Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Best way to watch the TdF?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Best way to watch the TdF?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-11, 01:12 PM
ES&D

Bikes: 3Rensho, Merlin XL, Melton custom, Michael Johnson tandem, Look 481SL, Pedal Force RS

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You guys with HDTV, Eurosport, E-I-E-I-O coverage SUCK! [he says, as he slinks away to his old skool 20" CRT indestructable TV...]
Old 06-28-11, 03:28 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
https://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/434409...ports-cycling/
Old 06-28-11, 03:48 PM
Retired USAF, C-130 Guy

Bikes: Shopping

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
On my 55" LED HD TV, yeah right I'm married... So it's to the spare room to watch it on a 47" LED HD TV.. The races I have watched so far this year look crazy good in HD...
Old 06-28-11, 07:39 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Went to Best Buy today and looked at an 20" HP flatscreen LCD screen on sale for a good price. Then I found an HP 23" flatscreen LCD screen online, also on sale. Both are HD. However, the 23" has two 2W built-in speakers. Wonder if they could be turned off, because I much prefer the sound over my headphones, and the speakers would probably just annoy my family as the Tour will be on for extended periods at all times of the day and night. So I'm still in "find a good monitor" mode.
Old 06-28-11, 08:25 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
......what the best way is you've found to follow the race.
Stoned..........with a big box of chocolate chip cookies.
Old 06-28-11, 10:13 PM
Council of the Elders

Bikes: 1990 Schwinn Crosscut, 5 Lemonds

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Brad,
I think you have the right idea. I did it that way last year and it worked fine. My cable package does not have Versus, so the internet route is a good choice. There were no technical problems at all.
D
Old 06-28-11, 10:19 PM

Bikes: confidential infromation that I don't even share with my wife

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Here is a view from the saddle of a 105" screen from 13' back. Can't wait for the Tour.
Old 06-29-11, 04:17 AM

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 313 Posts
I put my helmet and gloves on, plop myself down in front of the big screen and turn up the surround sound really loud.
Old 06-29-11, 04:24 AM

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1861 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 507 Posts
Originally Posted by rideon7
I've not watched the Tour de France the last couple of years, except for the limited free clips that I was able to catch on streaming video on the net, but this year I've decided that I really want to follow the whole Tour. Since I'm not going to get on a plane and actually follow it around France, the next best thing is going to be to watch it via the internet. This year Phil Liggett and Paul Sherwen are going to be my friends! I don't have cable television; in fact, I don't have television at all, so I'm opting for the full internet access deal with versus.com for $29.95. What a deal!

I'm wondering how others, or *if* others, are watching the tour this year, and what the best way is you've found to follow the race.
From the saddle of a bike, just in front of the peleton.
Old 06-29-11, 05:41 AM
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
At home on my 32" LCD with DirecTV and the Versus HD channel. My recliner with theside table for my laptop handy and a cold soda are hard for me to beat.

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Old 06-29-11, 12:25 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There were some problems at first with the internet feed on the first day but they got that fixed quick,and i received a appology from versus.All good after that.
Old 06-29-11, 01:27 PM

Bikes: Old Bike: 1975 Raleigh Delta, New Bike: 2004 Norco Bushpilot

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
I feel that given the opportunity to spend 2 hours on my bike, or watching some one else on his, I would rather ride. There are a few other activities like that, golf, fishing, bowling and (that last one is a team sport).
Old 06-29-11, 01:42 PM

Location: Pennsylvania and Colorado - Snowbird with bad sense of direction & humor... Retired now Ski Bum... My Ride - Montague - Paratrooper

Bikes: Montague - Paratrooper

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Had the chance to see the TDF while sitting in sidewalk cafe back in the 80's.

Looked down to take a bite of croissant and missed the whole race.

TV coverage is better. You get to see the whole (somewhat boring) stage. Maybe even three or four times a day.

Might take a day trip to see a stage of the USA Pro Cycling Challenge (Colorado). Need to fine a spot where I can fish while waiting for the race.
Old 06-29-11, 03:21 PM
Broom Wagon Fodder

Bikes: Fuji Supreme; Kona Wo; Nashbar road frame custom build; Schwinn Varsity; Nishiki International; Schwinn Premis, Falcon Merckx, American Flyer muscle bike, Motobecane Mulekick

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by CraigB
I watch it every year. We have cable and Tivo and I almost always opt for the live early morning coverage. As entertaining as I find Bobke, I find I get more consistent enjoyment out of the broadcasts that are mainly Phil and Paul. Tivo, or another DVR that lets you zip through repetitive commercials and the annoyingly overlong and melodramatic music/graphics that precede and follow each commercial break, is essential, IMO.
+1

Depending on my schedule for the day I sometimes choose to switch the recording to the evening re-broadcast that crams all the action into a 2 or 3 hour segment. If I have to do something after work and will not be able to watch until the next day, I opt for the shorter broadcast so that I can get it all in before I go to work so that I don't get behind.

On days when it's a high mountain stage a co-worker and I go to a local sports bar that has little business during the day and get them to switch a TV to Versus so we can watch the first rebroadcast of the day's events. This bit us in the ass last year when they would only put one TV in a giant bank of them on Le Tour and we saw the finish in a recap on another station. Oh that made me mad. We just finished eating fast and left. Now I make sure the TV is off to the side so we don't have it all spoiled for us.

My main frustration with the coverage is that Phil and Paul only have access to the French feed so often they won't know what's really going on -- like is the guy they are isolated on in front or was he just dropped. This was evident in the Tour de Suisse when that Rabobank rider flatted and was trying to chase back to the lead group. It took them a bit to figure out where he was and they didn't know what really happened until much later (they thought he'd been inattentive on a cat 3 climb and got gapped). While I understand this for some of the races where they are simply calling it from a studio that isn't even in the same country as the race, they send them to each town in Le Tour. It really would be nice to provide them with a little better information and maybe a director who could flip them between the different cameras.

Bob
Old 06-29-11, 03:34 PM
I need speed

Bikes: Giant Propel, Cervelo P2

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by stapfam
Been to France to watch the Tour and the only way to watch it is in a bar in a small town that has a decent size TV. After about the 3rd day the trips to the bar get cheaper as if you are in a wine growing region- the locals bring in their own wine from their own vineyards in 5 litre plastic containers. When they realise that you are really interested in the TDF- a glass is put in front of you by "One" of the locals- normally a 1/2 pint glass- and you join their enthusiasm for the sport. Next day and it gets better as one of the other locals trys to outdo his neighbour and brings in a better quality of Plonk for you to sample. Then it gets to all out war and you are plied with flagons of wine that are absolutely superb. All you have to do is make certain the bar is within walking distance of where you are staying as you won't be driving back.
Stapfam has everyone else beat in a multi-minute breakaway. I vote that he organizes a 50+ trip to France next year, to one of these small town bars. We can bring or rent bikes, and do some (drunken) riding, too.
Old 06-29-11, 03:49 PM

Bikes: n + 1

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by bigbadwullf
Versus' coverage is awesome.
Not any more. Several years ago, they dropped coverage of the Giro and Vuelta, (except for a recap show on Sunday afternoon). That first year, I paid for a month RAI to get the Giro, and in September I had to drop my gringo programming to get Dish Latino Max, which has TVE for the Vuelta.

Phooey on that. I now have nothing ... and miss it terribly. Saving about $90 a month, but I miss the cycling and tennis on The Tennis Channel. Roku is okay for some stuff, but not sports. I'm just about ready to get Dish again.
Old 06-29-11, 04:39 PM

Bikes: Rawlings Drakkar, Specialized Roubaix, Pivot, Challenge Trike, Tandem

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
On l'Alp d'Huez we sat in the bar and watched until they were 3km down the road. Then stepped out front to watch it all go by.
That is best way I know.
Old 06-29-11, 05:54 PM

Bikes: 1997 Specialized M2Pro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Allegheny Jet
If you watch the Tour on your computer, via the Versus internet feed, can you record it? My laptop has a port to connect to the projector. In a perfect world this would work nicely as I could select various stages to match my workouts or mood.
I sometimes record computer stuff to my old Panasonic DVR. It's not simple, so I need to keep these notes on how to do it.
Set up s-video cable:

Attach cable ("e" in cable is at the top)

Choose display properties, settings. Set the resolution for display #2 to 1024 x 768. Right click on the 2 screen, and choose Attached. Click Apply.

If things don't work unattach it and start again. Make sure cable is plugged in.

Set DVR to L2 (you should see the screen saver image) and connect the s-video and audio cables to the front port of the Panasonic DVR.

Make sure volumes are maxed out on the computer (hulu volume and computer volume)

Make sure laptop is plugged in via 3-prong (no ground)

Press Record on DVR multiple times to have it turn off after, say, 2 hours.

Start Movie
Put hulu window over on tv screen
click full screen

-----------

Note: steephill.tv, not steephill.com
Old 06-30-11, 11:34 AM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by AzTallRider
Stapfam has everyone else beat in a multi-minute breakaway. I vote that he organizes a 50+ trip to France next year, to one of these small town bars. We can bring or rent bikes, and do some (drunken) riding, too.
I should be retired by the TDF next year and just say the word and I'll be sitting in the bar educating you about the finer points of Pierres Plonk over Guillaumes Vintage Vinegar.

Spike Milligan
Old 06-30-11, 12:04 PM
your god hates me

Bikes: 2016 Richard Sachs, 2010 Carl Strong, 2006 Cannondale Synapse

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1270 Post(s)
Liked 1,302 Times in 719 Posts
Originally Posted by alcanoe
I've got the same problem with expense vs the number of channels watched. I had to go to a higher option on Direct TV to get Versus which is useless to us except for a few bike races. The wife insisted on getting the TdF on TV. With HD and a DVR it's big $'s.
We just upgrade our service every year for the month of July only...and then downgrade it back to Basic as soon as the Tour is over. That way we don't worry about the Expense vs Number Of Channels ratio, we just consider it a one-time fee for the privilege (sic) of being able to watch the TdF at home.
Old 06-30-11, 02:18 PM
I need speed

Bikes: Giant Propel, Cervelo P2

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I should be retired by the TDF next year and just say the word and I'll be sitting in the bar educating you about the finer points of Pierres Plonk over Guillaumes Vintage Vinegar.
Pretty darned tempting. Nothing much better than hanging out in bar, having some good drinks and food, and lieing about cycling feats. There could actually be enough interest here for it happen!
Old 06-30-11, 03:59 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wish Universal Sports would broadcast at least a daily summary of the TdF. They are free on-air digital sub-channel of NBC (not HD) in the Atlanta market. They do cover a lot of the classics/euro races as well as cyclocross and track events, and most importantly cover the Giro and Vuelta.

Our condo satellite service dropped Versus a few years ago, so I bought the paid coverage for the laptop and iPhone last year, was acceptable with only a few blips. The Versus/NBC website indicates that the iPhone app is "coming soon", which I hope means before Saturday! Will try to connect the laptop to the HDTV to watch live/recorded as an experiment...
Old 07-01-11, 05:30 PM

Bikes: 1997 Specialized M2Pro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I found that it would cost $50 to add the Versus channel for one month to our Suddenlink cable lineup. Forget it.
Old 07-01-11, 06:21 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a standing rule not to get on airplanes (it's actually the airports that are so unpleasant), but a Europe trip for 50+ers next year is very, very tempting. What could be cooler than watching the TdF with a bunch of people all sharing the same interest--and basically the same age?
Old 07-01-11, 06:22 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TromboneAl
I found that it would cost $50 to add the Versus channel for one month to our Suddenlink cable lineup. Forget it.
Get all access via the internet on versus.com for $29.95.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.