Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Just an observation....

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Just an observation....

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-17, 11:49 AM

Bikes: Trek FX7.2 Hybrid, Bianchi c2c road bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just an observation....

When I hit the bike forum I generally see how many folks are logged in to "General Discussion".... and jump ahead to see how many of us are doing the 50+ thing.... generally about 1/3 as many visitors are on the 50+ side of things, remarkable considering how many 50+ may be on the General Cycling side of things at any particular moment. There are a lot of us out there !.... Feeling good !!!!
Old 03-25-17, 11:05 PM
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Demographics of forum participation are more indicative of the age range of folks who prefer a particular type of moderated forum, regardless of hobby or niche interest, than a reflection of the overall participation in that hobby or niche.

I was a longtime mod of a couple of hobbyist forums (Don Mod Emeritus, technically, since just when you think you're out they pull you back in), either based on this same phpBB variant, or an older platform that was the precursor to phpBB. While we occasionally got younger participants they didn't stay long. The participants who prefer this type of forum format, with at least some moderator intervention to keep things more or less civil and on topic, tend to be older than 30 (increasingly much older than 30), holding middle class or better jobs that afford leisure time and income, retired folks from those types of jobs, are predominantly white male, and generally communicate pretty much the same way online as they do in real life.

Younger folks tend to gravitate toward more specialized outlets, when they do participate on discussion forums; and toward free-for-all or lightly moderated comment sections attached to static content articles. They tend to be drawn like moths to a cliche when they see headlines like "The 2017 Machismo Bull Testicle Full Floater: Great MTB or Greatest MTB? Are You a Wimp if You Don't Ride One?"

R3dd!t (that site which may not be named but rhymes with "bread spit") and similar outlets that were slightly more civil than image boards like 4chan also tend to attract a younger demographic who enjoy a bit of verbal sparring along with discussing and cussing hobbies and niche interests and issues.

Younger folks I know in real life and via their online personas tend to use very different communication styles. They may seem trollish online but often it's just a bravura performance. Not that it isn't part of them, it's just a greatly enhanced or exaggerated version of their real life selves.
Old 03-26-17, 09:43 AM

Bikes: SWorks Stumpy, Haibike Xduro RX, Crave SS

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 514 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
I believe the moderators and admin work very hard to help keep this place, in my opinion, the best behaved forum I have ever seen. I do agree the older crowd likely makes the job easier. And, that an older crowd might gravitate here, due to the more friendly environment, my guesses. When I was a mod on a sportbike forum it was an intense situation.

I love talking about bikes, I love MTBs, but I am just too old to enjoy the popular MTB forum that I find hostile, even though I can talk more about MTBs. It just was not worth it.
Old 03-26-17, 02:48 PM

Bikes: Mongoose Reform Sport

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Kindaslow
I believe the moderators and admin work very hard to help keep this place, in my opinion, the best behaved forum I have ever seen. I do agree the older crowd likely makes the job easier. And, that an older crowd might gravitate here, due to the more friendly environment, my guesses. When I was a mod on a sportbike forum it was an intense situation.

I love talking about bikes, I love MTBs, but I am just too old to enjoy the popular MTB forum that I find hostile, even though I can talk more about MTBs. It just was not worth it.

Just wondering .... Which sportbike forum was it ?
Old 03-28-17, 06:55 AM

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Just an observation....
Originally Posted by Artfahie
When I hit the bike forum I generally see how many folks are logged in to"General Discussion".... and jump ahead to see how many of us are doing the 50+ thing.... generally about 1/3 as many visitors are on the 50+side of things, remarkable considering how many 50+ may be on the General Cycling side of things at any particular moment. There are a lot of us out there !.... Feeling good !!!!
Originally Posted by canklecat
Demographics of forum participation are more indicative of the age range of folks who prefer a particular type of moderated forum, regardless of hobby or niche interest, than a reflection of the overall participation in that hobby or niche…
Originally Posted by Kindaslow
I believe the moderators and admin work very hard to help keep this place, in my opinion, the best behaved forum I have ever seen.

I d
o agree the older crowd likely makes the job easier. And, that an older crowd might gravitate here, due to the more friendlyenvironment, my guesses…

I love talking about bikes
I’m a data wonk, and I’m impressed by the statistical data provided by the site, though seemingly not often the subject of threads (unlike Strava data ). On a personal assessment of my Forum preferences, I replied to a previous thread on the General Cycling Forum, “How do you use this site?,”
Originally Posted by Indyspeeddmon
I realized, while cruising the site, that I tend to routinely visit 3 forums in order. 1st I hit the general forum, then the Clydesdales/Athenas forum as I am near that size and their tips and training are motivational to me, last is the road bike forum as I only ride on the road and find a lot of good info from a lot of very focused people.

I s
ometimes scan through other forums and I do check out the Mechanics forum when looking for a specific issue but it made me wonder how others use this site…
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
I prefer more the experiential discussions on BF rather than the technical/materiel (hardware) Forums, so I daily visit General Discussion, Advocacy & Safety, Commuting, Fifty-Plus, Living Car Free, Road Cycling, Touring, and seasonally,Winter Cycling…

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 03-28-17 at 07:02 AM.
Old 03-28-17, 08:05 AM

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
Originally Posted by Artfahie
When I hit the bike forum I generally see how many folks are logged in to "General Discussion".... and jump ahead to see how many of us are doing the 50+ thing....
interesting to read. I usually click the New Posts to see if there's anything interesting to read & if I can contribute something. then I'll hit some favorite sub-forums to dig deeper
Old 03-29-17, 08:32 AM
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3898 Post(s)
Liked 4,833 Times in 2,229 Posts
Road Forum and C&V Forum seem to be the most popular (by # of users), and frequently have about equal numbers. According to my casual observation.
Old 03-30-17, 08:59 AM

Bikes: Carrera Virtuoso and friend

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 38 Posts
I only use the over 50's; the over 65's is a bit quiet sometimes. there is a lot of vitriol on many other sites where you would least expect it. But it's sometimes fun to observe the verbal pugilistics between intelligent fellas in full swing. Especially when their mothers get dragged into it . . . I do get jealous of their phraseology.
Old 03-30-17, 09:32 AM
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Another reason some are here, is the fact we are retired, and can get on the forum any time we feel like it. Retirement is great. It kinda like the summer between the 11th and 12th grade, we are free, we have a car, and no responsibility.
Old 03-31-17, 06:11 PM

Bikes: Specialized Diverge Elite DSW

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
And on Friday nights (like tonight), we don't have anywhere else to go and I need to be in the rack by 1030 So checking out the forums is a big night!
Old 03-31-17, 06:23 PM
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10963 Post(s)
Liked 4,620 Times in 2,123 Posts
Originally Posted by ironknee
And on Friday nights (like tonight), we don't have anywhere else to go and I need to be in the rack by 1030 So checking out the forums is a big night!
Speak for yourself. I can't pass 9:30 on most nights.