Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Easter ride with new friends

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-07, 02:32 AM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

Time to give you a timely reminder for one of the "organised" rides on this Forum. Sorry about reviving an "OLD" posting but it is still appropriate. And I can't change the rules from last year.

Couple of rides for the forum have started over the years

Ride your Age. (Possibly on your birthday but difficult for some)

The 3rd Saturday in septemebr ride.

Let's not forget the Ride Against Paraskevidekatriaphobia, or Fear of Friday the 13th. (Copied from DG's post) as I dare not spell it.

Ride a century sometime (Metric first and then 100 miles)

And a couple I did not think were Going to run but have

New years day ride to clear the cobwebs and An Easter ride to get someone new riding.

It is coming up for Easter so It is time to think about it.

Idea is to take a ride sometime over the Easter break with a newcomer that does not ride often or does not ride. Whether this be a neighbour, friend or work colleague it does not matter. Just get someone out on one of your short rides, just so you don't scare them off, and show them how good a bike ride can be.

Last year I tried to get some of my neighbours out and despite all the promises from them- It finished up being one 11 year old lad that wore me and my wallet out. Only 5 miles to a cafe and I bought him breakfast- and a cake- and biscuits and any thing else that was on the menu. Then 5 miles back and that was when I found another neighbour had been shamed into taking his daughters out- "Cos Doug took Christopher out on the organised ride and we are not going".

So the idea is to work out a short ride and encourage someone new to come with you. You might want to introduce someone new to your group for your usual 30 miles offroad in the mud (If he is fit and young and you know he can do it) or just get a couple of your neighbours out to a local cafe for a coffee and pie. Just face it- for most people a 5 mile out and 5 mile back trip will be enough for them, or even too much.

Time will be over the easter holiday, and no set day or time. We'll leave that up to your local daylight and weather conditions.

I'll warn you now- It will be difficult. Despite all the promises that will be made most people will not be joining you. You will have to start on them now to get them committed to ride.

Spike Milligan

Last edited by stapfam; 02-26-08 at 01:46 PM.
Old 02-05-07, 08:04 PM

Bikes: Trek Madone 5.2, State Bicycles FG, Marinoni Sprint

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
O.K. I'll ask. So, when is Easter this year?
Old 02-07-07, 03:48 PM
Time for a change.

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Sorry I did not come back quicker but April 6th is the Friday and 9th the Monday. Plenty of days to get someone to ride but you have to work Hard.

Spike Milligan
Old 02-07-07, 05:43 PM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
You get an Easter break?
Old 02-08-07, 04:48 AM
Time for a change.

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by BluesDawg
You get an Easter break?
Yea- Aren't we lucky? 4 days off when the weather is so variable that you don't plan anything till you wake up in the morning. Of each individual day.
Then again we don't have thankgiving- Pentecost (As they have in France) or several other Bank Holidays as we call them over here.

Spike Milligan
Old 02-20-07, 04:51 PM
Time for a change.

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Shrove Tuesday and I hope you all enjoyed the pancakes.

40 days till Easter so just a reminder to start twisting the arms of your meughbours or start bribing them to come for a ride.

Spike Milligan
Old 02-20-07, 05:22 PM
I need more cowbell.

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Sirrus Elite

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Let's not forget the Ride Against Paraskevidekatriaphobia, or Fear of Friday the 13th.

This happens a couple of times a year. The idea is ride some interval of thirteen miles.

Proud member of the original Club Tombay
Old 02-20-07, 05:43 PM

Bikes: 1984 Peugeot P8; 2006 Trek 5200

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just finished our pancakes stapfam and yes, they were great!!
Now it's no coffee for Lent
Old 03-15-07, 04:23 PM
Time for a change.

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
11th June to accompany JPPE while he is on his Century ride

Any friday the 13th. and DG can tell us what its called again. Ride for 13 miles or multiples of.

Just a couple to add to the list

Reminder for the easter ride again. You will have to start bribing- blackmailing to get others to join you so start work on neighbours- friends- Relations- Or any one else you don't like- to join you on A bike ride over easter. Not long to go now.

Spike Milligan

Last edited by stapfam; 03-16-07 at 12:06 AM.
Old 03-15-07, 04:29 PM

Bikes: Used Marin MTB, New 6/06 Scott Contessa Speedster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I missed this thread the first time, but I'm on board now! There are several people who keep saying they want to ride, this is a good excuse to really push it and see how many I can get. I'm going to try for 6, that is about 50% of the people who keep saying they want to go. This is a great idea! Having Fri and Mon off would make this all easier though!
Old 04-01-07, 12:59 PM
Time for a change.

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
One week to go. So get someone committed for the easter ride.

I have several friends in the road where I live and we are often helping each other out.

First call was for me to look at one of my neighbours canaries (The yellow feathered bird that tweets all day long). I used to show Finch's and This bird had a broken claw- Have you ever tried to console an 18 year old Girl when her pet is about to lose part of its foot.

Second was The computers gone wrong so can Ross-my daughters partner who is an IT programmer- look at it- so the whole family went round to have a beer or so. Then another neighbour came round to ask Ross about a web page he is writing.

While were all there- I mentioned about next weeks Bike ride. Never been ejected from a house so quick in my life.

Do have a new rider coming to stay next week- He wants to try out Tandem riding so we will get a ride in down to my favourite Cafe for a coffee and pie. He has a bit of distance to come so it may work out to a longer ride than he wants so soon after his journey but at least I'll have one new rider out on the trails next week.

Spike Milligan
Old 04-07-07, 10:37 AM
Time for a change.

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
O.K. Easter saturday andf one of my customers turned up for a Ride. He will be doing a 40 miler with me at the end of April and I will be doing one of his rides in September. 9 am and he turned up and it was time to sort the bike for him. I had changed the pedals last night to platforms and we were ready, Beautiful warm morning so it was short sleeve and pertex.

Mount up and away after a bit of instruction to him and we wobbled off down the road. Yep- He was on the back of the Tandem. First mile was a bit hairy until we got on the MUP and then I could relax and start telling him how to ride. 2 miles later and we were fine.

Main reason for him coming down was to get him to my LBS to look at bikes. He wanted something to replace his 10 year old MTB. He got it. A Giant FCR 3. Link below but this is the UK version- different to the US one

https://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-GB/bikes/road/125/

They had just unpacked the shipment and sorted the Size and roughly built it up for him. He picks it up next week.

Down for coffee and a bun but he has to be educated- He had a cake instead of pie.

Took the scenic route back through the harbour and country lanes and he finally got riding a Tandem.Still have a bit of saddle sorting to do- but contrary to what he thought- He can climb hills and he can go over 20mph on the flat.
Still have a couple of people to ride with but they will not be happy on the Tandem so It is going to be on solos. They both have MTB's so I wonder if the Mud is still in the Forest?

No pics- sorry, but Bit awkward to take pics on the Tandem when it is wobbling and shaking so much.

Spike Milligan
Old 04-07-07, 07:18 PM
following breeze

Bikes: Trek 1500, Schwin Caliente,

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Tomorrow is Easter and we are in the middle of a major blizzard. Was out on the road last Tuesday. Im in Michigan....that should tell you something..Make no plans until the middle of May.
Old 02-26-08, 01:48 PM
Time for a change.

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Just a reminder for the Older members and time for the rest of us to get someone new riding.

Spike Milligan