Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Cold weather gloves

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Cold weather gloves

Old 12-24-13, 02:27 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Cold weather gloves

I've been riding some in the cold weather. Once it gets in the 20 degree range I can't keep my hands warm. Do any of you have suggestions for some good winter gloves? I've tried several combinations but nothing has worked so far. I haven't tried Gore Tex yet. Thanks.
Old 12-24-13, 02:35 PM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1740 Post(s)
Liked 1,369 Times in 718 Posts
Pearl Izumi Lobster gloves.
Old 12-24-13, 05:54 PM
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
Multiple layers work for me. Silk liners or neoprene, followed by cotton felt insulators, with a snowboarding windproof mitten. Good down to maybe 15 degrees for an hour. Lower or longer...it gets harder.
Old 12-24-13, 07:20 PM

Bikes: better than I deserve

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Craft Siberian lobster mits work well for me down to 30 degrees or so. I can extend the range 5+ degrees by wearing polypro liner gloves inside them.
Old 12-24-13, 07:39 PM
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts
Best low-cost mitten, good down to 10f with a 20 mph wind. Trigger finger for shifting brifters: https://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/c...aspx?a=1123976
When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.
Old 12-24-13, 07:56 PM

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5885 Post(s)
Liked 3,468 Times in 2,078 Posts
I like the cold generally but my hands get cold easily. I've been thinking about trying out some kind of a neoprene mitten or perhaps these bar mitts (which look ugly but effective): https://www.amazon.com/Bar-Mitts-Moun.../dp/B00G90R1VG
Old 12-24-13, 08:39 PM

Bikes: confidential infromation that I don't even share with my wife

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
When it's under 25 I'll wear my ice fishing gloves that are wind and waterproof. I also take a second pair that I keep in my jersey pocket. Once I sweat and get my hands wet the cold follows. I also have an inexpensive fair of nylon construction gloves that I purchased at Lowes that are water proof and wind proof that work fine. They are more "puffy" than normal cycling gloves.
Old 12-24-13, 08:45 PM
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
It seems Gore tex being a membrane between the shell and the Liner in a sewn together glove means
its a bit of a chore to put on,
since the liner , bladder, and shell are only connected at the cuff, so liner is not always in the fingers. .

if they are separate , then taking them apart would dry more efficiently..

Lobster gloves.
by having 2 fingers together they lose less heat , and share the warmth,
.. of course mittens go one better, by having all 4 fingers in the same space..

Last edited by fietsbob; 12-26-13 at 12:46 PM.
Old 12-24-13, 08:49 PM

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1182 Post(s)
Liked 833 Times in 435 Posts
Originally Posted by TiHabanero
My wife really like hers. She used them to commute, and she has ridden short rides this winter with temps in the low 20's. I am hoping there will be a pair under the tree for me. Last month she "casually" asked me if I thought I'd like to try a pair!

I use a pair of windproof fleece gloves. They do a pretty good job.
Old 12-24-13, 09:46 PM
Council of the Elders

Bikes: 1990 Schwinn Crosscut, 5 Lemonds

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Spenco Cold Snap gloves work well for me.
Old 12-24-13, 09:51 PM

Bikes: 2011 Trek 8.4 DS hybrid; 2012 Felt F-75 road bike; 1990 Specialized Stumpjumper MTB; 1992 Guerciotti road bike (inactive)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you're like me, then gloves are no good for temps around 20. A good pair of lobster claws with a good pair of liner gloves are a warmer combination. Still, at around 20 F, the finger tips (and possibly the toes) might only be good for a max of 1 - 1.5 hrs on the bike before it's just too cold.
Old 12-25-13, 02:57 AM

Bikes: Spec Roubaix, three Fisher Montare, two Pugs

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Agreed that at some point (different for all) gloves are worthless and lobster glove or regular mittens are required. Look at pogies as a possibility and when it's crazy cold or as a safety item, bring along some Grabber chemical packs but know they take 10min or so to warm up well. I'm sure they have saved my hands and feet from severe frostbit on more than one occasion. Don't bother with the "toe" chem packs...not really big enough to help in cold temps to any meaningful degree.
Old 12-25-13, 10:33 AM
Lance Legweak

Bikes: Felt Z-70, GT RTS-2

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 16 Posts
Motorcycle shops sell electric gloves that have hand warmers. Check on that. They also make inserts that go in the gloves that warm the fingers. We also have a few guys that have hand mitts that attach to the bars that you can slip your hands into.
https://cozywinters.com/shop/bar-mitt...zmap=Bar-Mitts
https://www.zorotools.com/g/00140764/...m_campaign=PLA
https://www.thewarmingstore.com/gerbi...l#.UrsJlY2A2Uk

Last edited by HIPCHIP; 12-25-13 at 10:37 AM.
Old 12-25-13, 10:48 AM

Bikes: Catrike 700, Greenspeed GTO trike, , Linear LWB recumbent, Haluzak Horizon SWB recumbent, Balance 450 MTB, Cannondale SM800 Beast of the East

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 179 Posts
The best combination I found is Goretex glove with a removable rag wool liner. I bought mine from REI a long time ago and they have worked well when I used them to ride a motorcycle in the winter. The liners come in a variety of weights so you can swap them out for a thicker liner as it gets colder. The cover is waterproof and windproof which certainly helps a lot. The glove itself is long enough to come up over your wrist, eliminating that cold spot. Wool has the property of staying warm when it gets wet so even if you perspire in the glove it will still keep you warm. Out here in the desert I generally just use a pair of light cotton gloves in mid-day. It was 47 degrees at 6am and promises to reach 60 for a high.

The other combination that I used in the cold midwest was a pair of surplus military leather gloves with a wool liner and a separate trigger finger in the top of the glove. I removed that and sewed the leather shut since I wasn't likely to need to shoot anyone. I found them in a sporting goods store in Madison, WI. Leather is not as flexible as Goretex. They last a very long time as I still have them after many years.
Old 12-25-13, 01:19 PM
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
I've been using Specialized Sub Zero's and they've done a great job down into the 20's. The ones I have are the fingered versions (versus lobster claw) which allow for shifting of road shifters. They are like other gloves in that they have a wind and water proof outer shell along with a thin felt liner. They also have a poly fingered separate glove that the shell/liner slides over. When the temps warm up you can remove the shell and just use use the poly glove. These gloves solved my cold finger issues.
Old 12-25-13, 05:06 PM

Bikes: Sam, The Hunq and that Old Guy, Soma Buena Vista, Giant Talon 2, Brompton

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 48 Posts
Originally Posted by Barrettscv
Best low-cost mitten, good down to 10f with a 20 mph wind. Trigger finger for shifting brifters: https://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/c...aspx?a=1123976
+1 The hunters mitts I got at Gander Mountain even have pockets for hand warmers.

Marc
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_0268.JPG (19.7 KB, 7 views)
Old 12-25-13, 08:00 PM
In the Pain Cave

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Lobster gloves plus a thin wool/silk glove works perfect under 20f.
Old 12-25-13, 10:08 PM
tsl
Plays in traffic

Bikes: 1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax, 2016 Giant Talon 4

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by qcpmsame
I am surprised no one has mentioned the A'me heated bar wrap in this thread. Kind of pricey (actually it is stomp down pricey) and you have to mount the battery, kind of exacting in its installation if you have aluminum or steel bars, too. They made heated dirt bike grips for quite a while now, the enduro crowd likes them up north. Any one here using this for their hand warmth issues?
They have demos in the showroom at the LBS across the street from me. I turned them up full blast, waited a minute, then put my gloves on and tried them out.

As you would expect, like an oven mitt, gloves insulate from the heat as well as from the cold. Might be okay in the 'tween seasons while wearing half-finger gloves or none at all. Winter? A gimmick.

I'm good down to the mid-teens wearing an extra-large pair of windproof 'tween seasons cycling gloves over a large pair of summer-weight long-fingered MTB gloves.

When buying lobsters, try them on first. If your fingers are paired together inside the glove, it's okay to buy. If your fingers are separated by the liner (like a glove) don't buy them since they've defeated the purpose of pairing your fingers.

For real cold, nothing beats a good pair of snowboarder's mittens. (They're less bulky than snowmobile mittens.) And yes, I can work the levers of my STI without difficulty while wearing them. I have to shift my hands a bit and use a slightly different technique, but they're quite usable with integrated road levers.
Old 12-26-13, 09:51 AM
cycles per second

Bikes: Early 1980's Ishiwata 022 steel sport/touring, 1986 Vitus 979, 1988 DiamondBack Apex, 1997 Softride PowerWing 700, 2001 Trek OCLV 110

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 48 Posts
I use gore-tex mitten shells. I use the mitten shells by themselves down to about 30, with polypropylene glove liners down to about 20, with wool glove liners down to about 5, and with both liners below that. My personal "record" is about 1 hour @ -7F.

Last edited by Gonzo Bob; 12-26-13 at 09:55 AM.
Old 12-26-13, 11:12 AM

Bikes: Scott CR1 Team

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TiHabanero
How well do these work? I was going to order a pair on Amazon today.
Old 12-26-13, 11:38 AM

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 7148 Post(s)
Liked 134 Times in 92 Posts
Snowmobile gloves. With liners at <20degF.
Old 12-26-13, 11:49 AM
Lover of Old Chrome Moly

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 17 Posts
Three things worth mentioning that have nothing to do with brand, material, etc of the glove/mitten:

1) Glove size - Insulation is provided by trapped air, not the material itself, so it benefits a rider to get gloves a size larger than his/her summer gloves even if they feel a bit loose. This allows the insulation to keep its loft while trapping additional air between the skin and glove. If you are layering gloves, you need to make sure that each layer is progressively larger for the same reason. If your outer glove fits well by itself, it is probably to tight to put much of a liner in. Snug gloves work against you in another way, the mild compression further reduces blood flow to the fingers, which has already been compromised by the colder conditions. If you are wearing mittens, you should easily be able to wiggle your fingers inside the mitt, even when wearing a glove type liner.

2) Hydration - You don't feel as thirsty in cold weather and in many climates the air is drier than in the summer. You may not sweat much but you are still losing a huge amount of fluids. One of the first ways your body compensates for fluid loss is vasoconstriction. In order to keep your blood pressure normal when your blood volume is down, the vessels become smaller in diameter starting at the fingers and toes. Your fingers and toes don't have muscle to generate heat, so the heat must be carried there by the blood vessels. If the vasculature in your hands is constricted there is decreased incoming heat from the muscles of the arms and core, so no amount of insulation will keep your fingers warm.

3) Protect the Core - There is an old saying "If your toes are cold (or in this case fingers) put on a hat". This tip goes hand in hand with #2 . Your fingers need a copious blood supply to stay warm. Faced with survival in cold weather, one can survive sacrificing a few fingers or toes to frostbite, but hypothermia of the core can kill you. Your body has adapted to protect the core and sacrifice the extremities, so if you allow the core temperature of your head and torso to drop (this isn't the same as having a mild surface chill that might make you shiver a bit), your body will protect the core by shutting down the circulation to the hands and feet. Conversely, if the core is adequately warm and you are working hard enough to generate excess heat, the circulation to the feet and hands is increased to act as a radiator. There is a bit of a trick to keeping the core properly warm in below freezing weather. You want to stay warm enough to be comfortable but cool enough not to generate a lot of sweat. Appropriate layers and 3/4 or full zippers to adjust are your friends here. I find that cool but not shivering hard at the start and comfortable but not sweating heavily during the working part of the ride, works out about right for me and I've ridden frequently in sub-freezing weather and occasionally in sub-zero F weather.
Old 12-26-13, 12:28 PM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1740 Post(s)
Liked 1,369 Times in 718 Posts
Lobster gloves work quite well into the high 20's. Too hot for anything over 38 degrees. The functional part is loft (air trapped in the insulation) + heat source (two fingers share a space) + wind block. The lowest I have gone is 25 degrees when mountain biking. They were just fine, my lungs were not!

Keep in mind all bodies are different. My wife uses lobster gloves with heat pack inserted if we go for a walk in 30 degree temps, whereas I usually wear fingered gloves for that activity.

Note: I have poor circulation in right middle finger, standard fingered gloves cause that finger to go numb when riding in temps below 35 degrees.
Old 12-26-13, 12:28 PM
Dirt Bomb

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Quoted: 5442 Post(s)
Liked 285 Times in 236 Posts
Originally Posted by VegasTriker
The other combination that I used in the cold midwest was a pair of surplus military leather gloves with a wool liner and a separate trigger finger in the top of the glove.
I like leather gloves lined with fake lambs wool, fitted loose. Mine probably came off the Wells-Lamont display at the hardware store. Easy on/off is a plus, especially when the old schnozz gets to running. That, and I can ball my fingers up in the palm area for a quick warm up.
The ones I have now are getting pretty grungy. Think I'll stop by the Surplus store tomorrow and see if they have any lined leather gloves.
I'm sold on leather. I use unlined in coolish weather, and only wear fingerless biking gloves in the heat of summer.
Old 12-26-13, 02:27 PM
Motorcycle RoadRacer

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Rons
I've been riding some in the cold weather. Once it gets in the 20 degree range I can't keep my hands warm. Do any of you have suggestions for some good winter gloves? I've tried several combinations but nothing has worked so far. I haven't tried Gore Tex yet. Thanks.
For 25 degrees and below, I use my motorcycle gauntlet type gloves for my bicycle commutes.. pretty warm... On the motorcycle when I go below 15, I use electric gloves. Wish I could use them on the bicycle..

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.