Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Gall Bladder surgery

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Gall Bladder surgery

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-09, 08:58 AM

Bikes: Trek Domane 4.5, Trek 1500

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Gall Bladder surgery

I had laparoscopic gall bladder surgury on July 15. It was pretty hard to walk for a couple of days, but I did start 2 mile and 3 mile walks on Jul 23. If I get one more ok from the doctor, I think I can start some easy spins this week. For any of you who has had this surgery, how long did it take before you were back on the bike?
Old 07-27-09, 10:17 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Glad you're feeling better.

I can't answer your question, but I'll add that Gall Bladder Surgury has come a long way since my wife had hers in '87. She was in the hospital for five days after the operation which was the norm way back in those olden days, and she was hurtin' for well over six weeks.

Medicine has certainly come a long way. Heal well and keep us posted.
Old 07-27-09, 11:53 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You should be careful. I didn't do any biking after surgery (now four years ago) but lots of walking. About six months after, I developed a hernia right where one of the incisions were. Still have it.
Old 07-29-09, 04:37 PM
cycling fanatic

Bikes: Cannondale T800

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I had my laparoscopic gall bladder surgery Feb 6, 2006 and didn't get on the bike for 2 1/2 weeks. But it was February so that means nothing in my climate. The only concern about cycling is falling or contorting your body so that an incision might open up. My recollection is that I was told to avoid bicycling for a week or two, but not longer.
Old 07-29-09, 08:48 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I was lucky to have had mine done in December. However, instead of going home the next day, everything that could've gone wrong, did go wrong and I was in the hospital for 10 days. Exhausted for a month, but by the time spring rolled around I was ready to ride again. Good luck, and don't overdo it too soon!
Old 07-31-09, 09:25 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I had two easy 12 mile rides yesterday and today, and may ride an easy 20-30 tomorrow morning. The surgeon did say I could ride easy last weekend, but I gave myself 4 more days. I plan easy rides for another week or so, then will start working back into more normal rides. He also told me not to lift more than 30 lbs or so for 6 weeks, so , that puts me in that time frame as well.
Old 07-31-09, 02:08 PM
Banned.

Bikes: Lapierre CF Sensium 400. Jamis Ventura Sport. Trek 800. Giant Cypress.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
three to six weeks depending on your recovery rate. Three weeks for a friend of mine six weeks for me. I could ride earlier but not with the group.
Old 07-31-09, 02:20 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I saw the surgeon for a followup 1 week after the procedure, and he had said I could start easy the following weekend, which would have bee 12 days. I waited a few more days after that. I will definitely take it easy for the next week or 2, then see where I am at.
Old 07-31-09, 09:40 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm in the normal range, apparently. I don't remember the exact schedule, but I sauntered for half an hour two days after surgery, was walking normally within four or five days (soon as the CO2 absorbed) and felt like I could have ridden within a week or 10 days. The surgeon asked (but didn't insist) that I wait to ride until the stitches came out, so I did, but I forget how long that was.
FWIW, my surgeon was a paunchy guy who seemed uncomfortable with the idea that a 60-year-old man was eager to get back to exercising. My impression was that most GB patients are sort of fat and idle.
Old 08-01-09, 06:54 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by professorbob
I was lucky to have had mine done in December. However, instead of going home the next day, everything that could've gone wrong, did go wrong and I was in the hospital for 10 days. Exhausted for a month, but by the time spring rolled around I was ready to ride again. Good luck, and don't overdo it too soon!

Pretty much the same with me. They had told me about how simple & easy it was going to be. " You'll be eating anything you want next week ," they said. I KNEW something was wrong when I woke up in intensive care. It was 6 months before the Dr. finally released me.