Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Adjustable quill stem

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Adjustable quill stem

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-08, 07:47 PM
Yen
Surly Girly

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Adjustable quill stem

I'm posting this here because I think it may be of more interest to the 50+ forum.

Hubby is looking for an adjustable quill stem for his '72 Schwinn Sport Tourer. This bike is super comfortable but he'd like to raise the bars just a bit to reduce strain on his shoulders. He found a Zoom Quick Comfort 25.4 80-105 deg Silver Mtn 1" quill. I promised I'd ask if anyone here has any suggestions for him. It would be nice to preserve the character of the bike which is still original except for the new spokes and saddle.

BTW, he's the original owner. He stopped riding for years and kept saying he wanted to get his bike down and fix it up to ride. Early last year (2007) he replaced the spokes, and started riding. At that time, it was our only bike. And that's what started this craziness!

Old 09-29-08, 08:07 PM
Ride Daddy Ride

Bikes: 1983 Trek 720; 1983 Trek 620; 1989 Gi Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra; LeMond Victoire; Bike Friday Pocket Rocket Pro

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Cool bike. Check these out. They should fit (You might have to scroll down to find the stems on this page)

https://www.sheldonbrown.com/harris/opc.html#stem
Old 09-29-08, 09:00 PM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by Jet Travis
Cool bike. Check these out. They should fit (You might have to scroll down to find the stems on this page)

https://www.sheldonbrown.com/harris/opc.html#stem
Better measure the stem on that bike. I would think it would be the standard 22.2 diameter in which case you'll want the excellent Nitto Technomic stem.

I would definitely go with a taller quill instead of an adjustable stem.
Old 09-29-08, 09:03 PM
His Brain is Gone!

Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Believe it or not, I own two adjustable quills. Picked them up for $1 each at a swap meet in case I got a road bike and wanted to play with it. They are very heavy suckers.

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post
Old 09-29-08, 09:22 PM

Bikes: 1997 Specialized M2Pro

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have an adjustable stem on mine, but I just got a Nitto Technomic on EBay that I am going to replace it with. The reason: it has started to come loose once or twice, so I feel that I can't depend on it. I have to admit, I also prefer the look of a standard stem.

The advantage of the adjustable is that you have full control over both the height and the extension (fore/aft position) of your handlebars.

You can get a technomic that can let you make the handlebars very high, but once you choose one, you cannot vary the extension.

Last edited by TromboneAl; 09-29-08 at 09:26 PM.
Old 09-29-08, 09:35 PM
Bike Junkie

Location: South of Raleigh, North of New Hill, East of Harris Lake, NC

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Specialized Roubaix, Giant OCR-C, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, Stumpjumper Comp, 88 & 92Nishiki Ariel, 87 Centurion Ironman, 92 Paramount, 84 Nishiki Medalist

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 27 Posts
The options listed above are all good. Performance has some other options including a Profile conversion post that converts a 1" threaded steerer to 1 1/8 inch threadless steerer then you can fit a regular modern stem with high rise.
It looks like this when complete:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Bianchi Campione 004.jpg (69.9 KB, 34 views)
Old 09-30-08, 07:38 PM
Yen
Surly Girly

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you! He chose the Nitto Technomic.