Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Muscle bike design spec robtown's Avatar
    My Bikes
    98 Giant CFR-TEAM, 00 Lemond, 08 Kestrel Evoke, 96 Colnago Master Olympic, 01 Colnago Ovalmaster, Raleigh Gran Sport, 03 Fuji World, 86 Paramount, 90 Miyata CF, 09 Ritchey Breakaway CX, Bianchi Trofeo, 12 HyperLite
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

N+1 Blue, Steel, and Chrome

1985 Cilo with Shimano 600. I love chrome forks. I paid a bit too much for a (profitable) flipper and she's my size. What to do...

A matching front wheel, clean, tune, silver tape, and moving the shifters to bar ends is the current plan - followed by a few rides.

Korval is Ships
    See my Hyperlite 411 it's the photo model on OutRiderUSA web page

'47
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How hard is it to find Benotto tape these days? I recall when the LBS always had a fishbowl full of rainbow colors. I like the ice blue dignified paint scheme....none of that killer whale, NASCAR flash too popular today. Factory drilled out non aero levers, gum hoods...very sweet. MA-40 rims?

My Bikes
    98 Giant CFR-TEAM, 00 Lemond, 08 Kestrel Evoke, 96 Colnago Master Olympic, 01 Colnago Ovalmaster, Raleigh Gran Sport, 03 Fuji World, 86 Paramount, 90 Miyata CF, 09 Ritchey Breakaway CX, Bianchi Trofeo, 12 HyperLite
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by '47 View Post
    How hard is it to find Benotto tape these days? I recall when the LBS always had a fishbowl full of rainbow colors. I like the ice blue dignified paint scheme....none of that killer whale, NASCAR flash too popular today. Factory drilled out non aero levers, gum hoods...very sweet. MA-40 rims?
    I'm a pushover for that blue color and chrome fork. I do have a silver saddle, silver tape, and silver sidewall 700c tires to match. The original front wheel has Mavic Monthery Route tubular rims. The rear is Sun CR18. I ordered an Alex 25mm silver front wheel (hope it's matte, didn't check carefully). Glue-on / sew-ups aren't my style.
    Korval is Ships

My Bikes
    1988 Peugeot PY-10P Frankenbike, 1994 Diamond Back Response Elite MTB. 1964 Schwinn Typhoon. 1977 Peugeot PRN10E.
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice bike.
    1988 Peugeot PY-10/P Frankenbike, 1994 Diamondback "Response Elite" MTB, 2002 Performance M201 MTB and a 1983 SR road bike that has become my favorite ride. At least for now.

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sweet!

Benotto tape.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

My Bikes
    Trice Q; Volae Century; TT 3.4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Beautiful. How would Benotto brown tape look with those hoods?
    George
    Laissez les bon temps rouler

My Bikes
    2009 Chris Boedeker custom, 1988 Tommasini Prestige, 2007 Bill Davidson custom, 1985 Univega Gran Turismo; 1988 Specialized Stumpjumper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice bike. Does this mean your two-week-old Pedal Force needs a new owner???

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh yeah! Very nice bike.

My Bikes
    Cannondale Six Carbon 5 and Gary Fisher Wahoo
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by '47 View Post
    Factory drilled out non aero levers, gum hoods...very sweet.
    Agreed.

Rob......nice looking bike.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BengeBoy View Post
    Nice bike. Does this mean your two-week-old Pedal Force needs a new owner???
    I'm considering ownership shares. The carbon ninja would remain garaged at my residence.

It's a disease, I still have my 3 speed to build up (lack of SA knowledge). I also have a mango yellow Kestrel carbon frame (with all silver components, saddle, tires) and a red/white Scattante to build. Their sale will recycle some parts expenses into liquid bike funds. The Scattante is my size so I'll have to test ride a few times. I found Scattante is a decent ride.
    I think the Cilo may earn a place in the stable once I get her back in form. She may do some loan / rent duty to earn her keep.
    Korval is Ships

My Bikes
    Bottecchia Sprint
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    variety is the spice of life
    cycling is like baseball ~ it doesn't take much to make it interesting

My Bikes
    Leader home built hardtail, Diamondback Response
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I would be very tempted to keep that one.

My Bikes
    2009 Chris Boedeker custom, 1988 Tommasini Prestige, 2007 Bill Davidson custom, 1985 Univega Gran Turismo; 1988 Specialized Stumpjumper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by robtown View Post
    I'm considering ownership shares. The carbon ninja would remain garaged at my residence.=
    Sounds like you could be the Bernard Madoff of bicycles. You could sell off 400% to 500% of each bicycle, but keep it in your garage. The more bikes you own, the more you have to sell...
    Last edited by BengeBoy; 03-24-10 at 01:48 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Beuuuutiful!! Love the drilled levers, and clean lines.

Do you ride with that much saddle tilt?

My Bikes
    Several, mostly not name brands.
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Blue, steel, and chrome -- always a winner!

My Bikes
    confidential infromation that I don't even share with my wife
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gorgeous bike! Do inlcude the bottle cages on your list to change or improve.
    oldschool areodynamic brick

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Allegheny Jet View Post
    Gorgeous bike! Do inlcude the bottle cages on your list to change or improve.
    I have a replacement one in stock.
    Quote Originally Posted by 2runco View Post
    Beuuuutiful!! Love the drilled levers, and clean lines.

Do you ride with that much saddle tilt?
    No, I haven't got a ride in. I'm considering installing a silver saddle since I'm a slave to fashion.

Quote Originally Posted by maddmaxx View Post
    I would be very tempted to keep that one.
    I am tempted. I'll have to get the bar ends on and a few good rides before deciding anything.
    Last edited by robtown; 03-28-10 at 05:02 PM.
    Korval is Ships

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll have to get the bar ends on and a few good rides before deciding anything.
    I've never understood bar ends on an older, non-touring road bike - especially with the narrower handlebars that are typical.
    Out of the saddle riding is an exercise in caution with bar ends, or maybe I just don't have the technique right.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sweet ride! Out of curiosity, what does the bike weigh?

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildwood View Post
    I've never understood bar ends on an older, non-touring road bike - especially with the narrower handlebars that are typical.
    Out of the saddle riding is an exercise in caution with bar ends, or maybe I just don't have the technique right.
    What's to understand? They work. They are easier to reach than downtube shifters. They cost a lot less than brifters. They don't come with all the compatibility restrictions, especially if they are friction type. I'm not sure what problems you might have with out of the saddle riding. My legs never come near them when I stand.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rideon7 View Post
    Sweet ride! Out of curiosity, what does the bike weigh?
    As shown almost exactly 22 lbs. I picked up a 2002 Marin Portofino steel frame 59cm bike last week that weighs 23 lbs.

On bar ends - what BluesDawg said 100%.

Although I bought a low cost replacement front wheel to match the CR18 I've decided to use a 8,9,10 speed freewheel hub wheelset with an 8 cog cassette. The existing rear wheel is some very weird 6 cog cassette with a lockring I don't have a tool for. I picked up a cheap set of Mavic Cosmic wheels that for the Kestrel carbon so a few bikes are getting an upgrade and I'll have a spare lower end 700c wheelset.
    Korval is Ships

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Where do you find these? You've had an impressive range of great bikes go through your doors since I've been posting, and I'm always amazed at the finds. BTW, a silver seat would be nice, but can you see matching cable housing in either silver or blue?
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NOS88 View Post
    Where do you find these? You've had an impressive range of great bikes go through your doors since I've been posting, and I'm always amazed at the finds. BTW, a silver seat would be nice, but can you see matching cable housing in either silver or blue?
    I have some white cabling I may use but it does have gray cables now. The hoods are marginal, but I have a supply of black aero hoods that might be adaptable.

I get the biggest batch of bikes at the spring and fall community yard sales. The Cilo was on Craigslist and located within 5 miles of my office. I saw it posted in the first 15 minutes. I get a surprising number of bikes / frames off Craigslist when the first dozen people "no show". Here is one such beauty - a Peugeot UE-18 I don't think my wife will ride her and I probably won't make much profit. I had to buy her anyway.

Korval is Ships

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I picked up a 2002 Marin Portofino steel frame 59cm bike last week that weighs 23 lbs.
    Will you be posting pics of the Portofino? What kind of work does the bike need? Info, please (either here or PM)!