Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Social Networks

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Social Networks

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-10, 10:22 AM
Flatlander

Bikes: 2010 Jamis Coda Comp

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by NOS88
I won't participate in anything with this as part of their policy:

"We may use information about you that we collect from other sources, including but not limited to newspapers and Internet sources such as blogs, instant messaging services and other users of Facebook, to supplement your profile."
In other words, to provide unsolicited advertising that makes you feel extra special....
Old 05-17-10, 11:08 AM
His Brain is Gone!

Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have a Facebook account. I use it to contact two groups of people: Family and old friends. Since setting it up I have re-established contact with about a dozen old friends from high school and college. It's been a blast catching back up with them. Will likely be meeting up with 3 or 4 of them this summer.

I do get a lot of friends requests, from people I don't know, and I turn all of them down.

And I haven't put any "current" friends on my list. No co-workers, people I know around Madison, etc. I figure if I want to communicate with them, I can do so face to face or via phone.
Old 05-17-10, 11:11 AM
Wheezing Geezer

Bikes: Bacchetta Corsa, RANS Stratus XP

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
An inspiring local lung cancer survivor (who's had a double lung transplant) got me started on facebook, and with so many family members, lung cancer survivors, and riding friends there, I've slowly gotten more active.
Old 05-17-10, 11:11 AM
Senior Member ??

Bikes: 2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520 - 2014 Catrike Trail

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I won't participate in anything with this as part of their policy:

"We may use information about you that we collect from other sources, including but not limited to newspapers and Internet sources such as blogs, instant messaging services and other users of Facebook, to supplement your profile."
The key word there is "may". You can set your account settings to prevent this.....

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
-- Antonio Smith
Old 05-17-10, 11:40 AM
Old Fart Racing

Bikes: 2015 Trek Domane 6.9 disc D/A Di2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
https://www.facebook.com/search/?flt=...s=10#!/macnkat
Old 05-17-10, 08:20 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Facebook as the login screen says, allows you to connect and share with friends. You control what content is shared and who you share with. I have caught up with old high school mates I haven't seen or heard from in 40 years. If you approach it correctly, there should be no harm. Follow these basic rules,
  1. No birth dates
  2. No addresses
  3. No "I am going to Europe for for 3 months"
Did I leave out, use some common sense.

PS: If only you knew how your grandchildren were using MySpace and Twitter.
Old 05-18-10, 04:44 AM

Bikes: Cannondale Six Carbon 5 and Gary Fisher Wahoo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cyclinfool
ancient of technologies - the POTS. I guess I better move into this century - or at least dab my toe into it. If the water is not right I'll just walk away.
Wow POTS I don't hear that too often even though I deal with it daily.
I went on FB but walked away, it can be done.
Old 05-18-10, 05:16 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Beverly
The key word there is "may". You can set your account settings to prevent this.....
You can set your account settings any way you want. They can still data mine. The fact is that they've been in constant (or more accurately "on-going") controversies over privacy issues. They've been sued successfully numerous times over intellectual property rights. Third party applications have access to almost all user information and "Facebook does not screen or approve Platform Developers and cannot control how such Platform Developers use any personal information." It's a bit naive to think there is no risk involved. (I'm not saying you think that, just trying to balance the benefits with some of the potential problems.) I think if you're going to use it you need to follow some of the suggestions made by thomamueller in his post. Perhaps one of the things that troubles me most about Facebook, MY Space and Twitter has nothing to do with safety, data mining, etc. There are some disturbing new studies showing that young people today are much less able to read body language correctly than generations before them. Granted this is likely not an issue for folks on this forum, but still makes me wonder where we're headed. Social networking is a good thing, where, when, how much, and what kind are all issues to be considered before making decisions about responsible social networking. Now having read what I've just written, I acknowledge I'm sounding a bit like a cranky old geezer. I'm not opposed to Facebook. I'm just saying decide based on a full picture of what you're getting into and/or supporting as a shift in culture.
Old 05-18-10, 05:46 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think the biggest issue with all of these is the "social interaction" aspect. It is almost replacing one on one interactions. Kids don't know how to behave when they meet someone, but can go online flame/or rant about someone. They hide behind a computer screen.
Old 05-18-10, 06:11 AM
Senior Member ??

Bikes: 2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520 - 2014 Catrike Trail

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You can set your account settings any way you want. They can still data mine. The fact is that they've been in constant (or more accurately "on-going") controversies over privacy issues. They've been sued successfully numerous times over intellectual property rights. Third party applications have access to almost all user information and "Facebook does not screen or approve Platform Developers and cannot control how such Platform Developers use any personal information." It's a bit naive to think there is no risk involved. (I'm not saying you think that, just trying to balance the benefits with some of the potential problems.) I think if you're going to use it you need to follow some of the suggestions made by thomamueller in his post. Perhaps one of the things that troubles me most about Facebook, MY Space and Twitter has nothing to do with safety, data mining, etc. There are some disturbing new studies showing that young people today are much less able to read body language correctly than generations before them. Granted this is likely not an issue for folks on this forum, but still makes me wonder where we're headed. Social networking is a good thing, where, when, how much, and what kind are all issues to be considered before making decisions about responsible social networking. Now having read what I've just written, I acknowledge I'm sounding a bit like a cranky old geezer. I'm not opposed to Facebook. I'm just saying decide based on a full picture of what you're getting into and/or supporting as a shift in culture.
I see your point and understand your concerns. Having worked in the IT business for 40 years, the last 13 with a large online information provider, I know the risks associated with just signing onto any website. I've been lucky (knock on wood), the worst problem I've had is someone hacked my American Express card and charged some flights to Bangkok. AE caught it immediately and cancelled the card without any financial obligation to me.

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
-- Antonio Smith
Old 05-18-10, 06:58 AM
Flatlander

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by thomamueller
I think the biggest issue with all of these is the "social interaction" aspect. It is almost replacing one on one interactions. Kids don't know how to behave when they meet someone, but can go online flame/or rant about someone. They hide behind a computer screen.
One of the most surreal experiences I've ever had was in a workshop about wikis, tweets, avatars, and the like. We all had laptops, and for the last 10 minutes of the session, we were supposed to post to the wiki that had been created for the workshop. It seemed so crazy to communicate online with the same people who were sitting right there in the room. We could have just talked to each other!

But if you're not in the same place at the same time, these new technologies can enable communication in amazing ways (mis-spellings, grammatical errors, poorly masked stupidity, and downright nastiness disguised as free speech nothwithstanding...).
Old 05-18-10, 07:37 AM
Old Fart Racing

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by thomamueller
Bullies come in all forms...and have been around long before social networks. I suspect they will be here long after they are gone as well.
Old 05-18-10, 11:32 AM
Shredding Grandma!

Bikes: I don't own any bikes

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Funny this got started in the over 50+ thread... I hate all the nonsense surrounding FB. I have never been to Twitter and see no purpose in it. I think of it as internet jibble jabber... "No, I really don't want to do what you are doing with every minute of your life".

My family is converted to FB and are obsessed so much so they won't respond to my emails. My sister will say I posted a response to your email on FB. My response is always "well I didn't see it and why would I want everything to know what I asked you?"

I would have no problem if it is used for some central messaging functions - I have participating in Groups on Yahoo - for instance when I was doing an Adventure Cycling trip in Montana and it was a way for us to communicate. But this always posting jibber like its important to others. I kindof think the world is becoming sadly "needy" and its a way to get attention. I think it sad that this is the only way we can keep in touch with family and friends anymore - like what happened to seeing folks in person or calling them or sending a personal email... guess everyone is too busy to be personal anymore.

And also I am concerned about "We may use information about you that we collect from other sources, including but not limited to newspapers and Internet sources such as blogs, instant messaging services and other users of Facebook, to supplement your profile." We tend to be complacent about what we post on social networks forgetting it is basically open to all. My nephew just learned that lesson. He has an active FB page. It shows him and his friends and family partying and drunk all the time. He just tried to get a job and guess what... the employer checked out FB and found his page. The employer was nice enough to tell the nephew he should edit the content. The nephew did not get the job. If you use FB with reason, then I guess go ahead. But those who go and use FB; you know that doesn't happen all the time.

OK my ole lady rant for the day! Sorry... carry on!

Private docent led mountain bike rides through Limestone Canyon. Go to letsgooutside.org and register today! Also available: hikes, equestrian rides and family events as well as trail maintenance and science study.
Old 05-18-10, 11:36 AM
Shredding Grandma!

Bikes: I don't own any bikes

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Metric Man
Bullies come in all forms...and have been around long before social networks. I suspect they will be here long after they are gone as well.
But MM had a valid point... society is losing the ability to interact one on one... kids will barely look you in the eye anymore since they are so used to being buried in their smart phones texting away (and don't get me going on that - another ole lady rant!). And people are emboldened by hiding behind a keyboard. I really don't see any of this as a good thing - convenience? yes. Good? No!

Private docent led mountain bike rides through Limestone Canyon. Go to letsgooutside.org and register today! Also available: hikes, equestrian rides and family events as well as trail maintenance and science study.
Old 05-18-10, 02:09 PM
Old Fart Racing

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Technology is like anything else...used in moderation and responsibly it is a good thing. Raising children with technology and making sure they are still decent members of society is not difficult, but it does require effort. We chose to raise our kids with a healthy dose of religion as well as the outside influences in life and I believe we were quit successful. Our youngest actually decided to sell his video game stuff a few years ago to help fund another guitar purchase, a rather mature decision I thought. Allow me to share him here playing the part of Benedict in Much Ado About Nothing. He's a junior in High School.

Old 05-18-10, 02:29 PM

Bikes: Tsunami, Trek, Diamond Back

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm new here... but will throw my 2 cents into the mix.
Facebook is just like a lot of people have pointed out - not without its controversies and privacy concerns, but it's a tool to be used as you see fit, preferably with common sense. It's a great way to keep in contact with people. Our cycling club has a Facebook page but I think our members are more active on the club's website forum.

A lot of people misunderstand what Twitter is all about and it's completely different from Facebook. It's not just people posting what they are doing every 15 minutes. It's a way for businesses to communicate with customers and get direct feedback, for people to get breaking news long before it's in the newspapers, and each individual can decide precisely whose twitter feed (news) they want to read (follow/subscribe to). I have read some really interesting content (links to articles) from following contacts in topics such as social media, pro cycling, and other topics that interest me. I can find out who is winning a stage of the Giro or the Tour of California or the Tour de France as it is happening. You can search on virtually any topic and see what topics are trending, which is really valuable if you're into marketing research. It's not just about those 140 characters, but many prominent cycling-related bloggers post on Twitter when they have a new blog post (i.e. BikePortland, BikeSnobNYC, etc.)

I just think a lot of people are too paranoid about all this "social networking" and fail to see the business or social value in a communication or networking tool without really knowing a lot about it. I feel that people who are not participating are missing out, but that's just my opinion. Maybe I'm just a news junkie!
Old 05-18-10, 02:39 PM
Harry helps.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I got a Facebook account to keep in touch with my kids and keep up with old friends. It's stated purpose of keeping in touch worked very well until... Several months ago, while checking my banking, I had a charge from Zynga. Who are they???, I ask. They are the creators of the farming game on Facebook. The charge was for $250. I call the bank and find out they had blocked an additional $750 in charges.

I e-mail Facebook and get a we'll look into it response. Never heard from them again. I disabled my Facebook account. Be careful when using Facebook.
Old 05-18-10, 04:07 PM

Bikes: Tsunami, Trek, Diamond Back

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just found a link to this article on Twitter: "5 Essential Facebook Privacy Tips"

https://mashable.com/2010/05/18/faceb...ial+Media+Feed)
Old 05-18-10, 04:18 PM

Bikes: Old Bike: 1975 Raleigh Delta, New Bike: 2004 Norco Bushpilot

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Pamestique
Funny this got started in the over 50+ thread... I hate all the nonsense surrounding FB. I have never been to Twitter and see no purpose in it. I think of it as internet jibble jabber... "No, I really don't want to do what you are doing with every minute of your life".

My family is converted to FB and are obsessed so much so they won't respond to my emails. My sister will say I posted a response to your email on FB. My response is always "well I didn't see it and why would I want everything to know what I asked you?"

I would have no problem if it is used for some central messaging functions - I have participating in Groups on Yahoo - for instance when I was doing an Adventure Cycling trip in Montana and it was a way for us to communicate. But this always posting jibber like its important to others. I kindof think the world is becoming sadly "needy" and its a way to get attention. I think it sad that this is the only way we can keep in touch with family and friends anymore - like what happened to seeing folks in person or calling them or sending a personal email... guess everyone is too busy to be personal anymore.

And also I am concerned about "We may use information about you that we collect from other sources, including but not limited to newspapers and Internet sources such as blogs, instant messaging services and other users of Facebook, to supplement your profile." We tend to be complacent about what we post on social networks forgetting it is basically open to all. My nephew just learned that lesson. He has an active FB page. It shows him and his friends and family partying and drunk all the time. He just tried to get a job and guess what... the employer checked out FB and found his page. The employer was nice enough to tell the nephew he should edit the content. The nephew did not get the job. If you use FB with reason, then I guess go ahead. But those who go and use FB; you know that doesn't happen all the time.

OK my ole lady rant for the day! Sorry... carry on!
Services like Facebook can be handy, great way to get back in contact with old acquaintances or former friends from back in the Cretaceous period known as high school, your not really a friend if I have not talked to you in 30 odd years. It's better with family, when your family is spread over the entire country, then it's a good way to find out what others are doing. What is helpful though is to once in a while go through your friend list and remove those you have not communicated with in a while, just like you trim your paper address book on occasion.

Twitter, I have little use for, because what I would put on twitter, I can put on FB as a status.
Old 05-19-10, 07:35 PM
Flatlander

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by pdxjelli

A lot of people misunderstand what Twitter is all about and it's completely different from Facebook. It's not just people posting what they are doing every 15 minutes. It's a way for businesses to communicate with customers and get direct feedback, for people to get breaking news long before it's in the newspapers, and each individual can decide precisely whose twitter feed (news) they want to read (follow/subscribe to). I have read some really interesting content (links to articles) from following contacts in topics such as social media, pro cycling, and other topics that interest me. I can find out who is winning a stage of the Giro or the Tour of California or the Tour de France as it is happening. You can search on virtually any topic and see what topics are trending, which is really valuable if you're into marketing research. It's not just about those 140 characters, but many prominent cycling-related bloggers post on Twitter when they have a new blog post (i.e. BikePortland, BikeSnobNYC, etc.)
In theory, Twitter should mesh nicely with my stream of consciousness type thinking, but I find it overwhelming. But that's because I've only dabbled in it rather than try to figure out how to really *use* it. The "old dog, new trick" conumdrum rears its ugly head again.
Old 05-19-10, 08:47 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Lauraspark
In theory, Twitter should mesh nicely with my stream of consciousness type thinking.
Boy does that bring back memories of a manager I use to work with. All her emails were pure stream of consciousness. No caps, no punctuations (as in commas and periods), and no spacing. Amusing now, but not back then when trying to figure what was being said. I am sure she has taken to twitter well.
Old 05-19-10, 09:30 PM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by Wogsterca
Twitter, I have little use for, because what I would put on twitter, I can put on FB as a status.
I have a Twitter account, but I almost never post anything on it. I use Twitter as basically a news service. I follow a few bike racers and cycling teams and I follow a few cycling news services and advocacy groups. I used to check it every day, but lately I only check it every week or two unless I'm trying to keep up with an event.
Old 05-19-10, 10:06 PM
Pedals, Paddles and Poles

Bikes: Santa Cruz Tallboy, Ridley Noah, Scott Spark 20

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1233 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 58 Posts
Use FaceBook and Bike Forums for your purpose. Make it fun. But avoid the Farmer/Mafia games like an STD.

One more thing, check out Cigar Forums-SMOKIN!

I can't even find my bike when I'm on drugs. -Willie N.
Old 05-19-10, 10:08 PM
Pedals, Paddles and Poles

Bikes: Santa Cruz Tallboy, Ridley Noah, Scott Spark 20

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1233 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 58 Posts
Originally Posted by Pamestique
But MM had a valid point... society is losing the ability to interact one on one... kids will barely look you in the eye anymore since they are so used to being buried in their smart phones texting away (and don't get me going on that - another ole lady rant!). And people are emboldened by hiding behind a keyboard. I really don't see any of this as a good thing - convenience? yes. Good? No!
Housing Trend-moving into guard gated fenced communities. Society's biggest gripe? Isolation and solitary lives. Pam's right there, for every one!

I can't even find my bike when I'm on drugs. -Willie N.
Old 05-25-10, 11:35 AM

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,585 Times in 2,344 Posts
an hour or two? what are you 13? I'm on facebook and just check in once a day or every other day. have reconnected with pals from high school and am having a reunion in a couple of weeks. its a great way to share pictures and stay in touch with people without actually talking to them which really takes time!