Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

OT: Generation America vs AARP

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-10, 10:28 AM
Life is good

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Helix Pro

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts

My wife and I tore up our AARP cards over a year ago because of some of the things they support or don't support. This isn't a P&R type thread. No arguing for or against things.
Just curious if anyone here is a member of Generation America. What do you think of it?
https://generationamerica.org/

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.
Old 10-01-10, 10:36 AM
Wheezing Geezer

Bikes: Bacchetta Corsa, RANS Stratus XP

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wow, an anti-Obama 50+ group. What will they think of next...
Old 10-01-10, 10:42 AM

Bikes: A slate grey mountain bike & a grey road bike

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I think....I will be going to The Rally to Restore Sanity on Oct 30th in DC.

https://www.rallytorestoresanity.com/
Old 10-01-10, 10:48 AM
Banned.

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts

How does one spell P&R?
Old 10-01-10, 11:15 AM
Badger Biker

Bikes: Cannondale Saeco CAD-3, Surly Cross Check

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
P&R is spelled politically ridiculous.
Old 10-01-10, 11:44 AM

Bikes: 2009 Chris Boedeker custom; 2007 Bill Davidson custom; 2021 Bill Davidson custom gravel bike; 2022 Specialized Turbo Vado e-bike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by RonH
My wife and I tore up our AARP cards over a year ago because of some of the things they support or don't support. This isn't a P&R type thread. No arguing for or against things.
Just curious if anyone here is a member of Generation America. What do you think of it?
https://generationamerica.org/

I think any organization that chooses Glenn Beck as its spokesman lacks all credibility.

Also -- and I'm just skimming their website briefly -- it looks to me like it's a for-profit company that makes its money from their insurance products, travel club, etc. etc. They have a non-profit arm and lobbying group, but that's just wrapped up inside their profit-making enterprise. So they're using a veneer of (conservative) advocacy to serve as the marketing push for their insurance and other products.

I don't know this for a fact, just 3 minutes of skimming the website. Happy to be corrected if I'm wrong.

BTW, I have nothing against conservative advocacy, I *do* have something against Glenn Beck and against for-profit companies disguising themselves as charities.

( It's sort of like Livestrong -- there is a "non-profit" arm to Livestrong, and a "for profit" side at Livestrong.com. You can donate money to Livestrong.org, or you can spend time at Livestrong.com, where your visits help them sell advertising. Livestrong.com is very much a profit-making organization; Livestrong.org is a charity. You can visit the two websites on your own and conclude for yourself whether you think folks would be confused or not. )

I always look very, very carefully at any product or membership directed toward "older" Americans. I have power of attorney over my mother in law's affairs (she's 90) so I get all of the crap that is mailed to her. There is some kind of sleazy marketing pitch aimed at her in our mailbox almost every day. The B.S. aimed at older Americans is an infinite river of s****.

Just fyi -- I'm not saying AARP is any model of behavior in terms of making clear how much money they make from their profit-oriented activities, either.

Last edited by BengeBoy; 10-01-10 at 12:52 PM.
Old 10-01-10, 12:17 PM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by missjean
I think....I will be going to The Rally to Restore Sanity on Oct 30th in DC.

https://www.rallytorestoresanity.com/
I'll be there in spirit if not physically. Or you could go to the counter-rally, "March to Keep Fear Alive" if that floats yer boat.
Old 10-01-10, 01:01 PM
Banned.

Bikes: GF Wahoo '05, Trek T1000 '04, Lemond Buenos Aires '07

Liked 7 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by BluesDawg
I'll be there in spirit if not physically. Or you could go to the counter-rally, "March to Keep Fear Alive" if that floats yer boat.
Aren't you trying to scare the crap out of other people by labeling your political opponents as fear-mongers and lunatics? And Colbert as your spokeman? Oh come on.

I had to make that point, but otherwise count me out. Put me in the conservative/sympathetic to the OP column, but I'm going to try to ride an imperial century next Saturday and I have to save my energy: no political posting, no sex, and ten hours of sleep a night. I'm already into the carbohydrate loading thing.
Old 10-01-10, 01:15 PM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1400 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by The Weak Link
Aren't you trying to scare the crap out of other people by labeling your political opponents as fear-mongers and lunatics? And Colbert as your spokeman? Oh come on.

I had to make that point, but otherwise count me out. Put me in the conservative/sympathetic to the OP column, but I'm going to try to ride an imperial century next Saturday and I have to save my energy: no political posting, no sex, and ten hours of sleep a night. I'm already into the carbohydrate loading thing.
I never figured you for a ditto head.
Old 10-01-10, 01:29 PM

Bikes: 2011 Trek SOHO Deluxe, and 2010 Specialized Roubaix Expert

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BengeBoy
I think any organization that chooses Glenn Beck as its spokesman lacks all credibility.

Also -- and I'm just skimming their website briefly -- it looks to me like it's a for-profit company that makes its money from their insurance products, travel club, etc. etc. They have a non-profit arm and lobbying group, but that's just wrapped up inside their profit-making enterprise. So they're using a veneer of (conservative) advocacy to serve as the marketing push for their insurance and other products.

I don't know this for a fact, just 3 minutes of skimming the website. Happy to be corrected if I'm wrong.

BTW, I have nothing against conservative advocacy, I *do* have something against Glenn Beck and against for-profit companies disguising themselves as charities.

( It's sort of like Livestrong -- there is a "non-profit" arm to Livestrong, and a "for profit" side at Livestrong.com. You can donate money to Livestrong.org, or you can spend time at Livestrong.com, where your visits help them sell advertising. Livestrong.com is very much a profit-making organization; Livestrong.org is a charity. You can visit the two websites on your own and conclude for yourself whether you think folks would be confused or not. )

I always look very, very carefully at any product or membership directed toward "older" Americans. I have power of attorney over my mother in law's affairs (she's 90) so I get all of the crap that is mailed to her. There is some kind of sleazy marketing pitch aimed at her in our mailbox almost every day. The B.S. aimed at older Americans is an infinite river of s****.

Just fyi -- I'm not saying AARP is any model of behavior in terms of making clear how much money they make from their profit-oriented activities, either.
+1

I also have nothing against conservative advocacy, but the tea baggers and Fox propaganda are way beyond conservative.
Old 10-01-10, 01:31 PM
Banned.

Liked 7 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Terrierman
Did you read my last post correctly? I'M IN TRAINING, DUDE! Knock it off until next Sunday. By then I'll be too tired to respond.
Old 10-01-10, 01:34 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Did you read my last post correctly? I'M IN TRAINING, DUDE! Knock it off until next Sunday. By then I'll be too tired to respond.
Resistance is futile. Does Glen Beck make you want to cry along with him?
Old 10-01-10, 01:36 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I did ... someone posted some mild humour, and he saw it as political and whined until it got moved to P&R.
Old 10-01-10, 01:49 PM
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 964 Times in 628 Posts
AARP = $16/year. Join for one year, get the card, enjoy the discounts, and don't renew if you don't like their politics.

Generation America = $24/year. Get a card that most places won't recognize. Some will like their politics, some won't.

Doing the thrifty bill math, the decision was easy.
Old 10-01-10, 01:49 PM
Banned.

Liked 7 Times in 2 Posts
Fine then. JUST FINE.

I quit. I resign. Forever. I'm burning my membership card to BF because UrSoMeAn. I'm taking my ball and going home. In the words of Cartman, you guys suck.

Well, maybe not forever. Maybe for like three or four weeks. But only if you apologize and start being nice, because mean people suck. And stop calling me a dittohead and a Palinista and a Fox worshipper. Crap, next thing you know you'll accuse me of (gasp! Hide the children, honey, and shutter up the windows) watching the Sean Hannity Show.

There. NOW YOU'VE REALLY DONE IT.

BTW, the mayor of Seattle really is a nut case. Just a little humour. I read it on the Drudge Report, so it must be true.

Truth be told, it depends what's on the tube tonight. If I have to watch reruns of Kate Plus Eight or Project Runway, I guess I'll be back, but only because I might need inspiration for my attempted century. But it won't mean that you're not mean and you don't suck. It's like returning to an abusive relationship. I just can't help myself.

You know those comments I made about how good you look in your over 50 jersey? NONE OF THEM WERE TRUE!

Now buzz off.
Old 10-01-10, 02:02 PM
Artificial Member

Bikes: Retrospec Judd, Dahon Boardwalk, Specialized Langster

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 6766 Post(s)
Liked 5,479 Times in 3,223 Posts
Touchy.
Old 10-01-10, 02:22 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Fine then. JUST FINE.

I quit. I resign. Forever. I'm burning my membership card to BF because UrSoMeAn. I'm taking my ball and going home. In the words of Cartman, you guys suck.

Well, maybe not forever. Maybe for like three or four weeks. But only if you apologize and start being nice, because mean people suck. And stop calling me a dittohead and a Palinista and a Fox worshipper. Crap, next thing you know you'll accuse me of (gasp! Hide the children, honey, and shutter up the windows) watching the Sean Hannity Show.

There. NOW YOU'VE REALLY DONE IT.

BTW, the mayor of Seattle really is a nut case. Just a little humour. I read it on the Drudge Report, so it must be true.

Truth be told, it depends what's on the tube tonight. If I have to watch reruns of Kate Plus Eight or Project Runway, I guess I'll be back, but only because I might need inspiration for my attempted century. But it won't mean that you're not mean and you don't suck. It's like returning to an abusive relationship. I just can't help myself.

You know those comments I made about how good you look in your over 50 jersey? NONE OF THEM WERE TRUE!

Now buzz off.
I don't even have a 50+ jersey. Who are you talking to?
Old 10-01-10, 02:26 PM

Bikes: 2009 Chris Boedeker custom; 2007 Bill Davidson custom; 2021 Bill Davidson custom gravel bike; 2022 Specialized Turbo Vado e-bike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts

BTW, the mayor of Seattle really is a nut case. Just a little humour..
Mayor's name is McGinn. Because of his bike advocacy, his opponents now call him Mayor McSchwinn.
Old 10-01-10, 02:27 PM
Banned.

Liked 7 Times in 2 Posts
I don't even have a 50+ jersey. Who are you talking to?
Well, I couldn't have claimed to have faked the orgasm, so I had to come up with something and that's all I could think of at the moment.

Really, I'd love to chat but I got to finish up at the office or my wife will kill me, and all these issues will become more meaningless than they already are.
Old 10-01-10, 02:32 PM
I need speed

Bikes: Giant Propel, Cervelo P2

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm cracking up... most entertainment from BF in weeks. Nice Post TWL; you're on a roll. Personally, the favorite label I've received has been "feminazi", applied because I didn't automatically characterize an employee's sexual harassment allegations as frivolous, but instead chose to hear both sides of the issue. Oh, and I said something favorable about Anita Hill. This was in a bar in Atlanta (I was a Californian then), and I wasn't sure I'd make it out in one piece. Then I had to tell a guy in Florida the company couldn't pay his membership to a country club that didn't admit women, and that he'd have to re-think having company luncheons where they gathered around the radio to listen to Rush.

And now I live in Arizona. Go figure. I must like abuse as much as TWL.
Old 10-01-10, 04:54 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
What is a "Imperial Century"? Do you wear an Imperial Storm Trooper outfit? Do you drink a shot of Imperial Whiskey every 5 miles? Do you smoke a Imperial Cigar every 20 miles(they a quite expensive). Just asking.
Old 10-01-10, 05:04 PM
wafer thin dream

Bikes: Bianchi Vigorelli, GT ZuM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Define conservative. I live in San Francisco, where even cycling is a political statement; rightly so.

Last edited by peculiarplanet; 10-01-10 at 05:08 PM.
Old 10-01-10, 05:07 PM
Banned.

Liked 7 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by AzTallRider
Nice Post TWL; you're a troll.
fify

I'm glad someone around here appreciates it when I skip the meds for a day or two.

So this is what it comes down to: wife wants "Julia and Julie" on PPV; daughter #1 wants Project Runway (at least Heidi Klum is hot); daughter #2 wants Hanna Montana.

And they wonder why I'm so bitter and cling to guns and religion.

Listen up: metric is for Communists, imperial is for Americans. None of this sissy 62 mile crap. I'm going for the enchilada grande.

Not to derail this thread or anything (geez, I'd be the last one to whine and get this moved to P&R where it belongs, but I caught 8 kinds of Commie Crap the last time I did that) but I have an ethical question. When I sold the ride next week to my wife, I did not say "I'm going to ride 100 miles for no better reason than telling people I don't know and certainly don't like on BF that I did it". I said "I'm going to go on a pretty long ride that will take most of the day".

Was this an ethical lapse?

PS. The family compromised and they're watching "America's next top model" which in spite of the multitude of babes is actually a damn awful show.
Old 10-01-10, 05:13 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Got it, i have not done a century yet, but am working up to it. Maybe this month. Never joined AArp, however i do return their postage paid stuff blank.
Old 10-01-10, 05:14 PM
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Let's see - supppose you told a patient to "Take enough medicine for the rest of the day" instead ot "take two tablets every 4 hours and call another doctor if you have any problems"

Is that an ethical lapse?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.