Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Bike Geometry, fork shape

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-10, 08:23 PM

Bikes: Fantom 29

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Is there a difference in the way a road bike would handle if it had a curved fork, vs. a straight fork?
Old 12-06-10, 09:01 PM
tsl
Plays in traffic

Bikes: 1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax, 2016 Giant Talon 4

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
Within reason, the way it gets from one end to the other shouldn't make a difference in handling, provided the the dropouts are in the same place relative to the steerer. If the rake is the same, the length is the same, and the trail is the same, whether it's straight or curved shouldn't matter at all.

What I can tell you from experience, is that there can be a difference in ride, however how much is attributable to straight vs. curved, and how much is attributable to construction technique leaves a lot open for argument, speculation and interpretation.

Fork leg profile can make a difference in handling to the extent of how much side-to-side movement it allows while cornering. My bikes with Wound Up forks (round fork legs) both seem to track better in corners than my two bikes with the more common thinnish-flattish profile (Time Carbon/Vectran and Easton EC30). Imagine the way a plastic drinking straw is laterally stiffer than a plastic butter knife.

Anyway, that's my experience with carbon forks. It may or may not apply to steel ones.
Old 12-07-10, 12:37 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
In theory the fork rake is all that matters with regard to handling.
Old 12-07-10, 12:51 PM
What??? Only 2 wheels?

Bikes: 72 Peugeot UO-8, 82 Peugeot TH8, 87 Bianchi Brava, 76? Masi Grand Criterium, 74 Motobecane Champion Team, 86 & 77 Gazelle champion mondial, 81? Grandis, 82? Tommasini, 83 Peugeot PF10

Mentioned: 189 Post(s)
Quoted: 1223 Post(s)
Liked 645 Times in 232 Posts
If you include the ability to handle bumps as part of handling, then a curved fork will have more springiness and therefore feel better on bumps.

Actually, it will have more springiness and therefore feel better on bumps whether you do or don't consider handling bumps as part of handling.
Old 12-07-10, 01:08 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Lots of theories about forks- but the main thing is how "Flexible" it is. There will be an optimum for your bike- your riding style and your body. Just changing to a CF. fork will not always cure a harsh ride. Some are so stiff that they may even be solid resin. And CF. can be so flexible that it will drastically affect cornering ability.

And the material does not cause a problem too much. Rigid on the MTB's and I liked a Project ll fork. Made of Chromoly steel for strength and you can visibly see the fork flex on bumps. Took a lot of harshness out as I found out when I used another steel fork on it.

The one material I have never liked was aluminium. To be strong enough the walls had to be thick as Ally does not like bending. And thick ally is harsh.

It is when you get to Race Spec bikes where the ultimate in handling is required that Fork design and Geometry may come into effect. But then you would have to be a top rider to notice that effect.

Spike Milligan
Old 12-07-10, 02:30 PM
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 154 Post(s)
Quoted: 3610 Post(s)
Liked 3,434 Times in 1,952 Posts
While it is true that trail is what determines handling characteristics, handling is not the only concern for a bicycle. Straight fork blades with an offset or angled crown were developed to simplify manufacturing, not because they provided superior handling. A traditional raked fork blade provides a degree of shock absorption that can be tailored by the builder by using different radius for the bend and positioning the bend closer to the dropout or crown. A small radius bend near the dropout provides more shock absorption, while a large radius bend higher on the blade makes a stiffer ride. Straight blade forks provide the least degree of shock absorption, all other things being equal.
Old 12-07-10, 03:11 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Keep in mind that material also makes a difference. A carbon fiber fork may have less shock absorption with the same bend than say that of a chrome molly fork.
Old 12-07-10, 03:27 PM

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1514 Post(s)
Liked 735 Times in 456 Posts
I once saw a video of pros riding over cobbles. In slow motion, it was shocking how much the forks moved front-to-back to absorb the shock. Moreover, the curved blades flexed more and the flex was more distributed.

Oh, as long as the dropouts are occupying the same space relative to the head tube, whether the fork legs are curved or straight doesn't affect the geometry.
Old 12-07-10, 03:51 PM
Climbing Above It All

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I really wouldn't over think the whole fork issue. Just get a good well respected fork like the Edge 2.0 in the offset needed and be done with it.
Old 12-08-10, 03:03 AM
Boomer

Bikes: Diamondback Clarity II frame homebuilt.

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 16098 Post(s)
Liked 1,457 Times in 1,064 Posts
It would seem that differences in forks can be used to tune your bikes handling............
Old 12-08-10, 08:05 AM

Bikes: 2012 Scorpion FX trike, 2016 Catrike 700

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BikeWNC
I really wouldn't over think the whole fork issue. Just get a good well respected fork like the Edge 2.0 in the offset needed and be done with it.
Did that. Have the big hole in my checkbook to prove it.
Actually, this is my second Edge fork. I did not believe there was a difference in forks until I owned and rode an Edge. Now have the 2.0.
Old 12-11-10, 09:38 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks tsl. I was just looking at some different bikes at Bikesdirect and Giantnerd, and started to notice some road bikes use different shapes, and I had never noticed that before.

Good analogy with the straw, that absolutely helped me to visualize your point.

Good discussion on this. I was trying to figure out if it was a mere cosmetic preference.

Last edited by Garilia; 12-11-10 at 09:41 PM.
Old 12-12-10, 10:44 AM
XR2

Bikes: 88 Bridgestone T700

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
A straight blade fork will have a different polar moment but if you can notice it lay off the caffeine.
Old 12-12-10, 02:04 PM

Bikes: Trek 5500 OCLV, Trek Fuel EX 9

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by XR2
A straight blade fork will have a different polar moment but if you can notice it lay off the caffeine.
PERFECT! I doubt any of us could tell the difference in handling between a straight and curved fork if we were blindfolded. But it would be a fun experiment to watch!
Old 12-12-10, 08:51 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Old School
PERFECT! I doubt any of us could tell the difference in handling between a straight and curved fork if we were blindfolded. But it would be a fun experiment to watch!
Blindfolded is probably the only way I could tell the difference! My eyes tend to distract my kinesthetic sense.
Old 12-12-10, 11:31 PM
What??? Only 2 wheels?

Bikes: 72 Peugeot UO-8, 82 Peugeot TH8, 87 Bianchi Brava, 76? Masi Grand Criterium, 74 Motobecane Champion Team, 86 & 77 Gazelle champion mondial, 81? Grandis, 82? Tommasini, 83 Peugeot PF10

Mentioned: 189 Post(s)
Quoted: 1223 Post(s)
Liked 645 Times in 232 Posts
Originally Posted by Old School
I doubt any of us could tell the difference in handling between a straight and curved fork if we were blindfolded. But it would be a fun experiment to watch!
For both these statements: Only if the experimenter is riding.