Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Unpadded cycling shorts/tights

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-10, 10:08 AM

Bikes: 84 Pinarello Trevisio, 86 Guerciotti SLX, 96 Specialized Stumpjumper, 2010 Surly Cross Check, 88 Centurion Prestige, 73 Raleigh Sports, GT Force, Bridgestone MB4

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 56 Posts

You know, I have been a cyclist since I was a kid and have only owned a handful of padded bike shorts/tights. I have a number of pair of old Scott Tinley bike shorts that are unpadded. In fact, all of my cycling cloths are unpadded. Back in the 80s and early 90s when I was into the what is now intermediate distance triathlons (25 mile bike) I just wore my Speedo swimsuit as was very common then for the entire event with just a singlet added for the ride and run.

It has been my experience that padded shorts just don't do anything for me but bunch up and look stupid. Is it just me?

BTW, the three bikes I ride the most all have currently BG Avatar 145mm saddles but I have used Stella leather/plastic and many others in the past and no padding.

Sources of unpadded cycling short would be nice if you have any?
Old 06-28-10, 10:43 AM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
I think it's just you, "iron-butt".
Old 06-28-10, 11:03 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Protect the soft tissue!
Old 06-28-10, 11:08 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey it's your junk, do what you want.
Old 06-28-10, 11:18 AM
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
My understanding - probably wrong - is that the chamois is not for padding, but to absorb excess moisture and what have you.

I've got a friend, 75, who rides all the trails in, essentially, a Speedo. Former participant of some sort in the TDF, beats the heck out of me. And he rides on a 50's restored 10 speed. He must weigh all of 110 lbs, if that much. He generally rides 40 miles.
Old 06-28-10, 11:33 AM

Bikes: Trek Domane SL5, Trek Checkpoint SL5, Cannndale Trail SE 4, Specialized Langster

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked 134 Times in 72 Posts
I sit on a padded saddle, not one of those super hard things, so I'm sure most of the softening is in my saddle and not in my shorts. I ride in street clothes sometimes and notice no difference in comfort.
Old 06-28-10, 12:26 PM

Bikes: Trek Domane 4.5, Trek 1500

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have never had an issue with good padded shorts. Most of my shorts are Pearl Izumi, with a couple from Performance.
Old 06-28-10, 12:32 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wow. The shorts I bought in 1984 were padded. Not much but they were padded.
Old 06-28-10, 12:48 PM

Bikes: 1975 Albert Eisentraut, 1992 Bill Davidson, 2006 Moots Compact, 2007 KHS Solo-One, 2010 Van Dessel Drag Strip Courage, 2013 Alchemy Xanthus, 2016 Breadwinner Lolo, 2018 Moots VaMoots RSL, 2019 Chapter2 Tere Disc, 2020 Chapter2 Ao Limited Edition

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 16 Posts
Back in the day my Blackbottom shorts only had a chamois, no padding and I rode on a Turbo saddle. Now all my bibs have some padding (Squadra and Pactimo), but my Specialized Toupe saddle isn't padded
Old 06-28-10, 02:06 PM

Bikes: 84 Pinarello Trevisio, 86 Guerciotti SLX, 96 Specialized Stumpjumper, 2010 Surly Cross Check, 88 Centurion Prestige, 73 Raleigh Sports, GT Force, Bridgestone MB4

Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 56 Posts
I guess what I am asking is does anyone else ride with unpadded clothing and if so, what and where as I am having a hard time replacing my increasingly worn clothing, have run through my spares and find nothing but Lycra with these huge depends like pads in them.

I guess maybe I am the only one, I don't hurt, my rear does not get sore, I do not go numb, I have no issues UNLESS I use padded clothing.

I do notice one thing, while I never quit riding, for some time I had not ridden much and due to a job change and other factors my weight had increased to 210 pounds and when I started doing mileage again and getting serious my rear did hurt some initially but now that I am back down to 164 pounds (5-11), I feel fine in the saddle even after many miles including a recent 100 mile ride. I did purchase one and then two more BG Avatar saddles as I said, the saddle is not soft but it feels good and I would rather the saddle do the work for me.

Yes, chamois, unpadded, that would be fine but pure, unpadded chamois shorts are harder to find than unpadded stuff. I would alos like clothing without all of the funny color and graphics

Oh well, maybe go back to the Speedo.
Old 06-28-10, 02:13 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by BluesDawg
I think it's just you, "iron-butt".
+1 I think its just you.
Old 06-28-10, 02:18 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Always used shorts or bibs with the chamois type liner fitted and they are not for comfort. Dryness is the key word but for one long ride my LBS gave us some of the thick padded shorts as we were going to be out for a long time. (+ the fact they had the shop name on them) They felt awkward to say the least. Walking about looked painfull and that was before the ride. But Butt ache did not come in for a very long time. On the bike they were comfortable and no dampness at all. Rarely wear them though as they are uncomfortable when not on the bike.

But if you look at the cheaper shorts with liners fitted--the liner is only machine stitched. Easy enough to remove the liner without affecting the fit. I have done this on tights as I do not want two liners when wearing shorts underneath. And I went to a general sports shop that carried some more special clothing for sports. In the running section I found Lycra shorts with no padding for running.

Spike Milligan
Old 06-28-10, 04:38 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Loose Chain
Sources of unpadded cycling short would be nice if you have any?
I have found good comfort by using standard compression shorts (like basketball and soccer players wear under their shorts). Any good sporting goods store sells them--and they are a lot less expensive than bicycle shorts). They are just like bike shorts sans padding. Worth a try.
Old 06-28-10, 05:03 PM

Bikes: Specialized Tricross Comp, Custom Steel Sport Touring, Specialized Turbo Vado 4.0 SL

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 27 Posts
I guess what I am asking is does anyone else ride with unpadded clothing and if so, what and where as I am having a hard time replacing my increasingly worn clothing, have run through my spares and find nothing but Lycra with these huge depends like pads in them.
I have a friend who rides at least 5 times a week and has done so for decades. He never wears padded shorts. I wish I could skip them but my butt gets sore...
Old 06-28-10, 05:42 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You can buy recumbent cycling shorts without the padding. Actually the cheapest method might be to get shorts on sale at Nashbar of Performance and take the padding out. I have done this this on shorts that I use.
Old 06-28-10, 07:36 PM
Wheezing Geezer

Bikes: Bacchetta Corsa, RANS Stratus XP

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I like the Insport Brute shorts. They give great support and have an 11 inch inseam, which is longer than most shorts.
Old 06-28-10, 08:05 PM

Bikes: confidential infromation that I don't even share with my wife

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I don't think this rider is using padded shorts and it doesn't look as if she is complaining.

https://mediaspot.ospreypacks.com/wp-...2010_Cover.jpg
Old 06-28-10, 08:13 PM

Location: Alameda, CA, an island city on the edge of San Francisco Bay
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you want to go really old school, here's a link to some wool shorts. They have an option of no pad, or a real chamois pad.

https://www.kucharikclothing.com/wool...72e8c83a224496

I haven't bought their wool shorts. I have some of their lycra shorts and they're reasonably good quality at a reasonably good price.
Old 06-28-10, 09:48 PM
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3590 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 1,935 Posts
Originally Posted by Allegheny Jet
I don't think this rider is using padded shorts and it doesn't look as if she is complaining.

https://mediaspot.ospreypacks.com/wp-...2010_Cover.jpg
Sure, but she's getting paid to look like she's not suffering.

Many modern saddles are little more than a tiny piece of carbon fiber supported by a couple titanium rails. If you want padding, you have to supply it yourself in your shorts.

In the past, padding was either between the leather top and the plastic shell or integral with the tensioned leather. The chamois was simply for moisture and chafing control.

Why the change? Maybe because moving the padding to the shorts allowed a lighter saddle, so the weight weenies would have something to brag about? How many weight weenies include the weight of their shorts in their calculations?
Old 06-28-10, 11:23 PM

Bikes: Trek 5500 OCLV, Trek Fuel EX 9

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Oh well, maybe go back to the Speedo.
Loose,
If you can still wear a Speedo and do so with your wife's blessing, Go for it!
Personally, since I cannot I will wear padded bike shorts and be grateful...

Last edited by Old School; 06-28-10 at 11:29 PM.
Old 06-28-10, 11:27 PM

Bikes: Trek 5500 OCLV, Trek Fuel EX 9

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by donheff
I have a friend who rides at least 5 times a week and has done so for decades. He never wears padded shorts...
Wimp!
Old 06-29-10, 12:18 AM

Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
I don't were padded bike shorts, just regular spandex. I commute 23 miles each way to work 3 or 4 days a week and just did 130 miles with no problem at all. I tried bike shorts but they are just 2 uncomfortable. To each there own.
Old 06-29-10, 02:00 AM

Bikes: Trek 1420 triple, Mercier Corvus, Globe 1 700, Surly Disc Trucker, GT Avalanche, GT Grade, GT Helion, Mercier Corvus, Motobacane Boris X7 Fat Bikes,

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I wish I could afford a pair of padded bibs. I did 93 miles last Saturday with a piece of foam from a foot brace in my shorts. It worked well but the hook and loop strips I used to try to hold in place came off. Still it was better than nothing.
Old 06-29-10, 02:17 AM
The Professor

Bikes: Alex Moulton Double Pylon, Surly Big Dummy, Alex Moulton GT, AZUB TiFly

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Geez, why can't we just have a consensus on what is the best bike, the best saddle and the best sorts. Oh, and did I mention shoes, and pedals, and, oh yes, nutrition ... oh, I was going to say more but I got to finish by brevet.
Old 06-29-10, 03:18 AM

Bikes: recumbent & upright

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 31 Posts
Check out AeroTech Designs for unpadded shorts & tights.
Also try J&G Cyclewear for lightly padded touring shorts.
Use both- the AeroTech short when it is really hot/humid out
as they have a great feeling like I'm wearing nothing. They also
make a lightly padded tri short - very comfortable also when hot/humid.
The J&G touring short is what I usually wear when it is warm out, also hiking,
swimming, where ever I would wear a "sport" type of short.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.