User Tag List

My Bikes
    2016 Specialized crosstrail comp disc
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Where does it hurt now?

OK, so I have been increasing my mileage as the weather gets cooler.
    It's wonderful, the winter in Florida means cool dry air. Really lovely.
    Nuff said..............but as the mileage increases I'm developing some pain in my shoulders.
    It's in the joint on the anterior side of both shoulders.
    I've also aggravated my chronic tendonitis on the inside of my elbows (golfers elbow)
    I truly want to continue riding longer and farther, but I think if I keep going these "aches and pains"
    will turn into actual injuries.
    What would you do?
    Oh, I'm 66 and in pretty fit condition
    Treasure Coast Florida

My Bikes
    '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just keep bumping up the base miles at a reasonable clip and before long the odd aches and pains go away. For me, this happens every spring when the road bike comes out to play. Aches begin at the 2/3 mark of each ride and completely disappear within the month.
    Having a flat tire as part of the total cycling experience is highly overrated. Knowing how to fix one quickly is not.

Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not quite to 50 yet, but old enough that I'm picking up a few aches and pains in life.

However, I agree with OldsCOOL, that you need to keep at it. Use it or loose it. And the more you use it, the better off you will be.

I wouldn't, however, completely ignore what your body is trying to tell you.

On your signature, it says you have two flat bar hybrids?

I suppose I've been riding a drop bar road bike ever since I was in grade school. It just seems so natural. I know my father changed his drops for flat bars (mustache?), and really liked it.

However, the more I read about the drops, there are several reasons to consider them beyond just "going fast". You can naturally hold them in a dozen different ways which allows adjusting to what is comfortable at the moment.

I'm probably guilty of riding straight-armed , but one is supposed to flex a bit at the elbows, and let the core body muscles support your weight. And the more time on the bike, the better it will be.

Anyway, you might consider a bit different fit/style with your bikes. Is there any way you could rent a road bike or drop bar cyclocross bike for a week or two? Borrow one?

My Bikes
    Globe Carmel, Motobecane Mirage
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Every day. But the temperature doesn't matter. It's the barometric pressure - any sudden shift, up or down, and my joints and sinuses feel like they're gonna explode. Soon as it stabilizes, whether normal, high or low, I'm okay again. Usually. Not today, though.

My breakfast is 2-3 cups of coffee, two ibuprofen, a generic Zyrtec, and decongestant. After an hour I begin to feel human.

But after this many accidents, near misses and health problems, I figure every day above ground is a plus. And a day above two wheels is even better.

Tomorrow will be better - that's what I keep telling myself, because some days it's true.
    Why not Zoidberg?

My Bikes
    see signature
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You need a bike fit
    By someone who knows what they are doing; with 30 day follow-up.

2nd the notion that flat bars are the wrong choice when increasing mileage.
    81 AustroDaimler Olympian/81 Mondia Super/82 Holdsworth Special/85 EM Corsa Extra/86 DeRosa Professional/99 Pinarello/99 Calfee/03 Macalu/04 Tallerico + tandem/mtn/beach cruiser

My Bikes
    Byron,Sam, The Hunq and that Old Guy
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Raising the handlebars helped a lot for me. I used a stem extender on my road bike and just taking that little weight off my arms helped a lot. I also went to larger tires, 25 and 28mm on my road bike, it helps eliminate a lot of vibration from the the chipseal used here in the midwest.

Marc
    Read Simply Cycle

"I can still do everything I used to, but now I'm mature enough to take a nap without being told." - Me

"You don't deteriorate from age,you age from deterioration" --Joe Weider

My Bikes
    Cannondale CAAD9
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree that it might be time for a road bike. Hybrids, even really nice ones like your Crosstrail, aren't designed for distance. This probably isn't what you want to hear since you just bought the Crosstrail.

One thing you might want to try is putting bar ends on your bike. They're pretty easy to install; where I work we install them free with purchase. This would give you another hand position, one that rotates your wrists 90 degrees from where they are on the grips.

I'm 64, and 100 miles on a road bike is no big deal. OldTryGuy is 67 and could ride me into the ground. Road bikes are just more comfortable when you start to pile on the miles.
    Regards,
    Chuck

Demain, on roule!

My Bikes
    2008 Scott CR1 Pro; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It only hurts when I laugh.
    Proud parent of a happy inner child ...
    www.photo395.com

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I find the sedentary lifestyle painful.
    Having a flat tire as part of the total cycling experience is highly overrated. Knowing how to fix one quickly is not.

My Bikes
    Fuji, Focus.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My situation is similar to yours, 65 and ride a flat bar hybrid (till last year when I added road bike) and had similar issues with upper back and shoulder pain.

A couple things helped:
    - More than anything I got some PT and started more focused upper back exercises, the cost was nothing compared to the benefits

- Don't "work through it" by riding longer when the pain says stop, build up slowly

- Move the saddle up to shorten the length of your reach

- Barends help some, check the Ergon grips with palm support. Your Crosstrail may already have them

- stop and stretch rotate your shoulders and stay loose

Good luck
    Last edited by bargeon; 01-10-16 at 09:31 AM.

My Bikes
    2015 Charge Plug, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by revchuck View Post
    I agree that it might be time for a road bike. Hybrids, even really nice ones like your Crosstrail, aren't designed for distance. This probably isn't what you want to hear since you just bought the Crosstrail.

One thing you might want to try is putting bar ends on your bike. They're pretty easy to install; where I work we install them free with purchase. This would give you another hand position, one that rotates your wrists 90 degrees from where they are on the grips.

I'm 64, and 100 miles on a road bike is no big deal. OldTryGuy is 67 and could ride me into the ground. Road bikes are just more comfortable when you start to pile on the miles.
    +1 bar ends. +1 on getting a fitting. I also installed an aerobar on my MTB for more positions, $20 new on closeout a few years ago.
    "When life hands you lumens, make lumen-aide!"

My Bikes
    My beloved 2001 Litespeed Tuscany and my 2014 Cannondale SuperSix EVO Hi-Mod Team bike
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Are you relaxing your arms, neck and shoulders when you're riding? Don't ride with stiff arms and tight shoulders. Always works for me but I don't have any flat bar bikes. Have you tried a road bike with drop bars?
    BTW: I'm 71.

My Bikes
    '14 Trek 1.1, '10 Fuji Finest 3.0, '98 Cannondale R500, '93 Bianchi Europa, '88 Trek 360
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It doesn't matter what sport you play... practice the basics.

As sit bone areas toughen-up and longer rides become the norm it is easy to for get to "bend at the elbows". The basic riding position is a balance where the rider/cyclist is "perched" on the three contact points... pedal, handlebar, and saddle.

Remember to sit up and dangle one or both arms from time to time, and to stand to ride from time to time also. Also remember to sip some water... before you get thirsty as cyclists sweat even in cool weather.
    Last edited by Dave Cutter; 01-10-16 at 09:53 AM.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lots of good suggestions here, very appreciated.
    I should take the cannondale off because I never ride it anymore, it's dear wifes bike now.
    I do have bar ends...specifically the ergon gp4 and so ride with the palms facing in for much of my ride.
    I think I may try moving the seat forward a little to shorten the reach. I hesitate to do anything fit wise, because the bike does fit very well.
    However if there is one area that could improve a little it's the reach. I'll try baby steps.
    Damnest thing about bikes is that no change is isolated. Move the seat forward also changes the pedaling angle.
    I said "What hurts now" in my subject line because hip pain was a big problem for me. I've been pain free for a couple of months, and very happy with the fit.
    Shoulder pain only started after increasing mileage this winter.
    ))(*&**))))**&&%^&....(avid curses loudly)
    I've decided a couple of things.
    first....I will continue with the longer rides twice weekly, and take one day off per week untill pain is gone.
    second....will move the saddle forward just a tad.
    Thanks again to all who gave feedback.
    Treasure Coast Florida

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dont overthink it. Just ride.

Just because it hurts doesnt mean something is wrong.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OldsCOOL View Post
    Dont overthink it. Just ride.

Just because it hurts doesnt mean something is wrong.
    If I woke up one day and nothing hurt, I'd think I was dead.

SP
    OC, OR

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rando_couche View Post

SP
    OC, OR
    Brutal truth.

My Bikes
    Easy Racer Tour Easy LE, Sun EZ-3, Scott Spark 760 2014 Dahon Speed P8
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Or you could ride one of these,

IMG_smaller 3.jpg

,,,All day long, Pain Free In most cases,
    When I stop for a drink and a munchie I often never get up off the bike, the seat Is really that comfy and I can reach my bag behind me seated.

The recumbent allowed me to reach a physical condition that made It possible for me to ride this:

IMG_20140913_092802_089.jpg,,,

Like a Crazy Teenager

I kept getting stronger so I upgraded to a 1X11 and got faster

IMG_20150904_195204_855.jpg
    Last edited by osco53; 01-10-16 at 01:27 PM.
    “Get a bicycle. You will not regret it if you live.” Mark Twain

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rando_couche View Post

SP
    OC, OR
    LOL, I feel ya bro'
    I got concerned because I was massaging my shoulder, y'know...ususal stuff, a little stiff etc. but when i pressed in at the joint it was a sharp pain. So I tired the other shoulder and it was almost as bad. I'm not an alarmist by any means, but I have enough self inflicted injuries to know when something is wrong and I'm headed for trouble. Problem is that the best thing one can do for an over use injury is to rest.
    I have trouble doing that. whether it be the gym, the golf course or cycling I love my life and love to do the things I love. I'll rest when i'm dead.
    Treasure Coast Florida

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by avidone1 View Post
    Lots of good suggestions here, very appreciated.
    I should take the cannondale off because I never ride it anymore, it's dear wifes bike now.
    I do have bar ends...specifically the ergon gp4 and so ride with the palms facing in for much of my ride.
    I think I may try moving the seat forward a little to shorten the reach. I hesitate to do anything fit wise, because the bike does fit very well.
    However if there is one area that could improve a little it's the reach.
    I'll try baby steps.
    Damnest thing about bikes is that no change is isolated. Move the seat forward also changes the pedaling angle.
    I said "What hurts now" in my subject line because hip pain was a big problem for me. I've been pain free for a couple of months, and very happy with the fit.
    Shoulder pain only started after increasing mileage this winter.
    ))(*&**))))**&&%^&....(avid curses loudly)
    I've decided a couple of things.
    first....I will continue with the longer rides twice weekly, and take one day off per week untill pain is gone.
    second....will move the saddle forward just a tad.
    Thanks again to all who gave feedback.
    Shorter reach stem would a better solution than moving the seat forward I should think.

My Bikes
    Custom Zona c/f tandem + Scott Plasma single
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Age 83, still ride +/- 100 miles a week year round.
    Setting up a new/other bike takes a bit of patience; small changes like saddle position make a huge difference.
    Take tools with you when you ride so you can adjust things.
    Just bought a new bike and so far it took me a month to do all the minor adjustments.
    Attached Images Attached Images