Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Special Thread For 50+yo Bicyclists

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Special Thread For 50+yo Bicyclists

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-06, 12:57 PM
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Dave - welcome. Soon you will be doing centuries and riding across the country like Will Dehne, OXBIKR and others.
Old 06-21-06, 06:51 PM

Bikes: 2006 Specialized Tarmac Expert, 1990 Specialized Allez Epic, Specialized RockCombo (winter), 70's Motobecane Team Champion,

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Please tell us your age: I will be 60 in July..and will be in Kauai..my thought is to get a good bottle of champagne, go down to the beach with my wife and howl at the moon..

1. What type of bikes do 50+ folks ride?

I rode a Specialized Carbon Fiber Epic road bike for 15 years..just replaced that with a 2006 Specialized Tarmac Expert..nothing wrong with the Epic..I simply fell in love with the Tarmac

2. Do you take any special supplements/vitamins/minerals as you have grown older?
No..I've read a fair amount of material indicating that a lot of the supplement, vitamin yadda yadda is
nonsensical and possibly harmful.

3. How much do you feel you have "slowed down" if any?
I've read a number of posts in this thread that say " I have not slowed down at all"
Absurd..if this were true, Eddy Merckx would still be riding the big tours and Carl Lewis would still
be running the 100 yard dash at the Olympics. I've slowed down, but many riders will have to work
hard to catch and/or pass me.

4. How long have you been biking? New, around a while, biked all your life?
I've biked regularly for 33 years. I was in the cycling industry for 20 years.

5. What type of biking do you do? Long rides, touring, short rec rides, commute, tour, race?
Most of my rides are 25 miles, medium to hard with a number of 50-75 milers thrown in around the
middle of the summer. I don't ride between Nov-Jan except for a stationary Lemond bike 30 minutes 3/4 times/ week (comment: I hate stationary bikes and would rather
have a boil removed as an alternative)

6. How often do you bike? Your approximate annual mileage?
During the good weather in the Northwest, about 4-6 times per week.
About 3000 miles/year

7. Do you do any other type of physical activities - weight lifting, skiing, running, etc.?

In the winter, weightlifting (light weights, many reps). This maintains an acceptable cosmetic profile
hanging out around areas that require bathing suits. It also maintains bone density.
Yardwork: good exercise..also kind of a Zen thing..
Walking: done during the winter in inclement weather. An activity that doesn't require a helmet or
any special equipment.

Snorkeling: done in tropical settings..prior to drinking champagne on the beach and howling at the
moon....
Old 06-21-06, 07:12 PM
Banned.

An activity that doesn't require a helmet or
any special equipment.
You don't wear a helmet while walking??

And what about a walking stick?

Welcome
Old 06-24-06, 11:40 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Please tell us your age.
* 71 years This October.

* Saracen N-zyme MTB. Road Bike - LeMond Etape

2. Do you take any special supplements/vitamins/minerals as you have grown older?
* Cod Liver Oil Capsules, Selenium ACE, Zinc, Multi Vitamins and Minerals.

* As I was quite overweight/unfit, I have actually speeded up.

* Cycled as a kid, but only re-started October last year in response to being diagnosed with High Blood Pressure and Type 2 Diabetes.

5. What type of biking do you do? Long rides, touring, short rec rides, commute, tour, race?
* Short training rides (12 mile hilly circuit)

* 6 days a week x 12 miles. (72 miles) – equates to 3744 miles per year

7. Do you do any other type of physical activities - weight lifting, skiing, running, etc.?
* Do weight lifting exercises, and use an exercise bike to increase my core body strength.

Last edited by Saracen; 08-07-06 at 11:16 AM.
Old 06-24-06, 12:30 PM
Banned.

Welcome, Saracen
Old 06-28-06, 06:08 AM

Bikes: Longbikes Slipstream, Ryan Vanguard, Gian Cross and Mountain Bikes

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
NH - Recumbent Rider

Please tell us your age. 61

I just switched from a Ryan Vanguard to a Longbikes Slipstream

2. Do you take any special supplements/vitamins/minerals as you have grown older? No

Yes, but I seem to ride longer

I started serious riding in the 1980's after a serious knee injury made me give up running and climbing

I was a communter and Century Rider but since I retired I do mostly self contained touring

about 4000 miles a year

I work with weights off season, which in NH is 5 months a year

You can see what I am doing at my web site - www.ebent.com
Old 07-03-06, 12:06 PM

Bikes: Custom build

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
1: custom made
2: no supplements
3: Not to my knowledge
4: about 20 years
5 : long ride 50 - 80 kilometer average, with several times a year till 200 km
6: 3 x week, yearly total about 4000 km
7: none
Old 07-03-06, 12:07 PM

Bikes: Custom build

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
sorry, I forgot I am 61
Old 07-16-06, 04:45 PM

Bikes: Litespeed Appalachian (commuter); Gueciotti, Merlin, Bianchi San Jose, single speed, Trek 2120 that's morphed into a single speed, Co-Motion tandem

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DnvrFox
I thought there might be some interest in a thread such as this. If not, it will go the way of all threads - just die away.

Some questions:

Please tell us your age.

Perhaps you might indicate your age on your reply??

Also, please see a list of all the contributors:
Please tell us your age. 59

Commuter - Litespeed Appalachian; Century / tours / recreation - Merlin; Vintage - Raleigh Pro
and a Guerciotti; Single speeds - Trek 2120 morphed & a Bianchi San Jose; Co-motion tandem

Does beer count?

Faster than I was when 30 years old. 10 - 15% slower than at 50.

Been around the block a few times - 25 years.

Commute / utility, ultramarathon, centuries, multiday tours - like to ride because I enjoy it.

Ride about 75% of the days in a year - log 8000 - 10000 miles.

Minimal hiking; walk to work when weather is too cold (below 15F) or roads are icy.
Old 07-16-06, 06:43 PM
Banned.

Welcome Centuryman!
Old 07-16-06, 08:28 PM
Banned.

Originally Posted by glimmerkat
Age 51--and I almost didn't look at this thread because I think of "old people" as boring. Hahaha... Not slowing down here...
"Old people" are boring - but none of us younger types here on the 50+ forum are!
Old 07-26-06, 09:05 AM
anversois

Bikes: Trek hybrid

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I ride a Specialized Sequoia- basically a racing bike. It's super light and easy to pick up and place on a bike rack. (Amazing how this gets tougher every year!)

None--- yet- though the doctor recomended Vitamin D + calcium.

I don't have the stamina I used to-- and can't climb the way I used to. I have to walk up steep inclines and marvel at the cyclists I see on mountains.

I've been biking for most of my life-- but not avidly. It's only been for the last 10 years or so that I've been riding on a more regular basis. That's when they completed a bike trail from Amherst to Northampton, MA. I'll hit that trail about three times a week for about 8 miles each time I go out. It's great exercise and far less boring than an exercise bike.

Although I do mainly asphalt bike trails, my wife and I have cycled on trails in most of the neighboring states-- RI, eastern MA, NY state, CT, VT, PA, OH, WI and MI. When we vacation, we often rent bikes and explore cities, college campuses and bike trails.

Uusally-- short trips-- 8-10 miles each time we go out-- but when we travel to bike, we might do 30+ miles. (Nantucket, Martha's Vineyard, Cape Cod, Block Island).

During the winter months, I'll go to the gym and do a few aerobic machines and the treadmill. I've got constant scapula pain and cycling/machines can exacerbate the pain if I'm not careful.

8. Perhaps you might indicate your age on your reply?

I'm 71 and feeling great. Slight loss of stamina-- but, still, raring to go.
Old 07-26-06, 10:41 AM
Banned.

Welcome, anversois.

Congratulations on your and your wife's bicycling together. I (66yo) and my wife (68yo) are planning a trip to New England at the end of September. We are going to borrow a couple of bikes from one of the BF 50+ folks - Pastor Bob in New London, NH. We hill hit Maine, Vermont and NH.
Old 08-02-06, 03:18 AM
Bent Ryder

Bikes: Bachetta Agio

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I thought there might be some interest in a thread such as this. If not, it will go the way of all threads - just die away.

So, here is my first contribution.

Some questions:

Please tell us your age.

Perhaps you might indicate your age on your reply??

Also, please see a list of all the contributors:
I am 50!
1. Sedona Giant since 1992, Now a Bacchetta Agio recumbent
2. General Multi_vitamin, C, E, Zinc, Glucosamine
3. Quite a lot. I have become a very (overly) cautious rider. In 1989 was hit by a car while
stationed in Korea, 2000 and 2005 hit by cars in Aurora. I don't like getting hurt. I have become
such a NANCY

4. Most of my life. Up until I was 18 it was the only transportation I had. Now I ride to get back in
shape and get my BP, cholesterol and weight under control

5. Depends on my schedule. When working graves, I do short rides (12 miles) before work on the days
I work, and 23 milers on my off days. When I have a 3 day weekend, I try to get a 45 + miler in,
working myself back up to a century. When I am on day shifts, I usually ride to work (10 miles)
and do the 23 milers on my off days again.

6 My goal is to do 100 miles a week.
7. I do some minor weight lifting, and I have a Cross trainer that I use on days I can't ride
Old 08-05-06, 02:08 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Please tell us your age.

Big double nickle later this month.

Giant Sedona

Multi vitamin tab

Mind says no, body says yes.

Rode constantly when a kid. Again when in college. Quit riding 30 years ago (actually, bike was stolen and I didn't replace it.) Started again 15 mo. ago for exercise.

Probably what would be called short rec rides. 10-40 mi. stick mostly to trails or country roads.

For the last month it's been daily. Hopefully I'll reach 1500 before shutting down for the winter.

When I'm not riding I do some free weights.
Old 08-05-06, 05:33 PM
Banned.

Welcome.

Where do you live?
Old 08-05-06, 08:59 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Welcome.

Where do you live?
Atchison, KS
Old 08-17-06, 08:00 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Please tell us your age. 53 and one half years old

1. What type of bikes do 50+ folks ride? I have been on Treks most of the past 15 years but am about to purchase either an Orbea Onix or a Jamis

2. Do you take any special supplements/vitamins/minerals as you have grown older? eat lots of fruit, drink water

3. How much do you feel you have "slowed down" if any? I raced a lot in my 30's and early 40's but on 50th birthday quit playing basketball twice a week and started riding every day, doing 30-40 miles per day. Actually, have never been faster in my life. Race/ride with mainly younger riders and can climb with anyone despite being 6'0, 207 pounds. Also my sprint has improved in past three to four years. Did a flatland 38.5 mph turn recently

4. How long have you been biking? New, around a while, biked all your life? 28 years

5. What type of biking do you do? Long rides, touring, short rec rides, commute, tour, race? medium to long rides, lots of hill climbing, group ride/races

6. How often do you bike? Your approximate annual mileage? every day, last year rode 8401 miles. so far this year I am at 6600

7. Do you do any other type of physical activities - weight lifting, skiing, running, etc.? spinning twice a week along with what we call boot camp activities - light running, abs, etc.
Old 08-22-06, 07:16 PM

Bikes: Trek FX 7.5, Electra Townie 7D

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just joined bikeforums a couple weeks ago. My wife's purchase of a Townie 7D--and my daytime commandeering of it while she's at work--reignighted my passion for biking. To answer your questions:

1. My bike is a 2006 Trek 6700. My "other bike" will be a Townie 7D once my LBS gets its order in and assembles it. (I got too many cat-whistles riding my wife's girl-framed Townie so I HAD to order my own boys-framed 7D.)

2. Should I? Well, how about a Tylenol...does that count?

3. My endurance has picked up only because I volunteered to help on my kids' Boy Scout bicycling badge. I did a half-century on my Trek two weeks ago. Now I keep a Tylenol in the seat bag. I found it wasn't hard going 15 to 25 miles an outing. So I probably have only now begun to ride at my fitness level.

4. Biked all my life. All day Saturdays until I got to college. When I became a professional, I biked an average of 10 miles a week--mostly around my neighborhood. When I became a stay-at-home working dad, I upped it to 25 miles a week. Now I enjoy doing about 7 miles a day, still around the neighborhood, while my computer churns away processing data. I'm glad it's slow.

5. Suburban streets, and thanks to the Scouts, county roads and a rails-to-trails ride.

6. Gotta get a bike computer to know for sure. My current rate may be about 1000 miles annually. I'd like to bike more, but there are no bike lanes or decent road shoulders where I live. If there were, I'd do my shopping every morning by bike.

7. I love hiking out west, which requires another thing I like to do--cross-country drives with bored kids and a CB blaring away. Bryce, Zion and Capitol Reef are faves. Otherwise, I do a lot of housework during the day.

Age...52 (going on 53).

Last edited by carta; 08-24-06 at 06:01 AM.
Old 08-22-06, 08:14 PM

Bikes: 2007 Specialized Sirrus Comp, 1988 Diamond Back Ascent

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Greetings from western Colorado

Randy Sunderland signing in, age 50
1. Current ride: 1989 Diamond Back Traverse
Waiting for a 2007 Trek 7.6 FX, changing out the crank/cassette to touring (48/36/28) w/ 12/34 cassette
Back in the day rode a pimped out Schwinn Stingray 5-speed!

2. No supplements - just try to eat right, mixed with lots of chocolate

3. When you are slow to begin with, slowing down is relative. Since 40 I've been eating better, exercising regularly and have steadily improved my fitness level so that I now am in as good a shape as I've ever been.

4-5. I've been on a bike all my life. Got hooked early when I conned 3 friends into riding out to a lake 12 miles outside of town when I was 7 or 8, got in all kinds of trouble when we finally got home but have been roaming ever since. Stepped up to a decent bike 17 years ago and have avg. 1,000 a year since. This year I've stepped up my routes to 20 miles, up from 10-12 mile routes last year, and should top 1,500 miles this season. Always ride solo or with my wife, never been too interested in challenging my skills in a group setting. Love exploring my home turf in western Colorado, mostly paved roads and gravel country roads, with the odd off-road trail mixed in. Poor knees, bad gear selection keep me off the serious single-track stuff.

6. I get out 3-4 times a week, plus the odd 5-mile round-trip commute to work. Goal is 1,000 miles per year, this season I'm working up to a century ride to Ouray in late Sept. so expect to be closer to 1,500 miles.

7. My other activities cut into my biking time. I love to hike - get out most weekends for a 5-6 mile trek with my wife and two dogs (also walk about a mile nightly with the dogs). In the summer my physical activities are yard work, biking and hiking. Once it gets cold I head for the gym 3 times a week for an hour of swimming and 30 minutes of core exercises in the water (routine set up by physical therapist after a bad fall a couple of years ago to help with a couple of compressed discs). I also love to snowshoe in the winter, and just got certified for open water scuba this year.
Old 08-22-06, 08:18 PM

Bikes: 2007 Specialized Sirrus Comp, 1988 Diamond Back Ascent

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
PS: Dream ride is to get on the bike and head north to Alaska.
Old 08-27-06, 08:41 AM

Bikes: Trek Pilot 1.2, Specialized Sirius

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
1. Age

2. What type of bikes do 50+ folks ride?

Trek Pilot 1.2 with a mountainbike cassette for better hill climbing (it's hilly here in southwestern CT)
Also have a Specialized Sirrus that I've been converting into a comfort/errand bike -- but it really won't take any knobby tires, so I'm thinking of selling it and just getting an inexpensive hybrid.

3. Do you take any special supplements/vitamins/minerals as you have grown older?

No.

4. How much do you feel you have "slowed down" if any?

How does one slow down from escargot pace????

Biked extensively until I went to college
Biked extensively in my mid-20's to mid-30s
Came back to it again about seven years ago

So am I new or been around for a while???

Mostly 20-40 mile "touring" pace rides
Would like to do a multi-day bike tour

Try to bike both days every weekend. Doing about 1000 miles/year at present

Runner. Been since I was about 18. The return to biking was only supposed to be cross-training, but I find that I'm liking it more and more for itself.

Last edited by jp173; 08-27-06 at 08:50 AM.
Old 08-27-06, 11:18 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
59, so you'll have to have a 60+ thread soon

1. 2 MTBs Peugeot & Trek
2. not yet
3. not slowed down as much as getting arthritic
4. ~6 then stopped at 12, then again just now
5. short rec rides for now
6. 3 times a week around the subdivision development
Old 08-27-06, 11:46 AM
Banned.

Originally Posted by mister2
59, so you'll have to have a 60+ thread soon

1. 2 MTBs Peugeot & Trek
2. not yet
3. not slowed down as much as getting arthritic
4. ~6 then stopped at 12, then again just now
5. short rec rides for now
6. 3 times a week around the subdivision development
That has been discussed (well, actually a 65+ thread), but soundly rejected!

So, I (and others) will just have to put up with the punk 50 yo's!

Last edited by DnvrFox; 08-27-06 at 02:56 PM.
Old 08-27-06, 02:02 PM
"the old one"

Bikes: Cannondale tandem,Bianchi road bike Raliegh mtn bike schwinn Super LeTour 12.2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi,I'm 63 years old,
1.I have a Bianchi Brava,Raleigh SC-30,and a Schwinn Super Le Tour 12.2
2.NO supplements,just try to eat right.
3.Don't feel that I've slowed down at all,feel even better since I retired last December.
4.Been biking on and off since childhood,more seriously last few years.
5.Mostly rec rides,but I did do a 100k Lupus fundraiser and the MS150 for the first time this year.
6.I try to get out every day (weather and schedule permitting.)I try to do between 10-20 miles each time out,unless I'm training for something special.
7.I like to cross-country ski and roller- blade.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.