Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Buying off of Ebay...

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Buying off of Ebay...

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-15, 11:37 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
at least 100 ebay transactions, a couple dozen at least in the bicycle realm. Everything from a full bike (Cannondale CAAD7 R2000) to a couple of frames (a vintage Sannino and a nice Jamis Cross frame), derailleurs, handlebars, stems, brakes, brake levers, cranks, bottom brackets, and STI shifters, downtube shifters, saddles, new stuff (cables, chains, cassettes, tires, tubes, etc.)

I have never, ever had a problem with an ebay purchase. I've had some delayed shipping, nothing serious. On a couple of occasions, the items weren't exactly as described, usually because the seller really didn't know what he/she had and therefore didn't describe it perfectly. On every occasion of any problem at all (like I said, just a couple out of 100 or so) I've either gotten a partial or full refund from the seller and have been totally satisfied.

I've sold a couple dozen things similar to the above list (including selling the Cannondale frame after removing the parts for building the Jamis frame for commuting).

If you're not an idiot, you can be very comfortable with ebay transactions, very similar to face to face purchase of used stuff. Look at feedback, look at photos ask for more photos, contact the seller with questions, etc. It's not rocket science.

Ebay is my first place to look for almost anything.

Just remembered. In may, I bought two different older Campy Record parts from Poland (both early-mid 90s, a set of brakes and a rear derailleur). Both excellent, smooth transactions with the only issue a couple (only a couple) extra days transit time.

Last edited by Camilo; 06-04-15 at 05:06 PM.
Old 06-02-15, 09:04 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've bought 2 bikes and 2 trikes off eBay as well as numerous electronic pieces of gear, clothes and even, omg, yes even, a car. I've had only 2 bad experiences and even then wound up with full refunds, so it wasn't all bad.

As others have said, check the seller's rating, read the descriptions carefully, and be prepared to docment bad packaging & item damage with pics.

I rarely hesitate to buy off eBay - except for some ridiculously high priced or easily/often counterfeited items like Roman coinage.
Old 06-03-15, 01:26 PM
dbg
Si Senior

Bikes: Too Numerous (not)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
400+ transactions and I don't think I've ever had a problem. I have been disappointed a few times but I have always had good experiences with sellers trying hard to work things out. Never been lied to or lost money. Bike people are pretty cool.