I need more cowbell.

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Sirrus Elite

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The 2nd Diego Ride Report

Distance: 17.1 miles

Location: Mission Bay (Combination of paved MUPs and surface streets)

Conditions: Cloudy, 62 degrees, winds at 8 mph, most of the ride into the wind

Adjustments: I raised the handlebars twice, and they are now at the maximum height. I also rotated the handlebars slightly upward. I made no adjustments to the saddle for this ride.

Results: The pain in my hands was noticeably reduced, although not completely. That said, I was also able to reduce the pain to nearly nothing by paying more attention to my "posture," for lack of a better word. When I focused on having "soft hands," by which I mean a soft grip on the bars and more reliance on core muscles to hold my position, I felt better.

However, I also noticed some knee pain in both knees, on the tops of the fronts of the knees. To be fair, I've had just a bit of this even on the Cypress lately, but it was distinct today on the Trek. I'd rate this knee pain at 2 or 3 on a 10 point scale.

Ride was fun -- I still am fascinated by my increase in speed.

Addendum: I have four hand positions on these bars, and I'll list them in order of my favorite:

1. At the corners, in almost a "handshake" position.

2. On top, in a classic flatbar position.

3. Right on top of the brakes.

4. In the drops.

I'm going to keep dialing and I understand that, at the end of the day, the bike may prove to be just a tad too small for me. (For instance, I'd like to lower the saddle a bit but I doubt that's going to be realistic.).

It's a fun bike, I'll give it that!

Proud member of the original Club Tombay