Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Reflections on 4 years of riding

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-06, 04:04 PM
Lincoln, CA

Bikes: 94 Giant ATX 760, 2001 Biachi Eros, 2005 Giant OCR2 Composite +

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

I've always had a bike, from my blue Royal Sabre I got when I was 8, through the Schwinn Varsity I bought used in 72 and rode until 96 to my current upgraded Giant OCR comp. It was four year ago I got seriouse about road biking. I had a chance to get a good deal on a Bianchi Eros and grabbed it. Up until then, I thought riding 30 miles was a big deal. Last year, I rode over 6000 miles and will probably do it again this year. I have ridden from SF to LA . . . twice. I can do a century anytime. I am a founding member of our bicycle club.

In those four years, I have retired, both of my daughters have married, my mother-in-law has come to live with us and lots of my friends seem to be getting old.

What cycling has done for me can be summed up in the "Three F's":
1. FITNESS - It goes without saying. If all of one's hobbies are indoor-sit-at-a-desk, you get older faster.
2. FRIENDS - Even though I have lived in this little town of 5000 for 35 years, I have found an entire new group of friends (and kept the old ones) through cycling.
3. FOCUS - The training, equipment, maintenance, riding, organizing, writing, reading BF, etc., have given me something to focus on in my retirement. My other two main hobbies (photography and blues music) fit right into cycling.

So, that's my ramble. I felt like writing it somewhere and where better than the 50+. You guys all understand. So, I had a nice ride this morning and the club is having a BBQ this afternoon. I've got a great steak and a good bottle of red wine to take along. It doesn't get any better than this.

See you on the forums . . .

Mojo Slim
Old 07-02-06, 04:26 PM
Bike Junkie

Location: South of Raleigh, North of New Hill, East of Harris Lake, NC

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Specialized Roubaix, Giant OCR-C, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, Stumpjumper Comp, 88 & 92Nishiki Ariel, 87 Centurion Ironman, 92 Paramount, 84 Nishiki Medalist

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 27 Posts
Fit, friends, a good bottle of wine and a steak. Sounds like a great combination to me. Sounds like you've made a lot of tough adjustments very nicely. Congratulations.
Old 07-02-06, 04:43 PM
Banned.

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Good thoughts, Mojo Slim

Last edited by DnvrFox; 07-02-06 at 06:27 PM.
Old 07-09-06, 09:49 AM

Bikes: sun ez sport

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
blues is the news

rat on mojo. I'm 57 and started bike commuting 2 yrs ago (don't know why I waited so long) and its the best thing I've done for myself in a long time,except for being the front man for the Hipshakers (LOCAL BLUES BAND HERE IN NACOGDOCHES TEXAS FOR THE LAST 15 YRS). Do you play? What do you ride? Years ago I rode a Volkscycle 10 speed everywhere but age has put me on a Sun ez sport bent an I luv it. I SUPPORT THE BLUES!
Old 07-09-06, 11:43 AM

Bikes: 1984 Peugeot P8; 2006 Trek 5200

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Good Reflections Mojo. Sitting still and unfit is a cause of death as far as I'm concerned. Yes, I do have stationary hobbies (reading for one), but it is all backed up by riding.
It sounds like you have a wonderful time.
Old 07-09-06, 12:33 PM

Bikes: Trek 7000 and a Trek 1200

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Very well put Mojo-I started cycling about 2 and a half years ago at the age of 52 and I am now about 46.
Old 07-09-06, 02:33 PM

Bikes: 2015 Scissortail hardtail MTB, 2013 XL Longbike USS recumbent, 2010 Hans Schneider steel randonneur road bike, 2005 Surly LHT;

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Got your mojo workin'

Very nice soliloquy, Mojo Slim, about cycling. Thanks for sharing your thoughts on this - it is inspiring to those of us working up to 30 miles (28.4 today for the 1st time).
Old 07-09-06, 03:11 PM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Great post, Mojo. I couldn't agree more. But as a bluesman, you've got to know better than to call grilling steaks a BBQ. Nothing wrong with grilling a good steak mind you, but barbecue involves hardwood coals, a hog and all night cooking.

Glad to meet another cyclist who loves the blues. I'm a harp player and singer myself. Have made a few runs at starting working bands, but it always turns out to be too much time and work and not enough pay. But I still love to play and sing any chance I get.
Old 07-09-06, 11:00 PM
Lincoln, CA

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by bluesman8665
rat on mojo. I'm 57 and started bike commuting 2 yrs ago (don't know why I waited so long) and its the best thing I've done for myself in a long time,except for being the front man for the Hipshakers (LOCAL BLUES BAND HERE IN NACOGDOCHES TEXAS FOR THE LAST 15 YRS). Do you play? What do you ride? Years ago I rode a Volkscycle 10 speed everywhere but age has put me on a Sun ez sport bent an I luv it. I SUPPORT THE BLUES!

No, I don't play. I might know three cords on a guitar that could back up a slow blues. I have an above-average knowlege of blues history and a pretty good collection of music. When reading about blues artists, I noticed that many had "Big", "Magic", "Mojo" and "Slim" in their names, hence my screen name. I'm one of those who rides with an iPod (out here in Rural Northern California). Every now and then, I will have what I call a "Smile Moment" -- cruising along at 20+ mph well into a long ride and some great blues song comes on. SMILE.

As mentioned in my original post, I ride a Giant OCR Comp, with Nimble Spider wheels and (soon) and FSA K-Wing handlebar.
Old 07-10-06, 06:47 AM
Streetfire

Bikes: Trek 1200c, BMC Streetfire, Gary Fisher Wahoo

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Nother blues guy checking in.. I play guitar. My "Smile Moment" is when I'm cruising along and "Move It On Over" blasts from the iPod.
Old 07-10-06, 11:48 AM
Lincoln, CA

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by bluesman8665
Hey. Is there any HIPSHAKERS music on CD? I love local bands and having music no one else in my area has. How about a blues song? "Deralleur Blues" or "I've Been Down So Long My Bottom Bracket Looks Up"?

The picture attached is doctored. I don't want to give anyone the impression that I might actually be cool.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Tom Tunes Up 2.jpg (51.0 KB, 8 views)
Old 07-10-06, 12:15 PM
Streetfire

Bikes: Trek 1200c, BMC Streetfire, Gary Fisher Wahoo

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Great pic, nice Gibson. A few weeks ago I was out riding on a particularly winding day and found myself writing "Headwind Blues" in my head as I rode..