(Which to me is just plain AWESOME)
    I have actually been looked up to as a person to listen to and respect when it comes to biking
    I do breath a lot better when I do my commutes
    and that's just a start!

  4. #4
    Gears? CliftonGK1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    My Bikes
    '08 Surly Cross-Check, 2011 Redline Conquest Pro, 2012 Spesh FSR Comp EVO, 2009 Spesh Singlecross, 2011 RM Flow1
    Posts
    11,320
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Indie View Post
    All of you permanent Athenas and Clydes, share your little victories here.
    No matter how much fat I lose, I will always be a Clyde. That's just the way it is at 6' 6" with a Sasquatch build. I actually like being able to express my weight in fractional tonnage, then watch people work the math to figure out that I weigh around 250 pounds. (I'm actually down to 242, and I'm aiming for 220 or so.)

    My recent victory was entering the weights and measurements into my nutrition tracker software last week, and finding out that I even though I'm only losing about a pound/week (when my calories in vs. out say I should be losing a bit more), I've dropped 4% bodyfat since I started tracking things a few weeks ago, and I've increased my measurements at my chest, bicep and thigh. So, while I'm losing the spare pounds I carry around my midsection, I'm putting on lean mass elsewhere.

  5. #5
    Senior Member Wogster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Toronto (again) Ontario, Canada
    My Bikes
    Norco Bushpilot (out of commission), Raleigh Delta
    Posts
    6,944
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Indie View Post
    There are a lot of threads about getting out of the Clyde/Athena weight range, getting rid of old clothes that don't fit, etc. But what about the less tangible benefits? I'm not riding enough yet to make weight loss a possibility (and I may actually be putting on my winter hibernation fat -- what was that other thread about bears? ), but I'm noticing improvements in other areas.

    I used to get lightheaded and tired a lot during the day. That doesn't happen anymore. And I don't get winded while climbing stairs.

    I used to have a lot of anxiety problems and could work myself up into a panic attack on the subway ride home with nothing else to think about for half an hour. Riding my bike forces my attention onto other things, like safety and my surroundings and traffic signals.

    I feel more confident and graceful and steady on my feet. I stand straighter, and I feel less likely to trip or turn my ankle or bump into things.

    There's more research out there to suggest that being overweight or even obese isn't as dangerous as we thought, as long as you're active. And it's definitely possible, especially for women, to be stubbornly 'overweight' despite being active and having a healthy heart and good blood pressure and normal blood sugar maintenance.

    All of you permanent Athenas and Clydes, share your little victories here.
    Heck the Toronto Subway is good for a Panic attack at any time, most often when your on a packed train, running late and hear that dreaded message, "This train will be going out of service at ..... ". which is always at least one station before where you want to get off

    I think the key though is being active, lots of people, as they put on weight, become less active, a guy who thought nothing of jogging 5 miles at 180lbs, at 250lbs needs to take the car to go around the block. What is interesting is that often when that same person gets into their 40's they go through a mid-life crisis, and want to get back to their 20's by doing the things they did in their 20's, and the excess weight gets in the way of that. Which is when one gets interested in losing the weight.

  6. #6
    Senior Member scrapmetal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Quartered safe out here
    My Bikes
    197x?? Raleigh rescued from scrap metal; Specialized Roubaix
    Posts
    382
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CliftonGK1 View Post
    No matter how much fat I lose, I will always be a Clyde. That's just the way it is at 6' 6" with a Sasquatch build. I actually like being able to express my weight in fractional tonnage, then watch people work the math to figure out that I weigh around 250 pounds. (I'm actually down to 242, and I'm aiming for 220 or so.)
    Oh, I like that! Maybe I should gain some weight for the kicks of it
    Po všetkém hovno, enem po včelách med.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    NE Tennessee
    My Bikes
    Schwinn Circuit / Diamondback Sorrento
    Posts
    317
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I haven't lost much weight but I've lost inches from the waist and fat from the face, neck, etc... So far it is replaced with muscle. As my legs have bulked up I've noticed that my center of gravity is lowering. Now just to make it through the winter.
    Old enough to know better and old enough to forget that I do.

  8. #8
    Senior Member atcfoody's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    In school again.
    My Bikes
    Trek 7200fx, Surly LHT
    Posts
    262
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For the past 10 months, the scale has said that I weigh between 235 and 244. Given I got all the family "build him like a fire plug" genes, I'm okay with that. So, for me, the scale doesn't change much, but I've definitely moved things around. I got a physical about a month ago and the nurse had to take my pulse for 30 seconds. When she finished, she said "I'm not used to people coming in and having such a low pulse rate" (58 bpm, I think). Add to that all the remarks I get from my players about my legs (lets face it, when a college men's soccer team is jealous of your calves, your doing something right) and you can run 3 miles without stopping again (haven't done that in 16 years), I'm pretty happy with what progress I've made.

    D
    Help me and team North UMC at the 2010 Pedal for Peace.

    Everything looks better on a full stomach.

    Doing the right thing and rocking the boat are often one in the same.

    Well, technically speaking, one needs 3 things to qualify for recumbent ownership: a beard, an aerobelly, and a technical degree or background.

  9. #9
    Chubby super biker bdinger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Nebraska
    Posts
    1,980
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have plenty of number victories, but I think the best are the other ones. I can do just about anything now that I couldn't when 500+ pounds, and I actually am starting to like what I see in the mirror. There is much much much to be said for the latter.

    Aside from that, I have a clear mind, I just plain feel good and life is better. I wouldn't trade the benefits for anything ever. `

  10. #10
    You gonna eat that? Doohickie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Fort Worth, Texas Church of Hopeful Uncertainty
    My Bikes
    1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS
    Posts
    13,936
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Actually....











    ....I have lost weight. Since the last week in July, I've lost 26 lb. and technically I'm no longer a Clyde.
    I stop for people / whose right of way I honor / but not for no one.



    Originally Posted by bragi "However, it's never a good idea to overgeneralize."

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •