Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

OK You OLD FARTS, Whattsit Like To Be 50??

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

OK You OLD FARTS, Whattsit Like To Be 50??

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-09, 10:59 PM
Señor Member

Bikes: Mostly English - predominantly Raleighs

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1492 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 642 Posts
Originally Posted by DnvrFox
Hey mods.

Why is it OK for someone to casually troll through various forums and drop bombs and strafe at the forum, and then leave and go somewhere else to do the same thing?
What do you suggest I do? Seems like y'all took care of it pretty well.
Old 06-23-09, 03:43 AM
Banned.

Bikes: Lemond Chambery/Cannondale R-900/Trek 8000 MTB/Burley Duet tandem

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Oh my Gosh I'm not allowed to visit THE PRIVATE 50+ ONLY forum cause I'm not 50? That makes me a troll?

But Denver Fox can post in the SoCal forum as he pleases? Next time he posts in SoCal, I too will get my chamois in a bunch!

So having ridden with some excellent butt kicker riders over 50 like BigJohn and OCRRick, I post a question with a little humor figuring a this age, the posters ought to be old enough and mature enough to handle it. Some good witty responses but then there's always the guy that's on the sensitive side!...So I'm a troll? Pffft!

Tell you what! I will track down the guy that created the hats and t-shirts that say "Old Fart". Those of you that feel offended can sue his pants off!

Last edited by Mr. Beanz; 06-23-09 at 04:33 AM.
Old 06-23-09, 04:26 AM
Banned.

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by big john
Rode with a few other 50+ riders on Saturday including scvroadie, vertical bob, Rick@OCRR, and valleygirl. It was a great, fun ride with no macho posing or 'tactics' or any of the crap that happens with younger guys. 8500 feet of climbing in 75 miles. C'mon up, Beanz.
Last time I rode with you I was 249 lbs. Now down to 228. Give me another 8 lbs in a month or two, I'll go ride with you guys! 220 will be nice!

I did mtn climbs the last 12 weeks in row. Then Ride Around the Bear last weekend (9000 ft in 62 miles). So Saturday I was more than happy to stay on the flatland!....Back to GMR next weekend.

What is macho posing or tactics mean?

Is this posing?...if so, I was posing at mile 85

BTW, I first did this ride when I tunred 40. This was my 4th time. In 4 years I would like to do it again when I turn 50 since it's around my birthday. Hence the question "what's it like to be 50?" and asking about cycling at 50. OK, now back to trolling!

Last edited by Mr. Beanz; 06-23-09 at 04:36 AM.
Old 06-23-09, 05:08 AM
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. Beanz
Oh my Gosh I'm not allowed to visit THE PRIVATE 50+ ONLY forum cause I'm not 50? That makes me a troll?

But Denver Fox can post in the SoCal forum as he pleases? Next time he posts in SoCal, I too will get my chamois in a bunch!
Here is my only post on the SoCal Forum:

https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...12#post8588012

WOW!! I was asking about a trail in So Cal. It was done respectfully and appropriately. I h ave relatives in SOCal, grew up there, taught school there, and spend time there. I have lunched with SoCal riders in SoCal. I was asking about a trail because I was visiting the area.

We have lots and lots of folks - some in their 30's and many in their 40's posting happily on the 50+ forum.
Old 06-23-09, 08:53 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Some people are sure sensitive about being questioned,aren't they?Imagine what they'll be like when they're old.

Last edited by overthehillmedi; 06-23-09 at 10:20 AM. Reason: grammer
Old 06-23-09, 09:56 AM
gone ride'n

Bikes: Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by overthehillmedi
Some people are sure sensitive about being question,aren't they?Imagine what they'll be like when they're old.
They will probably get all huffy when after giving some poor youngster advice on fitness or equipment they get flipped off.
Old 06-23-09, 11:18 AM
Banned.

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by cyclinfool
They will probably get all huffy when after giving some poor youngster advice on fitness or equipment they get flipped off.

Like I'd really give the bird to some grumpy old dude that couldn't see it anyway
Old 06-23-09, 12:10 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8287 Post(s)
Liked 9,061 Times in 4,483 Posts
Last time I rode with you I was 249 lbs. Now down to 228. Give me another 8 lbs in a month or two, I'll go ride with you guys! 220 will be nice!

I did mtn climbs the last 12 weeks in row. Then Ride Around the Bear last weekend (9000 ft in 62 miles). So Saturday I was more than happy to stay on the flatland!....Back to GMR next weekend.

What is macho posing or tactics mean?
I'm sure you'll do fine. We always regroup after the climbs and we never leave anyone alone in the mountains.

Macho posing and tactics is when idiots treat a club ride like a race and take chances and risk everyone else's safety to try and "win" the ride.
Old 06-23-09, 12:20 PM
Banned.

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by big john
I'm sure you'll do fine. We always regroup after the climbs and we never leave anyone alone in the mountains.

Macho posing and tactics is when idiots treat a club ride like a race and take chances and risk everyone else's safety to try and "win" the ride.

Ahh, like when JustMe, Grrlyrida and I were training for the Bear!...Regroup, Good cause that Vallygirl is a buttkicker!
Old 06-23-09, 01:16 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8287 Post(s)
Liked 9,061 Times in 4,483 Posts
cause that Vallygirl is a buttkicker!
Yes, she is. This was her first longish ride since breaking her collarbone a couple months back and she did fine. She'll be dropping a lot of younger guys when she turns 60!
Old 06-23-09, 01:37 PM

Bikes: EZ Sport AX- Specialized Expedition Plus eight others for wife and others that come down

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well 50 was crappy as I still had to work a real job for a living.But 55 was great now 64 play bass guitar for a rocknroll band and do a ride of 20 to 60 miles 3 to 6 days a week.You can`t beat that and still get a check every payday.
Old 06-23-09, 02:15 PM
Banned.

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by wink
Well 50 was crappy as I still had to work a real job for a living.But 55 was great now 64 play bass guitar for a rocknroll band and do a ride of 20 to 60 miles 3 to 6 days a week.You can`t beat that and still get a check every payday.

I'm ready to get old man, take me take me!
Old 06-23-09, 03:39 PM
www.ocrebels.com

Bikes: Several bikes, Road, Mountain, Commute, etc.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
I'm ready to get old man, take me, take me!
Big John is right Beanz,

You should expand your cycling horizons beyond the SART and GMR/GRR. Ride the Angeles Crest with us sometime!

Vertical Bob is a great guide to the area, and even though Valleygirl is a super fast climber, she does wait for us at the top of the climbs. Lovely area, and lots more trees than GMR/GRR.

Rick / OCRR
Old 06-23-09, 05:39 PM
ALL SEASON MTB COMMUTER

Location: Newburgh Hts, Oh/ 5 big steps south of downtown Cleveland

Bikes: FUJI/GT/IRONHORSE/MONGOOSE/MURRY/ a bike for all seasons and weather and yes I've tried to ride all of them at once. OUCHHH!!!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
older and wiser

52 yrs old here. I sold my car in 2007 and have been biking it since. Cleveland, Oh. area. 4 season rider with all the stuff to make my commute to work and shopping and just having fun. winter, spring, summer, or fall, I ride it all.( sounds like an old song I know!!!!) Anyways, I try to keep in shape with jogging and lite weight lifting. So far I can ride with the best of them, sometimes a little slower.( My 26in MTB vs and road bike.) I still go mountain biking on the dirt trails around town. SOOOOOOOOOOO get out and bike.... Ride Safe....Paul
Old 06-24-09, 03:31 PM

Bikes: Litespeed Classic, Lynskey

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
56 here and going strong. Being retired I have lots of time to ride.
Old 06-24-09, 10:25 PM
Don't mince words

Bikes: '16 BH Quartz, 2017 Calfeecustom carbon tandem, Fuji D6 TT bike

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Like I'd really give the bird to some grumpy old dude that couldn't see it anyway
A comment like that=flirting with danger. I see the emoticon and think, look out, kid, we'll kick your butt anytime...and smile at you while we dust you.

Besides, it's the close vision that gives out, not the distance vision. Just wait.
Old 06-25-09, 01:29 PM

Bikes: Sam, The Hunq and that Old Guy, Soma Buena Vista, Giant Talon 2, Brompton

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 48 Posts
I'm a 57 year old, can't say I remember what fifty was like, I was too busy keeping my nine year old son in line. I guess I'm a Clyde, I'm 6' and weight fluctuates between 225 and 210 on a seasonal basis. I still ride between 3-5000 miles a year, just as I have since I was 20, don't feel any different than when I was 25.
As Joe Weider said:"You don't deteriorate from age...you age from deterioration."
Here's a photo from last August.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_0272.jpg (97.0 KB, 18 views)
Old 06-27-09, 01:52 PM
Older "newbie"

Bikes: Fuji Newest 4.0 just bought 7/26/08!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well for me, about mid 40's my body started letting me know I was getting older. The eyes started going (I'm far sighted now), I have arthritis in my upper and lower spine. Got a skin yamaka on top of my head. Cholesterol has me on Lipitor, I take Lexapro for anxiety/panic attacks.

Other then that it's just great!
Old 06-27-09, 03:17 PM
Banned.

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Yeah, I'm gonna be that buff 57 yo guy too!...Cycling is fun but being a well built old farrrrrr, errr I mean well built old guy will be more important. When I'm in the senior center that is!
Old 06-27-09, 05:57 PM

Bikes: Bridgestone RB-1. Nicely restored

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
I ride a fixed gear most of the time. I've been riding it for eight years now. I was told from day one that "You'll blow your knees out!!" and thus far, it hasn't happened.

One of the things I like about being over 50, is that I'm well beyond the "I gotta impress the cool kids" demographic. So, my fixie has brakes on both wheels. The cool kids don't like it? Damn, that's just too bad, isn't it. (and I still don't get this business of brakeless fixies on the road, for the purpose of making a political statement, but as I mentioned, I'm just not in that demographic. )

I feel I'm riding better and stronger now, than when I was in my 20's or 30's. I suppose that could be because I have much more experience now.

Oh yeah, I can afford stuff I want to buy.

I have no idea where these "rules" come from, that say that when you're over a certain age, you're required to spend your free time sitting in front of the tv, drinking beer and watching commercial sports.
Old 06-27-09, 06:30 PM
Older "newbie"

Bikes: Fuji Newest 4.0 just bought 7/26/08!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by trackhub
I ride a fixed gear most of the time. I've been riding it for eight years now. I was told from day one that "You'll blow your knees out!!" and thus far, it hasn't happened.

I think I am more likely to have a friggin' heart attack! The climbs are killing me! I just got back into biking at 51 last fall and didn't ride all winter.
Old 06-27-09, 10:48 PM

Bikes: 2008 Motobecane Immortal Spirit, Motobecane HAL6 Expert & Fantom 29er

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm 51 6-0, 195 and still schooling the 35 year olds at down at the hockey rink. The only problem, life has other things to take you away from the time you need to train to keep up the fitness level. But if you can stay w/ your sport, you will always be able to improve to the threshold of pain, wherever that may be. Me? my pain is in the lower back, neck and left shoulder when on the bike due to staying in one position too long. That's the problem w/ getting old- your joints start giving you trouble and the pain threshold limits the muscles' ability to go all out. Sure, you lose some stamina due to aging, but unless you're trying to be a pro athlete, you'll be able to maintain strength up to the point where the joints start screaming. Also, spend plenty of time STRETCHING!!!!.
Old 06-28-09, 04:55 AM

Bikes: Sam, The Hunq and that Old Guy, Soma Buena Vista, Giant Talon 2, Brompton

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 48 Posts
Yeah, I'm gonna be that buff 57 yo guy too!...Cycling is fun but being a well built old farrrrrr, errr I mean well built old guy will be more important. When I'm in the senior center that is!
About 7 years ago I got back into the financial planning field and life insurance companies were writing policies to age 100. Now they are writing them to age 120 and beyond. I guess 50 is the new 30. At 57 I am approaching the threshold of middle-age. Great chance to enjoy my mid-life crisis!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_0272.jpg (97.0 KB, 2 views)
Old 06-28-09, 05:15 AM
n00b

Bikes: 1972 & 1973 Webco 10 speeds, 1992 Trek jazz latitude, 2006 Dynacraft verticle vfx3 (Wrecked Rear Suspension 08-08-09), Schwinn S-25, 09-10-09 Specialized P.3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
For the last 20 years since I was 31 I wondered if I would even be able to get out of bed at 50 much less on a bike, so I just never allowed myself to stop riding in the in between parts, now at 51, 5'11" 175 lbs, I'm still out there crashing my bike, tearing muscles and the only time it don't hurt is... Wouldn't ya know it??? When I'm riding my bike. I know there has got to be an equation for this but my grammar really sucks. Like now, 4 am here in Southern Oregon and the batteries are still charging so there just isn't much to do but sit here and grump cuz I still have to wait another 45 minutes or so before I get to go out and ride another day!!!
Old 07-11-09, 05:53 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 25 Posts
What's 50 like?
I don't remember. I'm 54.

A few years ago, bike commuting 140 miles/week. I arrive home, when my wife relates a conversation she just had with our 20 year old neighbor. He just cannot believe that an "old man" can ride a bike that far every day.

Stupid kids!

Jeff, still fat

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.