Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

My Bikes
    Cervelo R3T // Trek Madone 4.5 // Trek 6000D //Peugeot P6 (1986)//Motobecane Fantom Cross Team Titanium Cyclocross
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Does N + 1 = +1?

My wife has been riding my old Peugeot P6 and we decided it was time to upgrade. At the bike shop, while she was test riding a few bikes, I was admiring both a Cervelo R3 and an RS. Talking about the difference in riding between the two, the salesperson said, "You just need to test ride both and see for yourself". Well, unfortunately, they did not have an R3 in my size and my wife had just decided on the Trek FX 7.5 menís addition (+1). As luck would have it, her frame size is the same as mine, so with a little seat adjustment, guess who can also use it!

Two days later, the shop emails me that they have an R3 that just came in and would I like to stop by and take it and the RS for a spin. Well, who can pass up an opportunity like that, surely not me. A couple of days later, I go back and test ride both bikes and fall in love with both. The R3 is a rocket with great stability and surprising comfort, while the RS is a little more forgiving with the more up right positioning. As I do not race and enjoy long rides (with a little go-fast thrown in), the RS seems perfect.

Now the question, does N + 1 = +1? It is a tough decision!
    Cervelo R3T (Crash Replacement for RS)
    Trek Madone 4.5...........................................Trek 6000D
    Moto Fantom Cross Team Ti..........................Peugeot 1986 - P6

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So you have just bought the wife a New bike and you are wondering if you can stretch to a new bike for yourself?

Feel lucky- I had to buy the wife a new car to warrant getting mine.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't understand the equation, but your wife just had an N+1 and now it sounds like you are getting ready for an N+1 of your own.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

My Bikes
    Cervelo R3T // Trek Madone 4.5 // Trek 6000D //Peugeot P6 (1986)//Motobecane Fantom Cross Team Titanium Cyclocross
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BluesDawg View Post
    I don't understand the equation, but your wife just had an N+1 and now it sounds like you are getting ready for an N+1 of your own.
    Thats it, when you add 1, does it cause you to add another.

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BITSA View Post
    Thats it, when you add 1, does it cause you to add another.
    When you add one, you get a new N. You still need to add one. You will always need to add one. Your wife added one. You haven't added one yet. You'd better get busy.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

My Bikes
    confidential infromation that I don't even share with my wife
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Perhaps this little video I made last spring can help you and your wife understand the N+1 equation. Remember the N+1 equation may have "universal applications".
    http://www.xtranormal.com/watch/6272413/
    oldschool areodynamic brick

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As I remember my algebra,

N+1 = N+1

I assume you and your wife have an "equals" relationship and you need to keep the equation in balance for a happy marriage.
    DnvrFox - still bicycling, swimming, walking and weight lifting at 74yo is participating a bit in BFN 50+.

My Bikes
    RANS V3, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Irregardless of the math equations, we all appreciate your stimulation of the economy.
    RANS V3 (steel), RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

My Bikes
    2009 Chris Boedeker custom, 1988 Tommasini Prestige, 2007 Bill Davidson custom, 1985 Univega Gran Turismo; 1988 Specialized Stumpjumper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Allegheny Jet View Post
    Perhaps this little video I made last spring can help you and your wife understand the N+1 equation. Remember the N+1 equation may have "universal applications".
    http://www.xtranormal.com/watch/6272413/
    Great video! I remember when you made it, but it certainly merits repeat viewings. Am afraid to show it to my wife.

I love it when he says, "I have four bicycles," then lists them all, and then says, "I have six bicycles."

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Off to test ride again, wish me luck!

My Bikes
    Cervelo Prodigy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As far as comfort, both have the similar seat stays. I brought the R3 home for a two day trial over the weekend. That way, I was able to compare my RS to the R3.

I store my RS in the garage hung up on the wall by two brackets holding up the frame. The R3 would barely fit. I say this to confirm the geometry comparison of the two bikes. The RS is more stretched out with the longer chain stays. This doesn't mean that its some kind of touring bike. The RS still moves fast. But with the longer wheelbase, its probably more stable on descents. But if you examine the Cervelo geometry stats, the RS has an extra column for "rake". This tells me that the bike still handles exceedingly well, even though the head tube is longer.

To me the difference between the two is about acceleration and handling, two things the pro riders demand. It was most noticeable during ascents like going through a switchback and off the saddle for a surge on the straightaway afterwards. On flats, not so much tangible difference.

For me the bottom line was it confirmed that the RS I have is a good bike. Good enough that I installed the Rotor chain rings and PSIMET carbon clinchers.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, Garfield Cat

As the following pictures show, I came to the same conclusion yesterday after testing both again. Between yesterday afternoon and this morning, I have already put put in 63 miles (22 yesterday and 40 this morning).

IMG_2663c..jpgIMG_2665c..jpgIMG_2664c..jpg