Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Stretching- may not be optional

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-06, 03:52 PM
Rides again

Bikes: Giant OCR T, Trek SC

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Ok it's been over a week, almost two and no joy riding. Strained left quad and Dr said to stay off for a bit. This is boring and annoying. PT said I ***have to*** start stretching or I'm going to do permanent damage. No damage yet, but will take some time to get back to normal.

Just thought others might like to know. I don't have the recommended stretching exercises yet, I'll report later.
Old 04-25-06, 06:14 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Bikes: Varies by day

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Stretching beez mandatory for me. I sprain easily if I don't limber up.
Old 04-25-06, 06:23 PM

Bikes: Merlin Extralight Topolino Wheels Campy Record

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well, there was a thread a while back on stretching. The opinions among PTs, DRs, trainers, etc are all over the map on this one. Anywhere from no stretching to stretch all the time. My favorite one recently popped up noting that animals only stretch for a few seconds at a time and rarely do it multiple times. The guys did a human study (who doesn't) and concluded nature's way is the best. My sports physician told me only to stretch if there was an injury and then only after warming up.
Let the discussion commence
Old 04-25-06, 06:30 PM
Berry Pie..the Holy Grail

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RockyMtnMerlin
Let the discussion commence
LOL. I haven't stretched purposefully for years, but have decided to try the stretching suggested in Wallack's "Bike for Life". I noticed that, for whatever reason, I'm getting that aging hunch over they mention. (Or maybe I only noticed it because they mentioned it!) At 5'8" I need all the altitude I can get!

Stretching except as a "loosening up" before exercise seems counterintuitive....but afterward seems relaxing and beneficial. Sheesh, one more time suck from the essentials: sleeping eating riding posting and now stretching. Screw my job.
Old 04-25-06, 08:14 PM
Geezer Member

Bikes: Airborne, LeMond, Bianchi CX, Volae Century, Redline 925 (fixed) and a Burley Tandem.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You ever watch a cat after a nap? Before they move anywhere they stretch... I doubt if they do it because they read it somewhere....
Old 04-25-06, 08:32 PM
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1395 Post(s)
Liked 1,336 Times in 842 Posts
I have developed a nasty case of Achilles tendinitis, for which stretching provides the most effective relief.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 04-26-06, 01:28 AM

Location: Alameda, CA, an island city on the edge of San Francisco Bay
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I always thought stretching was for wusses, just get on the bike and ride.

Then I developed a pronounced limp and leg pain last year. When both the chiropractor and the massage lady ganged up on me and insisted I stretch I reluctantly complied.

Result: far more limber, no leg pain, still strong cycling, spending 1/2 hour extra each day (stretching before and after riding, so the 1/2 hour has to come out of something else, like work), and humbly wondering why I was an idiot for so long denying the good advice I had been getting.

I got some cycling specific stretches from the chiropractor, I'll check whether I can get permission to post them.
Old 04-26-06, 05:39 AM
In Memory of One Cool Cat

Bikes: Lemond Victoire, Cannondale.Mountain Bike, two 1980s lugged steel Treks, ancient 1980-something Giant mountain bike converted into a slick tired commuter with mustache handlebars, 1960-something Raleigh Sports

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by RockyMtnMerlin
animals only stretch for a few seconds at a time and rarely do it multiple times.
I've noticed that in my cats. At the same time, they're too smart to sit at a computer or on a bicycle for long hours and they absolutely disdain long distance running. All of these things, which I do, can tighten up muscles. So I figure stretching is good cheap insurance that seems to work for me.
Old 04-26-06, 05:45 AM
OnTheRoad or AtTheBeach

Bikes: Ridley Noah RS, Scott CR1 Pro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Coming from a running background in HS and College standard procedure was a warmup run (jogging 1-2mi) followed by about 15min of stretching. Now with riding I usually keep my first 2-3mi in low gear and spin at low speed to warm up. However, I don't really want to stop after the warmup and stretch so I then just move on the intensive part of my qorkout. After I ride I may stretch a few times a week mainly to keep my flexability. Flexability decreases as you age if you don't work on it and results in sore backs, necks etc after long rides.
Old 04-26-06, 04:00 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have been biking forever but only started stretching 2 and a half years ago. That's when I started taking spinning classes (5-6 a week in bad weather seasons and on rainy days during riding season). They have you stretch on the bike after a brief warmup and more extensive stretching on and off the bike at the end of the class.

I never had bike related injuries or felt particularly tight but I have to say that after 2.5 years I think stretching has really started to help me on the bike. I stretch all the time now after biking. I focus the most on my hamstrings and it's the on-bike results that have surprised me the most. It could be because I am in better shape than ever, but I feel much much more comfortable riding low in the drops. I never used to like riding in the drops for more than 10 or 15 minutes at a time (usually into the wind) but now I feel like I can stay in them all day. I think the stretching has made a big difference in that regard so I'll stick with it. I only stretch after my ride is finished for maybe 15 to 20 minutes.
Old 04-26-06, 04:59 PM

Bikes: Not enough

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by
You ever watch a cat after a nap? Before they move anywhere they stretch... I doubt if they do it because they read it somewhere....
I watched my cats and they always lick their *** just after.
Old 04-26-06, 05:36 PM

Bikes: Electra Townie 7D

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Stretch before the ride
or ride on a stretcher.
Old 04-26-06, 06:48 PM
Get A Life - Get A Bike

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Bianchi San Jose, '87 Schwinn Super Sport

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by HiYoSilver
Ok it's been over a week, almost two and no joy riding. Strained left quad and Dr said to stay off for a bit. This is boring and annoying. PT said I ***have to*** start stretching or I'm going to do permanent damage. No damage yet, but will take some time to get back to normal.

Just thought others might like to know. I don't have the recommended stretching exercises yet, I'll report later.
Ouch! Sounds painful! How did you injure it?

Steve
Old 04-26-06, 08:34 PM
Geezer Member

Bikes: Airborne, LeMond, Bianchi CX, Volae Century, Redline 925 (fixed) and a Burley Tandem.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Red Baron
I watched my cats and they always lick their *** just after.
Try it.... I bet that stretches you out....
Old 04-26-06, 08:43 PM
Berry Pie..the Holy Grail

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
[QUOTE=Red Baron]I watched my cats and they always lick their *** just after.QUOTE]

Sorry, guys, do what you want to, but I'm not going there.
Old 04-30-06, 10:05 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 25 Posts
With (2) herniated discs and ~120 mile/week bike commute stretching is not optional.

Jeff
Old 04-30-06, 11:17 AM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
I always do my pre ride stretching on the bike. A couple of miles warm up and then it is time to stretch- whilst still moving. Stretch the back out, right pedal low and heel down to stretch the calfs, then left pedal down and the same, hunch the shoulders, neck through full movement and I am ready. I cannot get into a pre ride regime of stretching but that Exercise after 2 miles always occurs.

Spike Milligan
Old 04-30-06, 08:00 PM
jock doc

Bikes: Torque Titanium with 650c wheels

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The final word on stretching is..................
If it feels GOOD, do it. But always stretch after you've warmed up.
This has to do with Core body temp. and the plasticity of the muscle units when they are warm.
Rule of thumb: Sweat then Stretch.
Old 05-01-06, 01:57 PM
Rides again

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by cheeseflavor
Ouch! Sounds painful! How did you injure it?

Steve
wish I knew. Best guess is tried to mash up hill too hard. PT point pressure took away the pain, hopefully will get ok this week to return to biking.

Yes, from my rereading it seems like stretching is of most value AFTER riding, ie very warmed up.
Old 05-03-06, 08:44 AM
Rides again

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
PT gave me a pass to return to cycling. Here's an update.

Diagnosis: muscles on left leg are weaker and much much tigher than right leg. This puts too much strain on the body and it is only a matter of time before a muscle strain happens.

Treatment: complete 3 stretches 3 times a day. It doesn't matter if muscles warmed up or not, goal is to balance the flexibility and power of the legs.

Stretch #1: hamstrings
Stand on one leg, balance with one arm on wall/support. Pull toe upwards into rear so leg is a V. Point the front of the V as close to the line of the other leg as possible without hurting. Key here is to see back is straight. Duration is 30 seconds and repeat 3 times. You know you are doing it correctly if the front of the thigh feels the stretch.

Stretch #2: lean into wall
Both legs, with feet staying flat, lean into wall. If you don't feel any stretching, drop your body more to increase the drop from vertical on your ankles. Key here is to keep your body, except for feet, straight. 30 seconds x 3 reps.

Stretch #3: back of leg
Balancing your body with arm, raise leg and rest on top of chair. Keeping your back straight, lean forward until you feel some stretching. Hold for 30 seconds and repeat 3 times. You know you are doing it right if you feel stretching behind the knee.

That's all. Oh, and when riding keep cadence above 90. Hope this will help someone else. It's a pain to miss a couple weeks of riding just for a muscle strain.
Old 05-04-06, 04:25 PM
Rides again

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
PT guy was so funny today. It's been overcast with floating showers for last couple of days and expected to continue thru Sat. I saw him Tues and today. Naturally I drove Tues and that was when he said it's time to try riding again. So he started with, Well I guess you didn't ride yesterday and we still don't know if you leg has recovered.

Huh, it was only overcast in the morning. I rode home yesterday in between showers. Only problem was I had on rain pants I didn't need. But still nice ride.

It's fun to see someone's jaw drop. Sheesh, a little rain doesn't hurt. So then he starts asking about the commute and why. He nods yes yes with the time savings and the money savings. He's thinking about it. I'm going to have to check and see how far he has to travel. Safety on the road seems to be his big concern. Didn't connect today, but next week he's open game.
Old 05-04-06, 07:42 PM

Bikes: Not enough

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by HiYoSilver
PT guy was so funny today. .
It's fun to see someone's jaw drop.
Last time I did PT, last year, back trouble, young lady asked me if I could bend over and try to touch the ground with my finger tips.
I bent over and put knuckles (made fist) flat down on floor, and asked if that was OK. Look on her face was priceless.

BTW- hope you get well 'HYS' . Good Luck.