Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Best way to watch the TdF?

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Old 06-27-11, 02:13 PM
rideon7

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I've not watched the Tour de France the last couple of years, except for the limited free clips that I was able to catch on streaming video on the net, but this year I've decided that I really want to follow the whole Tour. Since I'm not going to get on a plane and actually follow it around France, the next best thing is going to be to watch it via the internet. This year Phil Liggett and Paul Sherwen are going to be my friends! I don't have cable television; in fact, I don't have television at all, so I'm opting for the full internet access deal with versus.com for $29.95. What a deal!

I'm wondering how others, or *if* others, are watching the tour this year, and what the best way is you've found to follow the race.
Old 06-27-11, 02:47 PM
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Been to France to watch the Tour and the only way to watch it is in a bar in a small town that has a decent size TV. After about the 3rd day the trips to the bar get cheaper as if you are in a wine growing region- the locals bring in their own wine from their own vineyards in 5 litre plastic containers. When they realise that you are really interested in the TDF- a glass is put in front of you by "One" of the locals- normally a 1/2 pint glass- and you join their enthusiasm for the sport. Next day and it gets better as one of the other locals trys to outdo his neighbour and brings in a better quality of Plonk for you to sample. Then it gets to all out war and you are plied with flagons of wine that are absolutely superb. All you have to do is make certain the bar is within walking distance of where you are staying as you won't be driving back.

But over here we have Eurosport on Satellite. Coverage is for most of the days events and highlights for an hour or so in the evening. Only costs a few $$s a month for the subscription and the only drawback is that one of the commentators is Sean Kelly. One of the most boring voices in sport but his knowledge is fantastic. Surprising what you can pick up from him as tips but I am afraid I want Phil back. His commentary is superb.

Spike Milligan
Old 06-27-11, 02:52 PM
CraigB
Starting over

Bikes: 1990 Trek 1500; 2006 Gary Fisher Marlin; 2011 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 105; 2012 Catrike Trail

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I watch it every year. We have cable and Tivo and I almost always opt for the live early morning coverage. As entertaining as I find Bobke, I find I get more consistent enjoyment out of the broadcasts that are mainly Phil and Paul. Tivo, or another DVR that lets you zip through repetitive commercials and the annoyingly overlong and melodramatic music/graphics that precede and follow each commercial break, is essential, IMO.
Old 06-27-11, 03:25 PM
alcanoe

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I saw my first tour stage in 1950 on a long stretch of rural road. Took several hours on a motorcycle to get there.

We've had high definition Direct TV with a HD DVR ever since they started broacasting it in high def. Bought a higher level 46" Panasonic plasma tv then as well. The image quality is astounding.

If we didn't have a DVR, we couldn't watch it. There's more commercial plus "features" time then racing. We not only can time-shift and get on with our lives for those three weeks (plus the other stage races and classics Versus carries), but we spend far less time sitting in front of the TV. The fast forward is blazingly fast.

Al
Old 06-27-11, 03:32 PM
Doohickie 
You gonna eat that?

Bikes: 1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 25 Posts
Just read the pcad thread on the TdF that he will inevitably start.

Originally Posted by bragi "However, it's never a good idea to overgeneralize."
Old 06-27-11, 03:43 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 602 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 165 Posts
This quote from Outside magazine's website: "Liggett’s breathless accounts of meaningless sprint finishes"
I try to, at the very least, watch the finish of each stage. They are often exciting in their own way, even if I haven't been paying attention to the racing.
Old 06-27-11, 04:04 PM
RonH
Life is good

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Helix Pro

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
I'm watching it in HD on Versus. If I miss a stage early in the day it will be replayed an hour or two later. Usually replayed 3 or 4 times during the day.

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.
Old 06-27-11, 05:24 PM
DougG
Road Runner

Bikes: 2017 Felt VR5, 2013 Specialized Crosstrail, 2020 Specialized Vado 4.0

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 14 Posts
The only thing I miss switching from DirecTV to DISH is that I can't watch the TdF on Versus. Yes, I could get Versus if I went with a higher level of programming, but the service is expensive enough as it is considering we only watch about a dozen out of 250 channels now.
Old 06-27-11, 06:02 PM
rideon7

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by stapfam View Post
. . . Next day and it gets better as one of the other locals trys to outdo his neighbour and brings in a better quality of Plonk for you to sample. Then it gets to all out war and you are plied with flagons of wine that are absolutely superb. All you have to do is make certain the bar is within walking distance of where you are staying as you won't be driving back.

I am afraid I want Phil back. His commentary is superb.
The wine and the whole scene sounds great. Really, really great. Not an option for me, but that's okay. And what about Phil, then? Is he not doing commentary on the Tour any longer?
Old 06-27-11, 06:06 PM
rideon7

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Tivo, DVR, HD--it's a world of technology out there that I can't take on at this point. Reading the responses, though, reminds me that I could attach a larger screen (24"?) to my laptop and watch the Tour that way. Would be nice to see it on a larger screen.

One attraction I'm looking forward to on watching it on versus.com is that I can tune in at any time--live early in the mornings or during one of the day's reruns. Wondering if there will be ads running on the paid all access since it is, well, paid.
Old 06-27-11, 06:59 PM
alcanoe

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DougG View Post
The only thing I miss switching from DirecTV to DISH is that I can't watch the TdF on Versus. Yes, I could get Versus if I went with a higher level of programming, but the service is expensive enough as it is considering we only watch about a dozen out of 250 channels now.
I've got the same problem with expense vs the number of channels watched. I had to go to a higher option on Direct TV to get Versus which is useless to us except for a few bike races. The wife insisted on getting the TdF on TV. With HD and a DVR it's big $'s.

Al
Old 06-27-11, 07:18 PM
lhbernhardt
Dharma Dog

Bikes: Rodriguez Shiftless street fixie with S&S couplers, Kuwahara tandem, Trek carbon, Dolan track

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I really wish Phil would learn how to pronounce the non-English names. His play-by-play is superb, and Paul is an absolute fount of knowledge, but it would be nice if Phil learned how to speak other Euro languages, especially Italian!

L.
Old 06-27-11, 08:11 PM
sarals 
Idiot Emeritus

Bikes: Yes.

Mentioned: 228 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by lhbernhardt View Post
I really wish Phil would learn how to pronounce the non-English names. His play-by-play is superb, and Paul is an absolute fount of knowledge, but it would be nice if Phil learned how to speak other Euro languages, especially Italian!

L.
I have to giggle at that reply, because I agree! I love Phil to death, he knows the sport, the riders, tactics, and geography, but pronunciation? Ummm....oops! When the TOC went through here on the Fifth Stage, the peloton climbed and descended a stretch road called "Laureles Grade". That one is easy, yes it's Spanish, but it's easy - as my mother beat into my head when I was a child, Sound It Out. Phil couldn't, he could NOT get it right!! It was almost comedic.
Old 06-27-11, 08:34 PM
BluesDawg
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 16 Posts
I'll be watching in HD on Versus via DirecTV, either live or on DVR from the live broadcast. Some days I will also watch the evening telecast with Bobke just for a different perspective. I can't get enough of it.

The hardest part is avoiding spoilers on the days I have to work and watch it later on the DVR.
Old 06-27-11, 09:37 PM
big john

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2451 Post(s)
Liked 1,831 Times in 1,022 Posts
I always watch the TDF on Versus and if I'm not busy at work I'll watch it on steephill.com. I also love the Giro and the Vuelta.
Old 06-28-11, 07:51 AM
Sculptor7

Bikes: Trek 1.1

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I think all of the announcers are superb. How they can detail the action so rapidly is beyond me. Speaking of mispronunciation has anyone else picked up on Paul Sherwen's pronunciation of "bike"? Swear he is saying, "bite". Does not matter they are all good. The endless breaks for commercials are pretty hard to take, however.
Old 06-28-11, 07:58 AM
CraigB
Starting over

Bikes: 1990 Trek 1500; 2006 Gary Fisher Marlin; 2011 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 105; 2012 Catrike Trail

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by sarals View Post
I have to giggle at that reply, because I agree! I love Phil to death, he knows the sport, the riders, tactics, and geography, but pronunciation? Ummm....oops! When the TOC went through here on the Fifth Stage, the peloton climbed and descended a stretch road called "Laureles Grade". That one is easy, yes it's Spanish, but it's easy - as my mother beat into my head when I was a child, Sound It Out. Phil couldn't, he could NOT get it right!! It was almost comedic.
I always enjoy hearing about the "Leaky Gas" team. I'd hate to get caught in the peloton behind them. Then there's Bobke's pronunciation of the whole event: turr-dee-frants.
Old 06-28-11, 08:17 AM
Allegheny Jet

Bikes: confidential infromation that I don't even share with my wife

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Not to steal the thread but a question to those who will watch the Tour on the internet. I have Versus at home on the cable but our DVR players will only keep a show for so long then the box resets or updates itself for one reason or another and the recorded shows are gone. We have a projector TV in the basement that I watch while on the trainer or rollers and watching cycling races and listening to great music has proven the ticket to pain and time distractions.

If you watch the Tour on your computer, via the Versus internet feed, can you record it? My laptop has a port to connect to the projector. In a perfect world this would work nicely as I could select various stages to match my workouts or mood.
Old 06-28-11, 08:40 AM
alcanoe

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Allegheny Jet View Post
Not to steal the thread but a question to those who will watch the Tour on the internet. I have Versus at home on the cable but our DVR players will only keep a show for so long then the box resets or updates itself for one reason or another and the recorded shows are gone. We have a projector TV in the basement that I watch while on the trainer or rollers and watching cycling races and listening to great music has proven the ticket to pain and time distractions.

Interesting. Our HD DVR with Direct TV will keep it indefinitely. You are alo supposedly able to attach an external hard drive to get even more recording time.

Al
Old 06-28-11, 08:59 AM
CraigB
Starting over

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Our Tivo will keep programs until it needs the space, but even then, if you mark it to keep it until you delete it, it's supposed to do so. We also can transfer it to another hard drive through the home network for archiving to DVD or watching on the computers.
Old 06-28-11, 09:09 AM
Allegheny Jet

Bikes: confidential infromation that I don't even share with my wife

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by alcanoe View Post
Interesting. Our HD DVR with Direct TV will keep it indefinitely. You are alo supposedly able to attach an external hard drive to get even more recording time.

Al
We have Time Warner and the DVR brand is Scientific Atlanta or Atlanta Scientific or something along those lines. I'll check for any external ports.
Old 06-28-11, 10:10 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,309 Times in 822 Posts
In France, a Lavish picnic, with fine wine, while you wait for the race to Zip by..
Old 06-28-11, 12:42 PM
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I do know how lucky I am as so far this year I have watched the tours of Turkey- Oman- Italy-TOC- Dauphine and Switzerland. Been a lot of the "Minor" tours aswell as the one day events. Still the TDF and the Giro to come aswell as various other events to watch if I keep the eyes open for when they are on. Yet another thing where europe and Eurosport have you beat.

My problem is that our Hard disc recorder is in the satellite box and it is filled up with the wifes programmes on gardening- East Enders and other useless stuff. Will have to clear the hard disc down by Saturday.

Spike Milligan
Old 06-28-11, 12:43 PM
bigbadwullf

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Versus' coverage is awesome.
Old 06-28-11, 01:03 PM
BluesDawg
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 16 Posts
Watching the Tour de Suisse in HD on a big plasma screen was incredible! I'd have a hard time concentrating on the road while riding through such breathtaking scenery.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.