Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 51 to 64 of 64
  1. #51
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Go to a pet store and get citronella spray it is harmless and will stop the dog in his tracks. I have it when I walk. my dog.

    many years ago when I was a young man I was chased down by a Newfoundland and gave up put the bike between me and him we then proceed to do a keystone cops routine running around the bike.

    The dog got bored with this reared up on his hind legs and put his fore paws on to my shoulders... I thought I was done for he proceeded to lick my face until his owner call him back then he trotted away.

  2. #52
    Senior Member daviddavieboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Great White North
    My Bikes
    2012 C'Dale Supersix 5,96' C'Dale F500, Schwinn RD700
    Posts
    132
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by labcoat View Post
    The dog got bored with this reared up on his hind legs and put his fore paws on to my shoulders... I thought I was done for he proceeded to lick my face until his owner call him back then he trotted away.
    Sounds like every Newfie dog I knew.

  3. #53
    Senior Member WVU_Engineer's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Southern Maryland
    My Bikes
    Raleigh Venture
    Posts
    88
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Carl_S View Post
    Guy on the video over-reacts in my opinion. Those dogs weren't attacking in my opinion and he wouldn't have been killed. Rider just got scared.
    My thoughts too, they are herding dogs, they were trying to herd him.

  4. #54
    High Plains Luddite
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Colorado
    My Bikes
    1 road bike, 1 MTB
    Posts
    213
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just out of curiosity, where does one purchase pepper spray? I can't remember ever seeing any in a store.

    I ask because this thread reminds me of two rottweilers I passed the other day in my neighborhood and they about tore their owner's arms out of the sockets trying to get off their leashes and come after me. It might be nice to be prepared.

    By the way, I still have the scar on my right elbow from when I wasabout 11 or 12 years old and I did just what everyone said - stop and put the bike between you and the dog. The dog jumped up and bit my arm and got one long tooth in. It was just a little cut, no worse than anything else a 12 year old would get into on a summer afternoon, but I've never forgotten that dogs can jump pretty high and fast.

  5. #55
    Just Plain Slow PhotoJoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Santa Clarita, CA
    My Bikes
    Lynskey R230
    Posts
    4,174
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Squeeze View Post
    Just out of curiosity, where does one purchase pepper spray? I can't remember ever seeing any in a store.

    I ask because this thread reminds me of two rottweilers I passed the other day in my neighborhood and they about tore their owner's arms out of the sockets trying to get off their leashes and come after me. It might be nice to be prepared.

    By the way, I still have the scar on my right elbow from when I wasabout 11 or 12 years old and I did just what everyone said - stop and put the bike between you and the dog. The dog jumped up and bit my arm and got one long tooth in. It was just a little cut, no worse than anything else a 12 year old would get into on a summer afternoon, but I've never forgotten that dogs can jump pretty high and fast.
    Amazon
    If at first you don't succeed, Skydiving is not the sport for you!

  6. #56
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Tennessee
    My Bikes
    Breezer Storm Comp 29er
    Posts
    182
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is what I ordered.
    Sabre Red

  7. #57
    What, me worry? Telly's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Athens, Greece
    My Bikes
    Corratec / Jamis
    Posts
    1,112
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My commute is populated by dozens of stray dogs and in 99% of the cases, stopping and dismounting will halt any chase since the dog loses interest when there's nothing to chase.

    My biggest fear is dogs running into the street between parked cars without warning. I've had that happen to me, and was lucky not to get knocked down. Another problem is people with dogs on extending chains, especially on MUP where they let the dogs roam with the leash totally extended posing a threat to cyclists and pedestrians alike.

    BTW, I was in Cookeville a couple of weeks ago, gman214... really like it in TN!

  8. #58
    Senior Member Northwestrider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Gig Harbor, WA
    My Bikes
    Surly Long Haul Trucker, Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo, Dahon Mu P 24 , Bacchetta Strada, Rodriguez Tandem, Wheeler MTB
    Posts
    2,153
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Squeeze View Post
    Just out of curiosity, where does one purchase pepper spray? I can't remember ever seeing any in a store.
    dog.
    R.E.I. is where I purchased mine.

  9. #59
    2 Fat 2 Furious contango's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    England
    My Bikes
    2009 Specialized Rockhopper Comp Disc, 2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    Posts
    3,997
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Carl_S View Post
    Don't pepper spray a dog please.

    Stop, put the bike between you and the dog, and yell at it loudly if necessary. (even if it seems scary)
    I'd prefer to never harm someone else's pet but if I consider a dog (or other animal) to present a genuine threat to my safety I'll do whatever seems right at the time to neutralise the threat. If you don't want your dog to face whatever that might be, given a heavy slug of adrenaline isn't always the best assistant to rational thinking, keep it under control. It's not difficult.
    "For a list of ways technology has failed to improve quality of life, press three"

  10. #60
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Tennessee
    My Bikes
    Breezer Storm Comp 29er
    Posts
    182
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Telly View Post
    My commute is populated by dozens of stray dogs and in 99% of the cases, stopping and dismounting will halt any chase since the dog loses interest when there's nothing to chase.

    My biggest fear is dogs running into the street between parked cars without warning. I've had that happen to me, and was lucky not to get knocked down. Another problem is people with dogs on extending chains, especially on MUP where they let the dogs roam with the leash totally extended posing a threat to cyclists and pedestrians alike.

    BTW, I was in Cookeville a couple of weeks ago, gman214... really like it in TN!
    Cookeville is nice and scenic!!! Good folks there too!

  11. #61
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Kearneysville, WV
    My Bikes
    2012 Cannondale Flash Alloy 2 (mountain bike), 2010 Schwinn Paramount Series 7 (road bike)
    Posts
    739
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WVU_Engineer View Post
    If the owner is standing right there and lets his dog chase you it might do more good to pepper spray the owner than the dog. Some people need/deserve stuff like this to happen to them to get a clue.
    Just for good measure, pepper spray the owner and the dog!

    Quote Originally Posted by Carl_S View Post
    Don't pepper spray a dog please.

    Stop, put the bike between you and the dog, and yell at it loudly if necessary. (even if it seems scary)
    Don't pepper spray a dog? It attacks me, I'm gonna pepper spray the hell out of it. I'm not gonna yield to some stupid animal and inconvenience myself during my ride just because a dog wants to attack me. I may get off my bike and "shield" myself, but if it keeps coming, it's going down.

    While I'd prefer not to encounter any animal or have my hand forced, I won't feel guilty about it in the least.

    Most of the time, it's fairly clear to tell the "enthusiastic" dogs from the nasty ones, but not always, so I always have my guard up. I have no problem stopping and petting a dog who just runs up to "say hello," but all encounters aren't like that.
    - Dan \m/

  12. #62
    Senior Member mccornwall's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    O'Fallon, IL
    My Bikes
    Old Cannondale touring bike
    Posts
    53
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Squeeze View Post
    Just out of curiosity, where does one purchase pepper spray? I can't remember ever seeing any in a store.

    I ask because this thread reminds me of two rottweilers I passed the other day in my neighborhood and they about tore their owner's arms out of the sockets trying to get off their leashes and come after me. It might be nice to be prepared.

    By the way, I still have the scar on my right elbow from when I wasabout 11 or 12 years old and I did just what everyone said - stop and put the bike between you and the dog. The dog jumped up and bit my arm and got one long tooth in. It was just a little cut, no worse than anything else a 12 year old would get into on a summer afternoon, but I've never forgotten that dogs can jump pretty high and fast.
    Got mine as a *** shop...best place to get it as they will usually have several different types and can make recommendations.

  13. #63
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    My Bikes
    2013 Allez, 2013 Sirrus, 1984 Legend Compe
    Posts
    138
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Kicking and stomping a dog's head with my carbon fiber cycling shoes usually works well for me.

  14. #64
    Just Plain Slow PhotoJoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Santa Clarita, CA
    My Bikes
    Lynskey R230
    Posts
    4,174
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I think this thread has run its course. Deleting the *** talk and closing.
    If at first you don't succeed, Skydiving is not the sport for you!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •