Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Low Blood Pressure?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Low Blood Pressure?

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-09, 11:46 PM
Gios

Bikes: Pinarello Rokh, Look 586, Merckx Corsa 01

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Low Blood Pressure?

Hi all

Seem to be developing a bit of a "condition" with low blood pressure. Have always been on the low side, always told it was good, but in the last few years have had a couple of episodes when I'm getting a bit off the low scale, even for me. General lethargy, fatigue, low-level headaches etc. etc. Ironically enough, while when I'm like this I hardly want to move off the couch/bed, if I can get onto my bike, I can ride OK.

Wondering if anyone here has any experience of this, and what they do about it? My doc has me on licorice tea, beetroot juice and when it gets really bad, salty food (chips etc.). Any other suggestions .. yet alone suggestions on where it's coming from?

Thanks.

B
Old 05-25-09, 05:14 AM
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts
Originally Posted by bing181
Hi all

Seem to be developing a bit of a "condition" with low blood pressure. Have always been on the low side, always told it was good, but in the last few years have had a couple of episodes when I'm getting a bit off the low scale, even for me. General lethargy, fatigue, low-level headaches etc. etc. Ironically enough, while when I'm like this I hardly want to move off the couch/bed, if I can get onto my bike, I can ride OK.

Wondering if anyone here has any experience of this, and what they do about it? My doc has me on licorice tea, beetroot juice and when it gets really bad, salty food (chips etc.). Any other suggestions .. yet alone suggestions on where it's coming from?

Thanks.

B
Yes, I have this issue also. I'll become faint but never pass out. It is more of a problem after exercise. It often happens when I stand after relaxing in a chair for 20 minutes or more. I might have to lean against the wall to keep from falling. This condition is most pronounced in warm weather and if I'm losing weight.

My Doctor was not that helpful. We were able to duplicate a drop in blood pressure in the doctor’s office. He suggested salt tablets and/or electrolytes drink like Gatorade.

I'm in better shape now. I have a stronger base from riding 500 miles/month. Most people need to cut down on salt, I add it to food whenever possible.

Michael
When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.

Last edited by Barrettscv; 05-26-09 at 09:03 PM.
Old 05-25-09, 05:26 AM
Knocking off the rust

Bikes: LeMond Tourmalet, Specialized Tarmac

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Similar to Barrett, I deal with the post-ride low BP issues by anticipating the light headedness. I have no medical background, but my assumption has always been that after a long/hard ride, the capillaries and arteries are fully opened up and the blood is warmer/thinner, so when I stand up there is less fluid resistance and the blood simply runs away from my head faster. Several hours later I am back to normal.

If it became an issue at other times, like first thing in the morning or not after a ride, I would probably see a doctor and try to do something about it. My BP tends to run to the low normal end of the range, maybe ~ 108/58, so the riding just aggravates the situation.

What are your BP numbers? Do you have access to a BP machine where you can check it over several days to see where it is running?
Old 05-25-09, 05:38 AM

Bikes: derosa, bianchi, fuji, panasonic, jamis

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have it too. The only thing I can add that my cardiologist said to be careful to avoid getting dehydrated as this makes the problem worse.
Old 05-25-09, 08:43 AM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
Much preferable to hypertension.

Rule of thumb for 'low normotension': As long as you don't pass out when you stand up, it's not a problem.
Old 05-25-09, 09:33 PM
Wheezing Geezer

Bikes: Bacchetta Corsa, RANS Stratus XP

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Same here. The main thing I've learned is to not get dehydrated. Dehydration causes low blood volume which makes low blood pressure worse.
Old 05-26-09, 01:26 PM
Gios

Bikes: Pinarello Rokh, Look 586, Merckx Corsa 01

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks all .. will maybe grab myself one of those home BP testers so i at least can follow what's going on.

B
Old 05-26-09, 01:33 PM
Spin Meister

Bikes: Trek Émonda, 1961 Follis (French) road bike (I'm the original owner), a fixie, a mountain bike, etc.

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 16 Posts
Hmmm.........I occasionally have this problem, too - usually after sitting. I'm definitely thinking dehydration could be part of the culprit. Then again, I'm ON low blood pressure medication, due to a heart attack some months back.

My blood pressure was already quite low, but my cardiologist tells me that statistically I have a better chance of not having another heart attack if I stay on the medication.

So, for now, I'm sticking with the program. I'm going to make sure I'm drinking more, before and after riding my bike.
Old 05-26-09, 02:25 PM
www.ocrebels.com

Bikes: Several bikes, Road, Mountain, Commute, etc.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
This is interesting. I have low blood pressure, but I never thought it could be dangerous! After a long ride (probably a bit dehydrated), if I stand up too quickly, I get dizzy . . . only once or twice actually passed out . . even then I came around rather quickly.

Scary stuff. Who knew? Well, obviously, you all did!

Rick / OCRR
Old 05-26-09, 08:22 PM
Wheezing Geezer

Bikes: Bacchetta Corsa, RANS Stratus XP

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Low blood pressure, as long as it's not severe, is actually a good problem to have. The low blood pressure of my youth had changed to slightly high blood pressure until I started riding. Now it's usually a little low, but especially after a hard ride in the summer time. I've gone to doctors appointments a couple of times after a ride, and they look at you a bit funny when your blood pressure checks as 101/61.
Old 05-27-09, 07:39 PM

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I've always had low BP and also "orthostatic hypotension" (lightheaded upon standing due to a drop in BP). The symptom is that things go black and I can't see for about a second or two, though I've never passed out. All I need to do is 1) stand still (so I don't walk into something!) and 2) flex my calves to force the blood upwards. That seems do the trick for me everytime.

I didn't know that about dehydration - thanks for that info.
Old 05-29-09, 09:51 AM
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1393 Post(s)
Liked 1,325 Times in 837 Posts
Originally Posted by Bud Bent
Low blood pressure, as long as it's not severe, is actually a good problem to have. ... I've gone to doctors appointments a couple of times after a ride, and they look at you a bit funny when your blood pressure checks as 101/61.
Something like 105/60 is probably near-ideal, but doctors are too accustomed to dealing a marginally sick population.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 05-30-09, 10:19 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bud Bent
Low blood pressure, as long as it's not severe, is actually a good problem to have. ...I've gone to doctors appointments a couple of times after a ride, and they look at you a bit funny when your blood pressure checks as 101/61.
Mine runs a little high if I don't watch it closely, but my wife's has been in the 105/60 range for years. Even in her late 50s, she never comes close to "normal" BP. In general her docs love that, because it reduces the chance of a lot of late-life complications, but she does occasionally feel light-headed if she stands up suddenly, like after a movie or on an airplane. She's learned to anticipate that and compensates, for instance by rising slowly and holding onto the seat in front of her for a few seconds until she stabilizes. At least in her case, it rarely takes more than three or four seconds.