Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Farewell to 50+

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Farewell to 50+

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-10, 10:26 AM

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1857 Post(s)
Liked 664 Times in 506 Posts
Farewell to 50+

I am bidding farewell to 50+. I have seen this as a place of intelligence, knowledge, fun, tongue in cheek humor, an experienced approach to cycling, as well as a place of honest talk that is sometimes tough, and which sometimes brings tough love.

I do not want to stay if, as in the latest tubular thread, facts are ignored, hearsay reflecting misunderstanding is claimed as truth, and when one is informed that his claims are wrong accuses others of not being mature and rational.

It is not what it was. I may be back someday, but not for a while.

Godspeed.
Old 06-10-10, 10:52 AM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1186 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 177 Posts
You're leaving because someone doesn't agree with you? That's funny.
Old 06-10-10, 11:09 AM

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Maybe a bit of over-reaction. Subject is not any more pretentious than other topics such as saddles and cadence!
Old 06-10-10, 11:13 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by gregf83
You're leaving because someone doesn't agree with you? That's funny.
I think you misread the implications of Road Fan's first paragraph. With all due respect, your post count indicates that you are a relative new comer. Having been part of the 50+ for bit longer, I can say that there has been a consistent tone to this forum - one of acceptance, civility, gentle humor, and, perhaps most importantly, respect. It also appears that every so often we'll go through a period of rough waters where these qualities are challenged. Typically this happens when a small number of individuals behave in ways outside the norms that Road Fan has described. The issue is not agreement, the issue is the manner in which the conversation is being held. My experience has been that many of the more seasoned members of this forum simply lay low until the behavior dies away. However, every now and again we lose members who were real sources of knowledge, wisdom, inspiration, and enjoyment. They simply reach the point where the rewards are not worth the aggravation. A week ago I started a thread "Are things getting a bit testy lately?" in an effort to have people consider the tone of their posts and remind those of us who have been around for a while that we have an admirable history of the qualities I mentioned at the beginning of this post. Yet, it appears that the current disruptions have not abated, and we're losing a member who I've valued. There is little funny about that to me. With that said, here's hoping we regain the qualities that have kept me coming here on a regular basis.
Old 06-10-10, 12:07 PM

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
I've been offended on BF and even offended others, sometimes by accident or misinterpretation. I've also called out the yoyos for being what they are. this place is great fun so don't stay away too long!
Old 06-10-10, 12:11 PM

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 30 Posts
I hope we see you again Road Fan and I know exactly what you mean. I've been tempted to go the same way as you. Many of the old timers on this forum have left for the same reason as you. I have to bite my tongue a lot with, some of the replies that are given to new riders. I learned by asking stupid questions. I learned a lot and would like to pass that on. sometimes I wont answer a question because someone will shoot you down with some sarcastic remark. Some people just cant get along. If you don't believe that go in the road forum. Anyhow these people know who they are and they say they are sorry. I really wonder if they are sorry or not. I guess they are sorry, in a sense.

Anyhow take care it was fun reading your post and benefiting from your knowledge.
Old 06-10-10, 12:25 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 9 Posts
Lots of arrogance and ignorance of late. Enjoy your break Road Fan. See you again.
Old 06-10-10, 12:26 PM
gone ride'n

Bikes: Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I hope you find your way back. We do miss those who have contributed.

I have felt the same way, sorting through more "less than thoughtful" posts to find the posts I enjoy from the members I respect. For the first time about a month ago I even started using the ignore feature to flag posters whom for me add little value. There are also threads - like the tubular thread I simply have never opened because I know what to expect and I need no part of it. Likewise there are threads where I have ventured into and have no desire to open again.

This forum is cyclic, after playing here for the past 3 seasons the fracus will usually cool down when the fall gets closer and the newbies have either adapted to the culture here or have simply left. In the meantime I will set my filter bandwidth narrow and add my flak jacket for anything that gets through and sometimes, if I loose my cool or I am having a very bad day, I will strike back.

Come back soon.
Old 06-10-10, 12:26 PM

Bikes: Old Bike: 1975 Raleigh Delta, New Bike: 2004 Norco Bushpilot

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Sorry I started the tubular thread, and I ask that you reconsider leaving, I have asked the moderators to delete that thread if possible. I am actually planning a vacation from here for a few weeks, and suggest that you consider doing the same.
Old 06-10-10, 12:30 PM

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
moderators never delete threads they only close them. as far as I know
Old 06-10-10, 01:21 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Keep in contact RoadFan. Every year we go through a spell that upsets the 50+ forum that we all know and like but it does not mean that we stay that way.

So keep looking and when you think things have settles down- come back---

Otherwise the Diego's will come to find you.

Spike Milligan
Old 06-10-10, 01:22 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
NOS88
"Sometimes the rewards are not worth the aggravation."

Well said,ive just about come to that point in several of the forums within BF.

I got ticked at Road Fan in another forum one time,which i really regretted and PMed him an apology. He didnt reply,however since then on several occasions he has joined in on some of my comments here and has graciously forgotten the past. Hopefully he'll be back,he is a wealth of info on older stuff.
Sometimes a rest is good,im cutting back on even going to some of the other forums on BF myself.
Old 06-10-10, 02:03 PM

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Originally Posted by curdog
Maybe a bit of over-reaction. Subject is not any more pretentious than other topics such as saddles and cadence!
I think so too. I just reread the tubular thread. Frankly, while there were some repeated misconceptions, I didn't find it to be particularly adversarial.

I think that sometimes over the internet it's easy to argue a little too long or little too hard because you miss the non verbal clues that you get in a face to face conversation and can't tell when somebody is starting to get upset.

Recently on the Road Forum I had a set to with a fellow lasting 3 pages or so about the difference between the definitions of "normal" and "common". It got a little chippy at times but it was all in good fun - I think. I know I wasn't offended and I kind of think the other guy was OK too.

Last edited by Retro Grouch; 06-10-10 at 02:12 PM.
Old 06-10-10, 03:12 PM

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
There seems to have been a lot of discontent around these parts lately.

I contemplated not coming back last week for many of the same reasons listed by our friend Road Fan. After skipping a few days I decided that I was probably as guilty as anyone of making waves and chose to slide back in.

There are still some posters here who I enjoy reading and they seem like friends and aquaintances to me. I'ld miss them much the same as I'll be missing you Road Fan.

Safe journey and I hope to see you back.
Old 06-10-10, 03:18 PM
Dan J

Bikes: 1974 Stella 10 speed, 2006 Trek Pilot 1.2

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I haven't contributed to the tubular thread, so at least I know I'm not the offending party. I have read parts of it and while it is a little more confrontational than most threads, I didn't think it was that bad. It's easy enough to ignore posts/posters that don't offer anything of value. No one is holding a gun to your head to make you read all the posts. I agree that the anonymous nature of forums makes it easier for people to inter-relate in ways they wouldn't in person. So, I say: take the good, leave the bad. I think we've disagreed a few times, but I regard you as part of the good. Hope to see you back.

Dan
Old 06-10-10, 04:22 PM
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3588 Post(s)
Liked 3,400 Times in 1,934 Posts
When I saw the title I thought maybe you were leaving 50+ because you started getting younger instead of older...
Old 06-10-10, 04:38 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sorry to lose you. I'm new here but read at least every other day. I like this forum better than most on the BF. I have about three ignored's but they are not from this forum. I just have an aversion to cussin'. I work in a corrections facility and it is horrible there. Then there are the inmates. But anyone here using initials or just plain cussin' will get the ignore from me. It doesn't hurt them any. I hope you come back as I learn lots from you guys. Take care. Wing Nut
Old 06-10-10, 04:44 PM
TMB
Permanent Refugee .......

Bikes: Steel

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Road Fan.

I see you are a friend of OFG. One of my best friends, a gentleman. Say hi to him for me.

I think I will follow your lead.
Old 06-10-10, 04:57 PM

Bikes: 2008 Trek FX 7.1, 1984 Fuji Esprit, 2009 Jamis Aurora Elite

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've found that I can't write the way I normally talk in a conversation because the written word sometimes is misinterpreted. Also, words in print carry so much more weight than spoken words. When I first joined, I posted an N+1 story where I extolled the virtues of my latest acquisition. It was written tongue in cheek but obviously not read in the same way as evidenced by some rather snippy replies. I learned then and there to weigh my words more carefully in a forum of relative strangers. I'm glad I stuck with BF since I've pick up a lot of information along the way and it motivates me to continue my hobby. I hope you reconsider you position since I respect your thoughts and opinions.
Old 06-10-10, 05:19 PM

Bikes: 2009 Fuji Roubaix RC; 2011 Fuji Cross 2.0; '92 Diamond Back Ascent EX

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 12 Posts
I, too, hope you will reconsider. The tubular topic was really interesting and informative to someone like me who had no clue what they were really all about. Those of us who reentered cycling at an advanced age can really benefit by thos of you who have been in it for decades. I hope that won't be lost here.
Old 06-10-10, 05:22 PM
Boomer

Bikes: Diamondback Clarity II frame homebuilt.

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 16098 Post(s)
Liked 1,457 Times in 1,064 Posts
Come back soon Road Fan. Untill then, enjoy the ride.
Old 06-10-10, 06:02 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Road Fan, just shrug your shoulders and don't be gone too long.
Old 06-10-10, 06:11 PM
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
I will sorely miss you. Don't stay away too long. I, too, have had to take breaks, and for me, breaks away are a good thing. It helps my perspective, as I sometimes tend to be too intense about things.

So, take a break and know you will be missed.

Then come back.
Old 06-10-10, 06:38 PM
Retro-guy

Bikes: 1980 Raleigh Super Record

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
I think so too. I just reread the tubular thread. Frankly, while there were some repeated misconceptions, I didn't find it to be particularly adversarial.

I think that sometimes over the internet it's easy to argue a little too long or little too hard because you miss the non verbal clues that you get in a face to face conversation and can't tell when somebody is starting to get upset.

Recently on the Road Forum I had a set to with a fellow lasting 3 pages or so about the difference between the definitions of "normal" and "common". It got a little chippy at times but it was all in good fun - I think. I know I wasn't offended and I kind of think the other guy was OK too.
I agree with Retro Grouch. Not that anyone cares, but my reaction after checking out the Tubular thread (after the fact) was to wonder what all of the fuss was about. Nothing seemed to get anywhere near the stage of "them's fightin' words"...

To some extent I suppose the OP of the tubular thread was probably playing devil's advocate, and wanting to stir up a bit of a debate. But on the other hand, is sew-ups versus clinchers really worth any sort of strong feelings? I mean, really - it's not like a Trek versus Cannondale debate... (I'm kidding, I'm kidding!)

Perhaps I am jaded from participation in a couple of car forums, where things get much more heated and confrontational.

Then there is this (Monty Python Dirty Fork sketch), to lighten the mood (especially the punch line):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3iSKCRcAwX8
Old 06-10-10, 07:22 PM
Banned.

Bikes: GF Wahoo '05, Trek T1000 '04, Lemond Buenos Aires '07

Liked 7 Times in 2 Posts
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mzlCd...eature=related

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.