Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

15 miles on my new saddle

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-07, 02:26 PM
Yen
Surly Girly

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hubby and I went out for a ride this morning. We didn't set out to any place in particular but thought we might stop for bagels for breakfast. So we rode for about 5 miles then stopped there. We ate our breakfast and drank our coffee, and then set out for town. In town, Hubby suggested we ride to the lake, our first time there. Anyway, in all we rode 15 miles today. Our previous "long" ride (3 weeks ago) was 11 miles, so we are making good progress without overdoing it all at once.

This was my first "long" ride on my new saddle. I definitely felt my sit bones which I didn't even noticed on the cushy satin pillow (the previous saddle I just replaced with this one). I chose to make just one change -- the saddle -- for this ride to compare the difference. I didn't have to waste a lot of energy scooting myself back onto the pillow like I did the previous one; I felt comfortable on this saddle, though I did notice my sit bones.

Next time I will wear my liners inside my jeans. Yes, I am still wearing jeans for now because I don't want to rush into a pair of biking shorts or capris or longer pants just yet. Being fair-skinned and my legs haven't seen the light of day for years, I don't want to mess with sunscreen too. (But if anyone can suggest one that covers well, doesn't cake up, and guarantees that I won't come back home with lobster legs, I'll be happy to try it.)

So far, my legs aren't quivering like they were after the 11 mile ride three weeks ago. I'll see how they feel as the day progresses, but I feel pretty terrific right now!

Jen
Old 06-10-07, 02:39 PM

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 700 Times in 436 Posts
Great! I rode in jeans once, but felt like I was pedaling the pants instead of the bike. I don't wear bike specific clothing, but do try to get shorts that don't have seams where I don't want them, and are comfortable when pedaling. If wearing long pants, I found some looser fitting tights I like. We just bought Donna a pair made by Sport Hill (bought online from Campmor) that are nice. And on the sunscreen, we use No-Ad. Seems to work well for us, feels a little greasy at first, but soaks in and doesn't seem to run. We've tried more expensive, but this works well for us (WalMart has it).
Old 06-10-07, 02:41 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
To get the comfort- get away from jeans. If you do not want to expose the legs- Just go and buy a pair of stretchy leggings. We wear them all the winter over here-unless you have cycling specific leggings.

You want he legs to have complete freedom of movement and jeans just will not give that.

On the saddle- It is a new one and you will have to adjust to it and the saddle ajust to you- give it a bit of time.

Edit---those leggings are not male versions either- They only seem to be made for women so perhaps I ought to have a chat with J T's houseboy to see where he gets his.

Spike Milligan
Old 06-10-07, 02:48 PM

Bikes: '71 Raleigh Sports, '84 Schwinn LeTour on the trainer (and available for hill repeats), '06 Scott CR1 SL (Ksyrium SL), and a yet-to-be-determined TT bike.

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Yen, first, congratulations on the longer ride (and I especially like the bagel part)!

Please do get some cycling shorts. This will make a big difference on the saddle. And, a hard saddle does take a little getting used to, but is much better in the end. (Pun intended.)

Try Coppertone Sport. I spray it on, and rub it in, then wash my hands thoroughly. This stuff works and doesn't sweat off easily, and isn't oily or sticky once it dries. (And the smell reminds me of beach trips when I was a kid.) It was recommended to me by one of the SoCal gals on BF, by the way.

Keep us informed on your riding progress! Yay!
Old 06-10-07, 02:53 PM

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 30 Posts
Hey Yen, you did a real good job and that is what most of us do while starting out. By the end of the season don't be surprised if your not doing 30 or 35 miles. If I were you I'd be running to the store to get a good pair of shorts, they will help you a bunch, promise.
Old 06-10-07, 02:56 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
On the shorts agin- Try a cheap pair of cycling specific leggings. They look the part and if you get the unlined ones- you can wear your liner underneath.

Spike Milligan
Old 06-10-07, 03:12 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Congratulations. The right saddle and appropriate bike wear does make a difference riding in comfort. And if you fear getting sunburned on your legs, perhaps you may want to apply some sunscreen before putting on any of the leggings that's been recommended here. I wore a long sleeved shirt with a SPF 15 Dri-logic and was so comfortable despite the 80 + temperature.
Old 06-10-07, 03:44 PM
His Brain is Gone!

Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Congrats! It was only a couple of months ago when I did my first 15 miler in 30+ years. It felt very good. And I've since pushed my longest ride up to 33 miles. Hitting 20 gave me a strong sense of accomplishment. Even though I'm now up to 33, I'm still feeling good about that first 20.

As to pants/shorts. I wore long, lightweight khaki's on my 33 miler. No problem at all. Didn't feel any different than wearing shorts. Had intended to wear regular Columbia shorts on that day but it was a little cooler than expected. These long khaki's are "athletic wear", Champion C9 gear from Target. The material is very thin and loose fitting. No restrictive feeling to them.

Under them I do wear cycling undershorts, to get the padding. Here are examples for women:
https://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?c...20%26%20Tights
https://www.performancebike.com/shop/...slisearch=true

They do help.

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post
Old 06-10-07, 04:00 PM
Yen
Surly Girly

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the congrats, and the tips. I believe I will feel more comfortable (and definitely cooler) in something other than jeans but my jeans don't seem restrictive at all. I already do have a pair of cycling undershorts (which the guy at the LBS referred to as "liners") and I will give those a try next time. Meanwhile I will look into something to wear instead of jeans.... I like the leggings idea. I was planning to get into a little bit better shape before wearing something that gives away all the bumps and bulges though......

So far my legs still do not feel like they are quivering like they did after the 11 mile ride a few weeks ago. It's so encouraging to feel the progress. I have an extremely sedentary job and the only other exercise I've done is almost-daily walks for the past few years. The bike is an additional exercise for cross-training and to get out of the house with Hubby and have some fun. Fun, indeed!

Jen
Old 06-10-07, 04:02 PM
I need more cowbell.

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Sirrus Elite

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Yen
Thanks for the congrats, and the tips. I believe I will feel more comfortable (and definitely cooler) in something other than jeans but my jeans don't seem restrictive at all. I already do have a pair of cycling undershorts (which the guy at the LBS referred to as "liners") and I will give those a try next time. Meanwhile I will look into something to wear instead of jeans.... I like the leggings idea. I was planning to get into a little bit better shape before wearing something that gives away all the bumps and bulges though......

So far my legs still do not feel like they are quivering like they did after the 11 mile ride a few weeks ago. It's so encouraging to feel the progress. I have an extremely sedentary job and the only other exercise I've done is almost-daily walks for the past few years. The bike is an additional exercise for cross-training and to get out of the house with Hubby and have some fun. Fun, indeed!

Jen
Well, you just missed the Bike Naked ride.

Proud member of the original Club Tombay
Old 06-10-07, 04:08 PM
His Brain is Gone!

Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I know what you mean about the quivering muscles in your legs. I did a 12 miler early this spring, where the last 4 miles were on an up incline, 3 miles at rail trail grade and then the last mile of about a 7% grade. It was my first 10+ ride of the year. My legs were quivering so much at the end that I could hardly stand.

But now, just two months later, I do the same ride with relative ease. So keep working at it.

My #1 goal was to get into good enough condition that I could take a 10-15 miles recreational ride, where it was easy enough for me to just cruise along and enjoy the scenery. I am now at that point and loving it.

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post
Old 06-10-07, 04:10 PM
Yen
Surly Girly

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil
But now, just two months later, I do the same ride with relative ease. So keep working at it.

My #1 goal was to get into good enough condition that I could take a 10-15 miles recreational ride, where it was easy enough for me to just cruise along and enjoy the scenery. I am now at that point and loving it.
Good for you, Tom! Yes, it felt great today to just cruise along and enjoy the scenery by the lake and know I'll make it back home. We're going to have to look for new rides the same distance and further to keep this fun and interesting.
Old 06-10-07, 06:27 PM
Don't mince words

Bikes: '16 BH Quartz, 2017 Calfeecustom carbon tandem, Fuji D6 TT bike

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by VegaVixen
Yen, first, congratulations on the longer ride (and I especially like the bagel part)!

Please do get some cycling shorts. This will make a big difference on the saddle. And, a hard saddle does take a little getting used to, but is much better in the end. (Pun intended.)

Try Coppertone Sport. I spray it on, and rub it in, then wash my hands thoroughly. This stuff works and doesn't sweat off easily, and isn't oily or sticky once it dries. (And the smell reminds me of beach trips when I was a kid.) It was recommended to me by one of the SoCal gals on BF, by the way.

Keep us informed on your riding progress! Yay!
To piggyback re sunscreen: Yeah, C-tone works well, and Clin*que spf 25 for the face -- mustn't forget the face!

I ditto all the others who recommend that you get out of the jeans and into some kind of stretchy, forgiving pant...yoga pants are better than jeans.

Congrats on your longer & more enjoyable rides! Glad you're having fun.