Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

OT - Snowblowers.

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

OT - Snowblowers.

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-10, 08:29 PM

Bikes: Domane 5.9, Cannondale Super X, Dedaciai Nuerissimo.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cranky old dude
Oh, I almost forgot...my Troy bilt has electric hand warmers built into the grips.

Laugh all you want, I like 'em!
Everything you see here plus, all nine driveways, was done with my troy bilt .Notice the street isn't done yet. I don't like the hand warmers, I love em!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
CIMG1747..JPG (72.3 KB, 7 views)
Old 11-15-10, 08:52 PM
Sore saddle cyclist

Bikes: Road, touring and mountain

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
Maybe this, no gas, noise or electricity. Called a Sno Wovel, $120 at Amazon dot com

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4f9D75kEaN8
Old 11-15-10, 08:53 PM

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 658 Times in 371 Posts
And for something completely different

With our small garage, we have no room to store a snow blower. When I'm home, I don't mind shoveling our small driveway. Even with a big snowfall, it does not take too long.
But, I spend a lot of time away, and not always there to shovel when it does snow.
So, a few winters back, my wife saw an ad for a neat looking gizmo, and went ahead and ordered it.
I came home one day to find two large boxes in the garage, and a note from my wife asking if I would please assemble her new purchase.
Well, when it was all together, it looked like this.

I couldn't stop laughing. I continually teased her about it, until I actually tried it. Ya know what? It works.
It has limitations, like when the snow beside the driveway gets really deep, it won't throw the snow over, but it will clear a lot of snow in a hurry.
Here's a youtube video of one in action.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGLz1rl1uqQ
Old 11-15-10, 08:56 PM
Sore saddle cyclist

Bikes: Road, touring and mountain

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
Ha ha Dan, great minds and all!
Old 11-15-10, 09:01 PM

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 658 Times in 371 Posts
Originally Posted by Shifty
Ha ha Dan, great minds and all!
Not to mention, with that big bicycle like wheel, it almost brings this thread on topic, ya?
Old 11-16-10, 06:48 PM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
[QUOTE=cyclinfool;11792219]I can understand feeling as you do - it is easy to judge someone's activities when you don't walk a mile in their shoes.
Could I shovel my drive - yes, do I have time to shovel my drive, not always. Many times folks on this forum who are retired forget about what little time us working folk have. Without a machine, if it snows when I am out of town on work my wife would have to shovel the drive, she has done this before and it usually throws her back out and she is in pain for several weeks. If it snows a foot unexpectedly at night, I can't afford an extra hour or two getting into work, if I just drive over it my drive will ice up and I won't be able to make it up the hill.

So although I did not even look at your original post negatively, this second post made me realize just how out of touch some folks are.[/QUOTE]

Do you feel better now that you got that off your chest? I hope so.

As I read it you assume I don't have a schedule. You also assume my current practice isn't what I've always done. That maybe now that I'm "retired" I've got all the time in the world to shovel snow. Bad assumptions all.

First of all with few exceptions I've always looked at the way I live daily life as an opportunity to maintain and improve my fitness. In that regard except for one place we lived I've always shoveled my own snow. If it snows during the night I either get up earlier to shovel, or I am late to work. I did make the concession of a 4WD some years ago so that in a pinch, like getting called out when I was an emergency responder, I could go no matter what. To fully disclose; the 4WD was also needed to launch and retrieve my boat over a gravel river bank.

As for my wife shoveling snow; if I'm going to be gone I make arrangements for someone else to come plow the driveway. I don't expect her to shovel, operate a snow blower or even an ATV with plow. I have to tell you though that is becoming more difficult as it seems that more and more kids aren't willing to do the work and the guys with pickups are busy with bigger, more lucrative jobs.