Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

The 2nd Diego Ride Report

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-07, 04:26 PM
I need more cowbell.

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Sirrus Elite

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Distance: 17.1 miles

Location: Mission Bay (Combination of paved MUPs and surface streets)

Conditions: Cloudy, 62 degrees, winds at 8 mph, most of the ride into the wind

Adjustments: I raised the handlebars twice, and they are now at the maximum height. I also rotated the handlebars slightly upward. I made no adjustments to the saddle for this ride.

Results: The pain in my hands was noticeably reduced, although not completely. That said, I was also able to reduce the pain to nearly nothing by paying more attention to my "posture," for lack of a better word. When I focused on having "soft hands," by which I mean a soft grip on the bars and more reliance on core muscles to hold my position, I felt better.

However, I also noticed some knee pain in both knees, on the tops of the fronts of the knees. To be fair, I've had just a bit of this even on the Cypress lately, but it was distinct today on the Trek. I'd rate this knee pain at 2 or 3 on a 10 point scale.

Ride was fun -- I still am fascinated by my increase in speed.

Addendum: I have four hand positions on these bars, and I'll list them in order of my favorite:

1. At the corners, in almost a "handshake" position.

2. On top, in a classic flatbar position.

3. Right on top of the brakes.

4. In the drops.

I'm going to keep dialing and I understand that, at the end of the day, the bike may prove to be just a tad too small for me. (For instance, I'd like to lower the saddle a bit but I doubt that's going to be realistic.).

It's a fun bike, I'll give it that!

Proud member of the original Club Tombay
Old 04-04-07, 04:37 PM
His Brain is Gone!

Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Isn't it interesting to find yourself going faster when you ride a light road bike. And the handling is so much different too.

Do you have brake levers when you right on the flat top, or just on the hoods? I'm not comfortable on road bikes that have only the single set of hood brake levers. I like being able to have quick access from the flat bar.
Old 04-04-07, 04:38 PM
The Improbable Bulk

Bikes: Many

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Good news on the improvement for your hands!

I hope each ride gets better and better... Of course now you have the thought of that other bike to lure you elsewhere.

People do not seem to realize that their opinion of the world is also a confession of character.
- Ralph Waldo Emerson
Old 04-04-07, 04:39 PM
I need more cowbell.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil
Isn't it interesting to find yourself going faster when you ride a light road bike. And the handling is so much different too.

Do you have brake levers when you right on the flat top, or just on the hoods? I'm not comfortable on road bikes that have only the single set of hood brake levers. I like being able to have quick access from the flat bar.
Just on the hoods, and I'm not yet used to that. I keep reaching for my flatbar brakes and then realizing I have to reach for the ones on the hoods. Yikes!

Old 04-04-07, 04:47 PM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1400 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Digital Gee
Just on the hoods, and I'm not yet used to that. I keep reaching for my flatbar brakes and then realizing I have to reach for the ones on the hoods. Yikes!
I don't think I'd like that either, too much opportunity for and then Club Tombes.
Old 04-04-07, 06:33 PM
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
Good progress!!! For the knee pain, you might try moving the saddle back (away from the bars) about a cm. It might also need raising a cm but would go with moving it back first.

That's one of the challenges with an "undersized" frame. The saddle will need to be a taller from the top tube than preferable which will tend to put the bars a little lower in relation to the saddle height. It's not a huge difference but when you hear folks talk about a perfect fit, that's some of the little things that are noticeable and increase comfort.

Just as info, I'm very fortunate and have been able to stay pretty flexible-and I guess it doesn't hurt to have extra-long arms. My handlebars are 4 inches lower than the saddle on one road bike, 3 inches lower on the Madone and a good 5-6 inches lower on the TT bike. When I've rented bikes that had the handlebars even with the saddle it feels like I'm sitting straight up!! I guess it's all what you get used to.
Old 04-04-07, 06:34 PM

Bikes: Flat bar road bike, trail bike and MTB

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
( noticed some knee pain in both knees, on the tops of the fronts of the knees. )

I thought I've read somewhere on the forum, that this type of pain was from the seat being too low. My seat is high enough I actually have to hop up to get on. Quite interesting to read of your trials and adjustments. I gave up early with my road bike and put on a flat bar.
Old 04-04-07, 10:29 PM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Every time I read where someone is concerned about not having access to brakes from every possible position, I wonder how many emergency stop situations they must find themselves in. I understand what Gary is talking about, being used to a different setup. But after a short time you get used to the new position and moving quickly to that position becomes second nature. I see it as an adjustment, not a problem.
Old 04-04-07, 11:06 PM
I need more cowbell.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BluesDawg
Every time I read where someone is concerned about not having access to brakes from every possible position, I wonder how many emergency stop situations they must find themselves in. I understand what Gary is talking about, being used to a different setup. But after a short time you get used to the new position and moving quickly to that position becomes second nature. I see it as an adjustment, not a problem.
I agree; it's an adjustment. And there's even a solution if for some reason I can't adjust -- secondary brake levers CAN be mounted on the bike. But I'm not going to do that until I have a lot of miles under my belt on the bike and IF I still find myself reaching instinctively for the wrong spot.