Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

My new ride

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-11, 04:31 PM

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 30 Posts
I didn't read your long post, but have fun with the new ride. I looks great.
Old 04-17-11, 04:36 PM
gone ride'n

Bikes: Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have an old GF MTB, it's been and still is a good bike. I never thought of GF as a road brand. Did you get the double or triple crankset?

BTW - when I write a long post I usually copy it (select the text and then hit control - C) and that way if I have to log back in I can past it without having to retype it.
Old 04-17-11, 05:02 PM
R_Z

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nice looking bike. Enjoy the ride!
Old 04-17-11, 05:04 PM
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by NebrVandal
I'm a 53-year old geezer. After a decade hiatus of road biking, I got my hands on a Scott CR-1 Team, and I love it!
Sigh!
Old 04-17-11, 06:55 PM

Bikes: Trek Pilot 5.9

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Did you get the double or triple crankset?
I got the double crankset. I didn't see the need for the triple.

I brought the new "steed" home this afternoon. I had ordered a bike rack last weekend, and I went in to the LBS today to pick up the bike rack and the new bike.

Unfortunately, my new bike rack wasn't in yet. The salesman was very apologetic, said he has been having difficulty with his Thule rep, and loaned me another Thule model they had in the store so I could get my bike home.

I bought a lot of other gear while I was there (as I said in my first post, I am getting back into cycling after 30+ years, so I am basically starting from scratch).

The biggest decision for me had to do with pedals. I decided to bite the bullet and give clipless pedals a try. I have a tiny bit of apprehension about this, but the bike store did a good job of measuring me and letting me try the pedals with my bike on rollers, and they seem pretty manageable. I got Shimano 105's. I'll just have to spend an hour or two in a deserted parking lot practicing mounting and dismounting.

I got everything but jerseys and gloves. I tried on nearly every model of glove they had, but none seemed to suit me. I don't really like the gel gloves which seem to be in vogue these days--they seemed too bulky. I am going to have to visit some other stores and see what they have in stock.

I am looking forward to getting out on the new bike this week. My company gives us Good Friday as a holiday, so I will have a three-day weekend. I should be able to get in my inaugural ride.
Old 04-17-11, 08:46 PM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by cyclinfool
I have an old GF MTB, it's been and still is a good bike. I never thought of GF as a road brand.
It's not too surprising that road bikes would be added to the Fisher line. Gary Fisher was a road bike racer before he became one of the originators of the mountain bike.
Old 04-18-11, 12:45 AM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Don't know about the Gary Fisher but like many here-I know the Roubaix. If the GF is as good as the Roubaix you got a goodun.

Spike Milligan
Old 06-05-11, 08:29 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here's a photo of my new bike. I don't own a digital camera--my niece, who was visiting me today, took this for me.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
my_bike.jpg (95.1 KB, 284 views)
Old 06-06-11, 08:07 AM
Council of the Elders

Bikes: 1990 Schwinn Crosscut, 5 Lemonds

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Banded Krait
Here's a photo of my new bike. I don't own a digital camera--my niece, who was visiting me today, took this for me.

Very attractive ride there! Good color and lines....
Old 06-06-11, 10:07 AM

Bikes: 2011 Trek SOHO Deluxe, and 2010 Specialized Roubaix Expert

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I really enjoyed reading about your selection process. I am happy you bought a bicycle that fit you well. The bicycle looks great. What kind of pedals did you buy? If you still have more disposable income, I suggest you buy a Garmin Edge 800.
Old 06-06-11, 10:09 AM

Bikes: 2011 Trek SOHO Deluxe, and 2010 Specialized Roubaix Expert

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I posted before I saw the photo with the pedals.
Old 06-06-11, 07:59 PM
Legs; OK! Lungs; not!

Bikes: ''09 Motobecane Immortal Pro (Yellow), '02 Diamondback Hybrid, '09 Lamborghini Viaggio, ''11 Cervelo P2

Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Banded Krait
No, that’s not the case. I actually tried to post some more yesterday evening. That was when I discovered a rather annoying bug—err, feature—of the software behind this forum. Apparently there is an unadvertised inactivity time limit...... Any suggestions as to how to avoid this in the future? ....
Been there, done that. If I'm writing a ride report or some long reply I will write it in Notepad and then cut and paste it into my post or reply. Another option for shorter posts is to select it all, press "crtl C" then press "End" tp deselect the text and keep writing. This saves everything up to when you did ctrl C so you don't loose everything. Also, select all and press ctrl c just before you press the press the Post button.
Old 06-06-11, 08:07 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Eventually I found a way to turn off the inactivity time-out function. It depends on a "cookie" on one's computer in order to function. After I deleted the cookie, this ceased to function, and I remain logged-on all the time.

My browser is Firefox. Here's how I did it: Menu -->Tools -->Options -->Show Cookies. I searched for all cookies under the Bike Forums domain and deleted (Removed) them.
Old 06-08-11, 03:18 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Were you able to compare the Cronus with any Madones? I'll probably be making a similar purchase later in the year. I think I understand about that 'every bit of power' being transferred to the bike, as I feel that with my Trek 7.9FX bike. I also have a specialized Roubaix [2008]...and just as you say, it too is a nice bike, but there is that 'feel' to the Trek FX that is hard to explain well; that 'push' forward or something with every stroke. Which is why I'm interested in the madones...and the Cronus is also a Trek product now [probably using same parts, like bottom brackets etc], and I've thought about that direction too [the Cronus might be a better value]. Great post and thread BTW...and very considerate to help others here. Bike fit is so important (just ask my neck after 40 miles, ha) I'm thinking about heading to Jacksonville to fork out bucks for a professional fitting before I buy. Thanks.