Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

New Helmet, trying to beat the heat

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-11, 04:46 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Early last week I started a thread about helmet design and cooling; I really didn't know beans about it before, now I know beans and not much else. But I'm learning. I really didn't wear a helmet last year but increasing awareness of the implications of Russian Roulette had me in the helmet through the winter, spring and into hard summer when brain temps approaching poached egg have had me often riding helmetless again.

My previous helmet (the black Schwinn shown below) was made by Pacific Cycle and cost a total of $25. It works well in the winter but happily I haven't tested it for its main purpose yet. As a quick guess, I would venture that aprox 25%- 30% of the surface area of the helmet is vented. The new helmet is a Bell Influx (sell price $65-$75) and even a quick visual will tell you there is massively more vent area than the old helmet, pushing or exceeding double. I've around 400,000 miles motorcycle experience, all in Bell helmets so I like them; my secondary search characteristic was reviews saying the helmet was very well vented. The Influx reviews consistently remarked on that point. It came with a visor that I immediately yanked because I tend to climb head down and the reduction in forward vision had caused me to almost come to grief on several occasions.

It just came in but I haven't ridden with it yet since it is very close to 100 degrees here now and it probably doesn't cool that well; tomorrow AM will be fine.

I have Shimano sandals coming too, not here yet. I suspect that there won't be a magic bullet to beat the heat, just a collection of small tricks.

Pictures of old (black) and new below. Look at how small the vents are in the black helmet as they get to skull level. Also no vents at all on the side. Can you imagine wearing that in high humidity 100 degrees?

BTW: No relevance to the aircraft pict I took today, just thought one or two of you might like it.

Old 07-01-11, 06:19 PM

Bikes: 2017 Colnago C-RS, 2012 Colnago Ace, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 85 Posts
I wear a Specialized helmet that runs around $40.00. It is vented OK, but I guess it could be a bit better. I guess one day I am going to have to break down and get myself a really good one, but I haven't found one that I really like.

I know all too well about the heat and humidity you ride in. I use a thick sweat band that I bought at WalMart for two bucks for a pack of two. When it gets really hot, I stop somewhere and wet it down with ice water, put it across the back of my neck for a minute, wet it down again and put it back on. That normally keeps me going for another hour or so before I have to do it again.

Where was the photo of the jet taken?

2017 Colnago C-RS
2012 Colnago Ace
2010 Giant Cypress
Old 07-01-11, 06:37 PM

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3238 Post(s)
Liked 2,086 Times in 1,181 Posts
I just landed on and cracked my Giro Pneumo, a high priced (over $100) mt. bike helmet that I got a few years back to help with the heat issue.

Is it better then the $40 Giro Havoc that I used to use ?.

Nope, not much. I sort of learned that you don't really improve the heat problem a huge amount with a big increase in budget, sad to say. Does it get a little better, ?, maybe but not that I noticed much.

Does expensive fit better ?. Maybe, but the current crop of Giro's all seem to use the exact same internal padding and fit adjustment system, once you hit the $60 mark, right up to the $150 line, so if the $65 fits, go with it.

SB
Old 07-01-11, 06:49 PM

Bikes: 2017 Colnago C-RS, 2012 Colnago Ace, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 85 Posts
Only thing I have against a Giro is the way the straps are twisted between the helmet and the buckle. I wish they would make them to where they lay flat instead of having that uncomfortable twist in them. I would have a Giro if it wasn't for that. Bell is the same way.

2017 Colnago C-RS
2012 Colnago Ace
2010 Giant Cypress