Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Gloves for cold weather?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Gloves for cold weather?

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-15, 11:01 PM

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1182 Post(s)
Liked 833 Times in 435 Posts
Originally Posted by StanSeven
Pearl Izumi makes a couple models of varying thickness and warmth. I find they work well in shifting too. For really cold weather, lobster style mitts with splits allow for easy shifting and braking.
My wife sears by them. We've been riding down to the gym in the mornings and the temps were at 17F.
Old 12-02-15, 06:29 AM

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 2112 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 443 Posts
Originally Posted by jyl
I actually have Bar Mitts that I bought for super cheap. However, the color (baby blue) is so weird that i have trouble putting them on my bike. And they seem like overkill, but maybe not for a wimp like me.
Really, you are riding in the sweet spot of misery. Just above freezing, windy, damp or worse raining.

The local high school offers a survival course where kids are outside for three days in a state forest in January. If it's 0-25 degrees F outside, they are all able to keep nice and warm. The nightmare for the teacher is 34, damp or raining, and windy. Lots of students have trouble staying warm in those conditions.

Put on the baby blues. You've already bought them. You aren't a wimp. If you like them buy them in a color you'll actually use.

(Buying something super cheap that you don't use is no bargain.)

-mr. bill

Last edited by mr_bill; 12-02-15 at 08:02 AM.
Old 12-02-15, 06:59 AM
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
Originally Posted by jyl
snip...However, the color (baby blue) is so weird that i have trouble putting them on my bike. ...snip
Another vote to use them, regardless. Granted, I ride a baby blue and orange bicycle, and own a Belgian national jersey that is that colourway, it shows up very well, so you can just say its being safety minded on your part. Nothing wimpy about staying warm, being comfortable will keep you from being a wimp that just quits riding.

December, and all the cold months, are some good riding for me. Its nice out, lots of blue bowl sky days, just a bit chilly, ok, it can be down-right cold some days. It feels good to finish up a ride, and you have a nice sense of accomplishment from doing your ride in less than optimum conditions.

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Old 12-08-15, 03:57 PM

Bikes: Montague Para Trooper High line

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by volosong
I found cross-country ski gloves work well. They aren't all that thick, have wind protection, and reinforced palms, (for the poles). I think I got them the other year from REI in Las Vegas and are made by Salomon. Something like these.

I wear regular ski gloves for the rare 30's early AM rides we sometimes get here in Phoenix, AZ but these look like they might be a winner.
Old 12-11-15, 02:47 PM

Bikes: Fuji Sportif 1.3 C - 2014

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've got some Performance Cabot Soft-shelled gloves. I've only worn them down to about 50F, but at that temperature, they're probably a little warm, as my hands are perspiring just a bit.

GH
Old 12-13-15, 01:19 AM
Don't mince words

Bikes: '16 BH Quartz, 2017 Calfeecustom carbon tandem, Fuji D6 TT bike

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I wear REI One gloves under my summer cycling gloves. They're windproof and very warm; they have padded palms but not bike-specific (thus the fingerless gloves on top). For rides <40 mi. I don't bother with the cycling gloves. That they block wind sold me on them (my husband used them for a year before I was convinced). YMMV.
Old 12-13-15, 02:23 AM

Bikes: /Skye/ Torker mt, Sirrus flat bar

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 10 Posts
Pogies:

Stopped by the bike shop today
Owner had his bike , fat tire. Has Pogies on it. rides in below zero stuff
Was doing a Christmas parade in Palmer today, He was riding in it.
Let me take it for a spin
Didn't even need gloves & it was 20°, they are really warm. On a flatbar. easy to shift, plenty of room.
Hands slide in & out easy
He said he rides with full finger riding gloves

He says you can get pogies to fit any bike

Pogies | BikeShopHub Blog

A guy told me the original idea came from a guy that used the snap on carhart hoods
Tie wrapped them to his handle bars,
Now they're everywhere u = here, on atvs, snow machines & winter bikes.

Amazon has some called "Bar Mitts"

Many here say these are Good ones : Pogies ? Keeping the Digits Warm | FAT-BIKE.COM
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg
th-6.jpeg (34.1 KB, 16 views)
Old 12-13-15, 07:32 AM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by qcpmsame
Not sure of just how cold you have to deal with, bit I got a pair of Cannondale, 3-Seasons gloves last year and these gloves are very well thought out. They are a full fingered glove with mitten covers made into them. the mitten covers ( the lobster-type Blazing Saddles describes in his post above,) roll up and tuck into a pouch made into the back of the gloves, at the wrist. That cover is wind-proof and somewhat water resistant, for mildly rainy days. They are thin enough to be easy to use for operations, like operating the computer (they are electro-conductive enough to activate the touch screens of most computers and smart phones.) With the covers over the fingers, they become much warmer due to blocking out the wind.

No claims by me about truly cold temps, I have no experience with them in those conditions, but at 35°F, and winds of 25 mph, they were quite warm, when riding last winter. They came form our LBS, a shelf item for them. Just a suggestion.

Bill
I have been using the same sort of glove made offered by Louis Garneau. When the "lobster mitts" are used the cover the fingers, there is a significant difference (improvement) in warmth.

I'm glad to know Cannondale offers the same sort of glove as it gives me two sources perchance one is not available.
Old 12-13-15, 11:58 AM

Bikes: N+1=5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Liked 244 Times in 181 Posts
I ride all winter long in Minnesota.

For road biking, down to 20F or so, I'll wear these from Castelli. They're really good and have great dexterity. Below that, I go to bar mitts and a very light glove (Bar Mitts are super warm). I get the ones for external routing because they have a zipper that can be used to open them up and increase ventilation.

J.
Old 12-13-15, 01:19 PM

Bikes: Habanero Titanium Team Nuevo

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked 185 Times in 121 Posts
I use soft wool gloves that are thinsulated on the inside and wool on the outside. I do not like gloves that restrict any finger movement and yet they must be windproof. I have two pairs I use and they are good to 25 degrees easy. My hands tend to warm up after a bit, starting out the fingers can go numb but they come back and thaw. My problem is the feet no matter what they will go numb after awhile and nothing really helps when it goes under 30 degrees.
Old 12-16-15, 12:04 PM
dbg
Si Senior

Bikes: Too Numerous (not)

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by StanSeven
Pearl Izumi makes a couple models of varying thickness and warmth. I find they work well in shifting too. For really cold weather, lobster style mitts with splits allow for easy shifting and braking.
Love these things:

"there's a lobster loose!"
Attached Images

Last edited by dbg; 12-16-15 at 01:53 PM.
Old 12-16-15, 12:40 PM
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 945 Post(s)
Liked 1,986 Times in 569 Posts
Originally Posted by mr_bill
Really, you are riding in the sweet spot of misery. Just above freezing, windy, damp or worse raining.
lol.

I DO know what you mean. The coldest I've ever been was on a 40F descent in a rainy, blustery descent. All I had was a windbreaker and I was damn near hypotermic by the time I got to the bottom.

Old 12-16-15, 07:35 PM
Still learning

Bikes: Still a garage full

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 847 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 44 Posts
Fleece gloves work great, but no experience with them in a downpour.

REI ? Top-Brand Clothing, Gear, Footwear and Expert Advice for All Your Outdoor Adventures - REI.com
Old 12-16-15, 07:41 PM

Bikes: Chapman Rando, Rivendell Atlantis, Trek 2100, Bridgestone MB5, Burley Duet, Trek 614

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 8 Posts
Lobster claw gloves work well for me. I bought some Pearl Izumis last year but their large size was a little too confining, so I traded those to my wife for her old pair of Trek-branded gloves which fit me better.
Old 12-16-15, 08:27 PM
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
Originally Posted by doctor j
snip...I'm glad to know Cannondale offers the same sort of glove as it gives me two sources perchance one is not available.
Doc,
You might want to pick up some of the ones you like, things like gloves and other cycling kit, come and go. Like saddles, if you find one you really like, buy a couple, before they are phased out by the maker. Surest way to get something discontinued, is for me to like it, and try to find another on a few years later.

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Old 12-17-15, 11:23 AM

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 299 Posts
I like shopping for bargains. With some advance shopping, that is, before you actually need something, it is easily possible to find items at half price or less. I have recently purchased insulated and windproof ski gloves at Ocean State Job Lot, an over stock discounter company here in the NE states. Yesterday I was in a Sports Authority store shopping for a soft shell jacket,which I found at nearly half price but while there, I looked at gloves even though I don't need any more gloves. I saw quite a few models of the soft shell or windblok fleece type suitable for cycling and at very good prices.

My preferred gloves, unless it is at the freezing mark, is a liner glove and a separate wind shell which combined produces two or three separate glove combinations. I like this combination because frequently it will be cold at the beginning of a ride but several hours later, if the sun is beating down and I'm thoroughly warmed up, less in the way of gloves is needed. When it is down near the freezing mark, heavier fleece cloves under the shells work well.

The main point is that everyone has to find the tactic that works for them. For me, sweaty hands means hands that will be cold later so I try to avoid that with a layering system.
Old 12-17-15, 11:34 AM

Bikes: Giant Escape 1

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
I bought a pair of work gloves at Kinney Drug Store for $11. They're full-fingered, padded and brightly yellow. They look kinds "freddie" but they work great.
Old 12-17-15, 12:27 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1638 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 495 Posts
I frost bit a few fingers working construction many years back, there isn't a conventional glove that will keep them warm, I have spent $$$ trying so many variations it isn't funny. I am going to look into the pogies, I hate to end up with another "glove" I cant use.
Old 12-17-15, 01:22 PM

Bikes: Cyclocross Generic Steel Frame 105 Shimano Group Set, Minn Framed Fat Bike

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I use PI Lobster Gloves keep my hands toasty down to 16 degrees which was the coldest I rode before last years snow started.
Old 12-17-15, 01:49 PM

The problem with these discussions the huge variance on the meaning of "cold." I live in Minnesota so for me that means cold is subzero. For someone in warmer climates, cold means 50F.

J.
Old 12-17-15, 02:45 PM

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1514 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
Originally Posted by bogydave
Pogies:

Stopped by the bike shop today
Owner had his bike , fat tire. Has Pogies on it. rides in below zero stuff
Was doing a Christmas parade in Palmer today, He was riding in it....
Palmer, as in Hatcher Pass?
Old 12-17-15, 04:05 PM

Bikes: /Skye/ Torker mt, Sirrus flat bar

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by BlazingPedals
Palmer, as in Hatcher Pass?
Yea
Alaska
Hatcher Pass Epic
Old 12-19-15, 09:18 PM

Here's the other piece to keeping your hands warm. You need to keep your core and arms warm. Same goes with feet and legs. If you let your core get cool, you start off without warm blood going out to your extremeties. It just gets worse if your arms are cold. If that happens, your fingers don't have a chance.

So the trick comes down to covering your head and making sure you have enough layers on your core and they have to be layers that breath well enough. Then make sure you have sufficent layers on your torso but that breathe well and are not restricted by waterproofing. If it's not raining, ride with something that is a windblock fleece or equivalent.

Another really good trick to keeping your core warm but not sweaty is to get a piece of one of the highly breathable soft shell types of material - Neoshell works great, Light weight PowerShield, Scholler fabric etc... Cut a piece big enough to cover your torso from side to side and from neck to navel. Stuff it under your jersey over your base layer. This will add about 10 degrees of warmth and won't impact your ability to pass moisture and prevent sweat buildup.

If you come in from your ride and if you hop in a hot shower and feels really good, then you've let yourself get too cold. Do this and wear a decent softshell insulated glove (I like Castelli's) and you'll be plenty warm and so will your fingers.
J.