Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    My Bikes
    84 Pinarello Trevisio, 86 Guerciotti SLX, 96 Specialized Stumpjumper, 2010 Surly Cross Check, 86 Centurion Ironman, 88 Centurion Prestige
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unpadded cycling shorts/tights

You know, I have been a cyclist since I was a kid and have only owned a handful of padded bike shorts/tights. I have a number of pair of old Scott Tinley bike shorts that are unpadded. In fact, all of my cycling cloths are unpadded. Back in the 80s and early 90s when I was into the what is now intermediate distance triathlons (25 mile bike) I just wore my Speedo swimsuit as was very common then for the entire event with just a singlet added for the ride and run.

It has been my experience that padded shorts just don't do anything for me but bunch up and look stupid. Is it just me?

BTW, the three bikes I ride the most all have currently BG Avatar 145mm saddles but I have used Stella leather/plastic and many others in the past and no padding.

Sources of unpadded cycling short would be nice if you have any?
    Steel is Real

I was once told that only _ussies needed lower than 42/21 gearing.

Steel Bike Club Member 212

Pinarello Trevisio, Guerciotti SLX, Centurion Ironman Expert, Centurion Prestige, Surly Cross Check, 96 aluminum Stumpjumper and some other stuff

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think it's just you, "iron-butt".
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Protect the soft tissue!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey it's your junk, do what you want.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My understanding - probably wrong - is that the chamois is not for padding, but to absorb excess moisture and what have you.

I've got a friend, 75, who rides all the trails in, essentially, a Speedo. Former participant of some sort in the TDF, beats the heck out of me. And he rides on a 50's restored 10 speed. He must weigh all of 110 lbs, if that much. He generally rides 40 miles.

My Bikes
    Trek 2100, Trek 960, Trek 2300, Novara Randonee, Specialized Langster
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I sit on a padded saddle, not one of those super hard things, so I'm sure most of the softening is in my saddle and not in my shorts. I ride in street clothes sometimes and notice no difference in comfort.
    Trek 2300
    Trek 2100

My Bikes
    Trek Domane 4.5, Trek 1500
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have never had an issue with good padded shorts. Most of my shorts are Pearl Izumi, with a couple from Performance.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow. The shorts I bought in 1984 were padded. Not much but they were padded.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Back in the day my Blackbottom shorts only had a chamois, no padding and I rode on a Turbo saddle. Now all my bibs have some padding (Squadra and Pactimo), but my Specialized Toupe saddle isn't padded

My Bikes
    84 Pinarello Trevisio, 86 Guerciotti SLX, 96 Specialized Stumpjumper, 2010 Surly Cross Check, 86 Centurion Ironman, 88 Centurion Prestige
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I guess what I am asking is does anyone else ride with unpadded clothing and if so, what and where as I am having a hard time replacing my increasingly worn clothing, have run through my spares and find nothing but Lycra with these huge depends like pads in them.

I guess maybe I am the only one, I don't hurt, my rear does not get sore, I do not go numb, I have no issues UNLESS I use padded clothing.

I do notice one thing, while I never quit riding, for some time I had not ridden much and due to a job change and other factors my weight had increased to 210 pounds and when I started doing mileage again and getting serious my rear did hurt some initially but now that I am back down to 164 pounds (5-11), I feel fine in the saddle even after many miles including a recent 100 mile ride. I did purchase one and then two more BG Avatar saddles as I said, the saddle is not soft but it feels good and I would rather the saddle do the work for me.

Yes, chamois, unpadded, that would be fine but pure, unpadded chamois shorts are harder to find than unpadded stuff. I would alos like clothing without all of the funny color and graphics

Oh well, maybe go back to the Speedo.
    Steel is Real

I was once told that only _ussies needed lower than 42/21 gearing.

Steel Bike Club Member 212

Pinarello Trevisio, Guerciotti SLX, Centurion Ironman Expert, Centurion Prestige, Surly Cross Check, 96 aluminum Stumpjumper and some other stuff

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BluesDawg View Post
    I think it's just you, "iron-butt".
    +1 I think its just you.
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Always used shorts or bibs with the chamois type liner fitted and they are not for comfort. Dryness is the key word but for one long ride my LBS gave us some of the thick padded shorts as we were going to be out for a long time. (+ the fact they had the shop name on them) They felt awkward to say the least. Walking about looked painfull and that was before the ride. But Butt ache did not come in for a very long time. On the bike they were comfortable and no dampness at all. Rarely wear them though as they are uncomfortable when not on the bike.

But if you look at the cheaper shorts with liners fitted--the liner is only machine stitched. Easy enough to remove the liner without affecting the fit. I have done this on tights as I do not want two liners when wearing shorts underneath. And I went to a general sports shop that carried some more special clothing for sports. In the running section I found Lycra shorts with no padding for running.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Loose Chain View Post
    Sources of unpadded cycling short would be nice if you have any?
    I have found good comfort by using standard compression shorts (like basketball and soccer players wear under their shorts). Any good sporting goods store sells them--and they are a lot less expensive than bicycle shorts). They are just like bike shorts sans padding. Worth a try.

My Bikes
    Specialized Tricross Comp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I guess what I am asking is does anyone else ride with unpadded clothing and if so, what and where as I am having a hard time replacing my increasingly worn clothing, have run through my spares and find nothing but Lycra with these huge depends like pads in them.
    I have a friend who rides at least 5 times a week and has done so for decades. He never wears padded shorts. I wish I could skip them but my butt gets sore...
    Every man is, or hopes to be, an Idler. -- Samuel Johnson

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can buy recumbent cycling shorts without the padding. Actually the cheapest method might be to get shorts on sale at Nashbar of Performance and take the padding out. I have done this this on shorts that I use.

My Bikes
    Bacchetta Corsa, RANS Stratus XP
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like the Insport Brute shorts. They give great support and have an 11 inch inseam, which is longer than most shorts.
    Bud
    * 2009 RANS XStream
    * 2007 RANS Stratus XP
    * 2006 Bacchetta Corsa
    My Blog - uneasy-rider.com

They told me it's ok to post mileage over in the commuting forum, so you'll probably find me there these days.

My Bikes
    confidential infromation that I don't even share with my wife
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think this rider is using padded shorts and it doesn't look as if she is complaining.

http://mediaspot.ospreypacks.com/wp-...2010_Cover.jpg
    oldschool areodynamic brick

Alameda, CA, an island city on the edge of San Francisco Bay
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you want to go really old school, here's a link to some wool shorts. They have an option of no pad, or a real chamois pad.

http://www.kucharikclothing.com/wool...72e8c83a224496

I haven't bought their wool shorts. I have some of their lycra shorts and they're reasonably good quality at a reasonably good price.
    Gunnar Roadie with Campagnolo Centaur
    Breezer Uptown 8

My Bikes
    Several, mostly not name brands.
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Allegheny Jet View Post
    I don't think this rider is using padded shorts and it doesn't look as if she is complaining.

http://mediaspot.ospreypacks.com/wp-...2010_Cover.jpg
    Sure, but she's getting paid to look like she's not suffering.

Many modern saddles are little more than a tiny piece of carbon fiber supported by a couple titanium rails. If you want padding, you have to supply it yourself in your shorts.

In the past, padding was either between the leather top and the plastic shell or integral with the tensioned leather. The chamois was simply for moisture and chafing control.

Why the change? Maybe because moving the padding to the shorts allowed a lighter saddle, so the weight weenies would have something to brag about? How many weight weenies include the weight of their shorts in their calculations?

My Bikes
    '96 Trek 5500 OCLV, '05 Trek 6500 SLR
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh well, maybe go back to the Speedo.
    Loose,
    If you can still wear a Speedo and do so with your wife's blessing, Go for it!
    Personally, since I cannot I will wear padded bike shorts and be grateful...
    Last edited by Old School; 06-29-10 at 12:29 AM.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, "WOW! WHAT A RIDE!"

My Bikes
    '96 Trek 5500 OCLV, '05 Trek 6500 SLR
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by donheff View Post
    I have a friend who rides at least 5 times a week and has done so for decades. He never wears padded shorts...
    Wimp!
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, "WOW! WHAT A RIDE!"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't were padded bike shorts, just regular spandex. I commute 23 miles each way to work 3 or 4 days a week and just did 130 miles with no problem at all. I tried bike shorts but they are just 2 uncomfortable. To each there own.
    Hybrid) Trek FX 7.2
    Road bike) Specialized Secteur Elite
    Mountain bike) Marin Bobcat trail
    Founding member of the Hybrid Forum
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I have thoughts
    Charlie

My Bikes
    Trek 1420 triple, Mercier Corvus, Globe 1 700, Motobecane Gran Turismo , KHS Urban X
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wish I could afford a pair of padded bibs. I did 93 miles last Saturday with a piece of foam from a foot brace in my shorts. It worked well but the hook and loop strips I used to try to hold in place came off. Still it was better than nothing.

My Bikes
    Alex Moulton Double Pylon, Surly Big Dummy, Alex Moulton GT
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Geez, why can't we just have a consensus on what is the best bike, the best saddle and the best sorts. Oh, and did I mention shoes, and pedals, and, oh yes, nutrition ... oh, I was going to say more but I got to finish by brevet.
    The more you drive the less intelligent you are. - Tracy Walter as Miller in Repo Man.

My Bikes
    recumbent & upright
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Check out AeroTech Designs for unpadded shorts & tights.
    Also try J&G Cyclewear for lightly padded touring shorts.
    Use both- the AeroTech short when it is really hot/humid out
    as they have a great feeling like I'm wearing nothing. They also
    make a lightly padded tri short - very comfortable also when hot/humid.
    The J&G touring short is what I usually wear when it is warm out, also hiking,
    swimming, where ever I would wear a "sport" type of short.
    ride long & prosper

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast