Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 26 to 35 of 35

Thread: Ride With GPS

  1. #26
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    My Bikes
    BH RC1, Bianchi Volpe, Orbea Avant
    Posts
    123
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Looigi View Post
    I'm over 60, riding for over 40 years, and thought not reliant on it, I find it very advantageous. I can lay out a new route and go out and hammer without slowing/stopping to deal with navigation. It also depends on where I ride. Living out West, routes were simple. A quick look at that map or route sheet beforehand and I was good to go. In the Northeast, routes can get very complicated with all the twisty short little roads. For example, the second ride I did here has 27 turns and different roads in 25 miles. It certainly would be less problematic for a native familiar with the area but as a newcomer I could spend more time navigating than pedaling.
    I completely agree. While I could manage with printed maps and cue sheets, it is much faster using some of the technology available to us. I don't have to slow/stop to check the route. Can I manage without the electronics? Certainly! I embrace the technology, but don't require it. As a matter of fact, I'm 312 years old and find it amusing when people are reliant on anything but the stars for navigation :-)

  2. #27
    Senior Member bbbean's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Missouri
    My Bikes
    Giant Defy Composite 0, Cannondale SuperX, Univega Alpina Ultima
    Posts
    543
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CommuteCommando View Post
    I am fifty something and did just fine for many years without it, and am amused by all the people I see-many of them my age-who act totally dependent on it.
    I'm 50, and while I'm not dependent on it, I sure do like it.

    I'm reminded of the crew boss on our farm, who started working our family's land when he was a young boy and worked until he was in his mid 70s, when he had to take off to care for his wife. He was tough as nails, was the first to show up and the last to leave, and had lived through the depression, fought in WWII, and had forgotten more than most of us would ever know about farming.When we upgraded the farm to 12 row equipment, we gave him the first tractor, and at the end of the first day he climbed down off the tractor and said (cleaned up version) "Boys, I started off looking at the back end of a mule working all day to cover 10 acres. Today I sat in a padded seat in an air conditioned cab, listened to the radio, and planted 250 acres before sunset. When somebody tells you about the good old days, they're full of it. THESE are the good old days!"

    Getting back to the original question, though, aside from mapping (which seems to be a largely subjective matter), are there any features that make RWGPS stand out from Strava and MMR?

    BB
    www.beancotton.com
    Formerly Fastest of the Slow Riders, Currently Slowest of the Fast Riders



    http://veloviewer.com/athlete/2615827/

  3. #28
    Randomhead
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Happy Valley, Pennsylvania
    Posts
    12,425
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by himespau View Post
    So, as someone who is new to an area and new to riding with a GPS device, is there one service (preferably the free version) that anyone would recommend to me to help me get out and explore the area finding good routes to ride (ie not dropping me on highways)?
    really depends on how many other cyclists there are in your area, but Strava has what they call "heat maps" that show the activity on various routes. It's pretty neat. People near me need to ride more

  4. #29
    Senior Member Looigi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    7,029
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by unterhausen View Post
    Strava has what they call "heat maps" that show the activity on various routes. ...People near me need to ride more
    Or log their rides on Strava. Most of the usual riders around here that I know don't, so there's a heck of a lot more riding going on than what's indicated in Strava.

    Here's a convenient zoomable heat map: http://raceshape.com/heatmap/

    Poking around on this map, it's pretty clear that only a very very small fraction of riders upload rides. Looking some of the places I'm familliar with, Chyenne WY for example shows no rides at all, and I know there are certainly many cyclists there. Also very few rides in Laramie, the home of the U of WY.
    Last edited by Looigi; 12-21-13 at 07:43 AM.

  5. #30
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    331
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Looigi View Post
    Here's a convenient zoomable heat map: http://raceshape.com/heatmap/
    That is an amazing link!!!

  6. #31
    Senior Member CommuteCommando's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    In the drops on the roads of North San Diego/South Orange Counies CA
    My Bikes
    KHS Alite 500, Trek 7.2 FX , Masi Partenza, Masi Fixed Special, Masi Cran Criterium
    Posts
    2,887
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bbbean View Post
    I'm 50, and while I'm not dependent on it, I sure do like it.

    I'm reminded of the crew boss on our farm, who started working our family's land when he was a young boy and worked until he was in his mid 70s, when he had to take off to care for his wife. He was tough as nails, was the first to show up and the last to leave, and had lived through the depression, fought in WWII, and had forgotten more than most of us would ever know about farming.When we upgraded the farm to 12 row equipment, we gave him the first tractor, and at the end of the first day he climbed down off the tractor and said (cleaned up version) "Boys, I started off looking at the back end of a mule working all day to cover 10 acres. Today I sat in a padded seat in an air conditioned cab, listened to the radio, and planted 250 acres before sunset. When somebody tells you about the good old days, they're full of it. THESE are the good old days!"

    Getting back to the original question, though, aside from mapping (which seems to be a largely subjective matter), are there any features that make RWGPS stand out from Strava and MMR?

    BB
    Do not get me wrong. I am certainly no Luddite. The anecdote about the old farmer rings very true, and I feel the same way about those who say about cars "they don't make 'em like they used to". Good, I say. I have been using computers and such since 1986, have programmed in Fortran, Basic, G-code, AutoLISP and Ladder Logic. Of those the last one is the only one can still do, as the others have all become, or are becoming obsolete.

    I like putting them to use for me, and read maps on a screen far more often than I read papper maps. I even use the simple turn by turn on my Edge 500 on occasion. (it alerts you if you go off course) I am just ammused at those who try to let the machines do all their thinking for them. I will use them on rare occasion, like organized rides where getting lost as an opportunity to explore is not a good option. Even then I scope out the route ahead of time using RWGPS, and street view. and use the Garmin Course as a backup in event of poor memory or course markings

    The machines think a lot faster than we do, and are getting faster all the time. They will never do it better than we. or at leas I, do.
    Freedom is free. It's included in democracy. Democracy is hard. It involves dealing rationally with people you disagree with.

  7. #32
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    331
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CommuteCommando View Post
    The machines think a lot faster than we do, and are getting faster all the time. They will never do it better than we. or at leas I, do.
    Luddite, the machines already read web pages from TCP/IP better than you do, and GPS signals, and shift gears better, calculate wattage and FTP and TSS better, and build better carbon frames ....

    No one tries to let machines do all their thinking for them. But different people have different mental talents, different comfort with technology, different availability of technology, and different need of technology.

    I'm sure people have been scorning new technology since the adoption of fire.
    Last edited by Athens80; 12-21-13 at 06:13 PM.

  8. #33
    Senior Member CommuteCommando's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    In the drops on the roads of North San Diego/South Orange Counies CA
    My Bikes
    KHS Alite 500, Trek 7.2 FX , Masi Partenza, Masi Fixed Special, Masi Cran Criterium
    Posts
    2,887
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Athens80 View Post
    Luddite, the machines already read web pages from TCP/IP better than you do, and GPS signals, and shift gears better, calculate wattage and FTP and TSS better, and build better carbon frames ....

    No one tries to let machines do all their thinking for them. But different people have different mental talents, different comfort with technology, different availability of technology, and different need of technology.

    I'm sure people have been scorning new technology since the adoption of fire.
    I drive these machines to run the itterative algoryrtims that "Design" this stuff. I also know how those algorytms work,a nd have written some. And even though I know better than to feed the trolls, theres a little tidbit for you. Signing off.
    Freedom is free. It's included in democracy. Democracy is hard. It involves dealing rationally with people you disagree with.

  9. #34
    Senior Member 01 CAt Man Do's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Columbia, Maryland
    My Bikes
    Mountain bike & Hybrid tour bike
    Posts
    505
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cwar View Post
    To address the original post, what I typically do if I want to travel a new route is first get a sense of where I want to go, then, similar to what CommuteCommando said, I use several tools to plan a route:
    1. Use google maps with the bicycle overlay to identify bike paths, lanes, or suggested routes. Or, I'll do this in MapMyRide since it has the bicycle overlay.
    2. Once I narrow down a few options I will sometimes use Google satellite view and street view in areas that could be troublesome to determine if I'm comfortable with a particular section of the route.
    3. Once I have it mapped out in MapMyRide I save the route. Then on my ride I open the route on my iPhone and it shows the map, my route, and where I am. It doesn't provide turn by turn, but it gets the job done.
    ...everything you said above I do as well only with RWGPS and Android.

    What was said by someone else about finding out about gravel roads for planned rides....Some jurisdictions have on-line maps showing all the dirt and gravel roads, depends on where you live I guess. Like cwar I use the google street view feature If I have questions. For me this is not really an issue though as the bike I use on the road uses 700C touring type tires. I actually prefer a couple dirt or gravel roads when planning rides. Back roads are quiet and peaceful. If you have tires that can handle them they are great fun.

    Quote Originally Posted by bbbean View Post

    ...Getting back to the original question, though, aside from mapping (which seems to be a largely subjective matter), are there any features that make RWGPS stand out from Strava and MMR?

    BB
    Only thing I can add here is that the RWGPS works seamlessly with the "Cue Sheet" app I have on my Android ( which gives me great turn by turn verbal prompts and quick down-loads to my phone.

    Still waiting for RWGPS to offer saved POI's for my saved rides and would be nice if they offered "live tracking" so friends or relatives could follow my position when I chose to want them to have that option.
    Last edited by 01 CAt Man Do; 12-23-13 at 05:36 AM.

  10. #35
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    43
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do any of you use RunKeeper? I only ask because it appears to be the only one that syncs with MyFitnessPal.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •