View Single Post
Old 10-01-10, 11:44 AM
BengeBoy 

Bikes: 2009 Chris Boedeker custom; 2007 Bill Davidson custom; 2021 Bill Davidson custom gravel bike; 2022 Specialized Turbo Vado e-bike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by RonH
My wife and I tore up our AARP cards over a year ago because of some of the things they support or don't support. This isn't a P&R type thread. No arguing for or against things.
Just curious if anyone here is a member of Generation America. What do you think of it?
http://generationamerica.org/

I think any organization that chooses Glenn Beck as its spokesman lacks all credibility.

Also -- and I'm just skimming their website briefly -- it looks to me like it's a for-profit company that makes its money from their insurance products, travel club, etc. etc. They have a non-profit arm and lobbying group, but that's just wrapped up inside their profit-making enterprise. So they're using a veneer of (conservative) advocacy to serve as the marketing push for their insurance and other products.

I don't know this for a fact, just 3 minutes of skimming the website. Happy to be corrected if I'm wrong.

BTW, I have nothing against conservative advocacy, I *do* have something against Glenn Beck and against for-profit companies disguising themselves as charities.

( It's sort of like Livestrong -- there is a "non-profit" arm to Livestrong, and a "for profit" side at Livestrong.com. You can donate money to Livestrong.org, or you can spend time at Livestrong.com, where your visits help them sell advertising. Livestrong.com is very much a profit-making organization; Livestrong.org is a charity. You can visit the two websites on your own and conclude for yourself whether you think folks would be confused or not. )

I always look very, very carefully at any product or membership directed toward "older" Americans. I have power of attorney over my mother in law's affairs (she's 90) so I get all of the crap that is mailed to her. There is some kind of sleazy marketing pitch aimed at her in our mailbox almost every day. The B.S. aimed at older Americans is an infinite river of s****.

Just fyi -- I'm not saying AARP is any model of behavior in terms of making clear how much money they make from their profit-oriented activities, either.

Last edited by BengeBoy; 10-01-10 at 12:52 PM.