Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

What am I doing wrong?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

What am I doing wrong?

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-11, 10:02 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Right, don't give up. Practice & perseverance will prevail. I am a newbie and never learned to ride until recently. I took 2 bike classes with bikenewyork.org which was free for those who had their own bicycles. They began by removing the pedals & having the students scoot & balance until you were able to accomplish it. Then they put the pedals back on & sent you on your way. I still have a lot of practicing to go. When I first started I was only able to balance on my bike 5 seconds before i got wobbly because I was looking down. If you become frustrated give it a rest for a day & try again. There may be bicycle lessons for adults in your area. Google it & check it out.

Good luck & don't give up.
Old 08-03-11, 05:21 AM

Bikes: Old Bike: 1975 Raleigh Delta, New Bike: 2004 Norco Bushpilot

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Muse
I see quite a lot of posts that start out kind of like: "I just got back on a bike today after not having ridden for _____ years, went around the block and loved it, etc." I am thinking, "Well done!" but then I think of my own experience today...

Ride around the block? I can't even ride 10 feet without falling off. I did get some excellent advice here about walking with my bike, and I will try that, but I can't help but wonder why I couldn't seem to steer my bike at all when attempting to ride it. The wheel turned right and left continuously - I'm sure I looked like I was drunk or something. Then of course I fell off. Kept trying, kept falling. Gave up in tears.

I am bound and determined to ride this bike! I remember how much I enjoyed it as a kid and how the bike felt like it was a part of me. Would love to feel that way again...
Any advice/encouragement?
First thing is, I've seen those stories too, guy says he hasn't ridden since 1956, got on a bicycle and rode 100 miles, it's the same as the story about the guy who caught the 45lb trout, but it broke his line at as hen was trying to land it, uh huh...

If your bike is difficult to steer, there are a couple of issues, that can cause this, and it's not always the rider. I would have the bike checked over for steering issues by a decent wrench. If it's not the bicycle, then have yourself checked over by a good doctor, to make sure you don't have balance issues. Remember the old cliche, "It's like riding a bicycle", if you could ride as a kid, you can ride now, you never really do forget how.
Old 08-04-11, 11:53 AM

Bikes: 2011 Novara Forza Hybrid, 2005 Trek 820, 1989 Cannondale SR500 Black Lightning, 1975 Mundo Cycles Caloi Racer

Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked 291 Times in 157 Posts
Hey, Muse! How's it going? I'm hoping that your new approach works out for you!
Old 10-03-11, 04:57 PM

Bikes: Forge Coco Cruiser

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Altair 4
Hey, Muse! How's it going? I'm hoping that your new approach works out for you!
Well...I am struggling with not being able to reach the pedal at the 12 o'clock position - it is too high or my legs are too short or something needs to be adjusted. It seems as if I have tried every seat height there is. When I can actually put my foot on the pedal (while leaning against a wall or something) my knee is bent 90 degrees and is at the height of the handlebars. I am frustrated beyond belief. I am just scared to ride it now, as I continue to fall off. As for the "ride down an incline" thing, that sounds terrifying to me. And since I have no car, I can't just bop it down to the bike shop in the next town. I am very disappointed that I can't seem to get this right.
Old 10-03-11, 07:33 PM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
Well...I am struggling with not being able to reach the pedal at the 12 o'clock position - it is too high or my legs are too short or something needs to be adjusted. It seems as if I have tried every seat height there is. When I can actually put my foot on the pedal (while leaning against a wall or something) my knee is bent 90 degrees and is at the height of the handlebars. I am frustrated beyond belief. I am just scared to ride it now, as I continue to fall off. As for the "ride down an incline" thing, that sounds terrifying to me. And since I have no car, I can't just bop it down to the bike shop in the next town. I am very disappointed that I can't seem to get this right.
Very basic ballpark adjustment for seat height is that when the pedal is all the way down, at the 6 o'clock position/closest to the ground, the seat should be adjusted so that your leg is straight with your heel on the pedal. With the ball of your foot on the pedal, your leg should be bent just a little bit. This is with you sitting on the saddle. This can be checked by leaning against a wall, a doorway, next to a car holding onto a door handle, etc.
Don't understand what you mean by not being able to reach the pedal at the 12 o'clock position. 12 puts the pedal at it's highest position.
Old 10-03-11, 11:50 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
They say you never forget how to ride a bike and I think this is generally true. You said your rode during your youth and loved it.. So have you simply forgotten or is there another problem? Your "forgetting" could be a symptom of. . . . PLEASE, consult your doctor before you try again.
Old 10-04-11, 09:31 AM

Bikes: 2012 Motobecane (BikesDirect) Immortal Force; 2011 (?) Civia Bryant Gates Carbon Belt Drive (upgraded to Alfine 11 and Gates CenterTrack)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am having a hard time visualizing what you are describing. I'd suggest the following two checks:
  1. Have someone hold the front wheel of the bike, while you hold the handlebars. While they try to keep the front wheel from twisting, try to turn the handlebars. It should be very difficult for them to hod the front wheel still while you turn the handlebars - it should be a wrestling match.
  2. Lean up against a wall to your left. Turn the right pedal so that it is as low to the ground as it can go. When you sit on the seat, with your right foot on the right pedal, is your right leg almost straight?

Post back with the results of these experiments.
Old 10-04-11, 09:53 AM
Icantre Member

Bikes: 2001 DBR Axis TT, 1998 Trek 5500 OCLV, 1993 Trek 1100, 1971 Raleigh Grand Prix, 1972 Gitane Attic Beater

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rkokish
They say you never forget how to ride a bike and I think this is generally true. You said your rode during your youth and loved it.. So have you simply forgotten or is there another problem? Your "forgetting" could be a symptom of. . . . PLEASE, consult your doctor before you try again.
Uh...I forgot what I was going to say.

oh yeah, get a friend to help

try coasting around with one foot on the pedal and one on the ground, like a scooter
Old 10-04-11, 10:56 AM

Bikes: all diamond frames

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
You've been working at this for over 2 monthes now? Call a bike shop and see if they can sell you some lessons.
Or, get a trike.
Old 10-04-11, 11:34 AM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by crazyb
You've been working at this for over 2 monthes now? Call a bike shop and see if they can sell you some lessons.
Or, get a trike.
I have to agree. You need to have a person right there with you who can see what you are doing and explain what the problem is. I don't think anyone is going to be able to understand exactly what is going on based on forum posts.
I recommend searching for a bike club or advocacy organization near you. There are many resources out there dedicated to helping people get into bicycling. I just heard about some "True Beginner" cycling classes that the Atlanta Bicycle Coalition puts on to teach adults who have never ridden bikes how to ride safely. I bet there is something similar in a city near you.

Last edited by BluesDawg; 10-04-11 at 11:40 AM. Reason: add video
Old 10-04-11, 11:53 PM

Bikes: Forge Coco Cruiser

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My right leg, in the 6 o'clock position, is nearly straight. I did the handlebar thing, all is well there. To rkokish: I don't know if you were trying to be funny but your comment is not appreciated.
I would try to explain once more about the 12 o'clock position problem, but suffice to say when I am able to get my foot up there, my knee is at a 90 degree angle and nearly hits the handlebars.
To crazyb: I have been busy and so have only been sporadically trying to tackle this problem.
My conclusion is my bike is the wrong size or I am not adjusting something correctly. I take it from the tone of some of these replies that further posting on my part will not be productive. Thanks to all who sincerely tried to help and happy riding! I won't be posting here again, as some of you made me feel like a moron.
Old 10-05-11, 02:52 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks to all who sincerely tried to help and happy riding! I won't be posting here again, as some of you made me feel like a moron.
I'm sorry you feel this way. I've read almost the entire thread and thought everyone here was really being sincere and trying help you. It's not easy troubleshooting a problem without being present. Especially if the bicycle is the wrong size or setup incorrectly. You'll need to find an experienced fitter or cyclist who understands basic bike setup and can work with you to solve your dilemma.

Best of luck.
Old 10-05-11, 03:41 AM
ES&D

Bikes: 3Rensho, Merlin XL, Melton custom, Michael Johnson tandem, Look 481SL, Pedal Force RS

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My right leg, in the 6 o'clock position, is nearly straight. ...
I would try to explain once more about the 12 o'clock position problem, but suffice to say when I am able to get my foot up there, my knee is at a 90 degree angle and nearly hits the handlebars.
It's too bad someone earlier didn't ask what kind of bike you're riding, but, based upon the two comments above and the pic below, your frame's either too small, or there's something really odd going on with the geometry and hbar on your bike (and hence the fit comments from several members).

Old 10-05-11, 06:21 AM
khosch

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by 10 Wheels
That looks great! I think that what you really need is a bike like that one, or an Electra Townie, so you can put at least one foot on the ground while still seated on the bike. Of course, it probably isn't an option since you are riding a new bike...
Old 10-05-11, 07:43 AM

Bikes: 2012 Motobecane (BikesDirect) Immortal Force; 2011 (?) Civia Bryant Gates Carbon Belt Drive (upgraded to Alfine 11 and Gates CenterTrack)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My right leg, in the 6 o'clock position, is nearly straight. I did the handlebar thing, all is well there... I take it from the tone of some of these replies that further posting on my part will not be productive. Thanks to all who sincerely tried to help and happy riding! I won't be posting here again, as some of you made me feel like a moron.
I am puzzled - it seems like the bike must really be the wrong size.

By the way, I think that you may be miss-reading some of the posters whom you found offensive. I think that some of them may have meant to be funny in a self-mockging way - it is the "50 +" forum. I am 58 and my friends and I who are the same age always joke with each about "Can't Remember Stuff" syndrome,"senior moments", "brain farts", etc.

I think that some of the posts that made you "feel like a moron" may have been the same self-deprecating humor. Unfortunately, humor doesn't always travel well across the Internet.
Old 10-05-11, 07:53 AM

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 659 Times in 372 Posts
My right leg, in the 6 o'clock position, is nearly straight. I did the handlebar thing, all is well there. To rkokish: I don't know if you were trying to be funny but your comment is not appreciated.
To crazyb: I have been busy and so have only been sporadically trying to tackle this problem.
My conclusion is my bike is the wrong size or I am not adjusting something correctly. I take it from the tone of some of these replies that further posting on my part will not be productive. Thanks to all who sincerely tried to help and happy riding! I won't be posting here again, as some of you made me feel like a moron.
I'm puzzled how you could make this conclusion. I read nothing but supportive comments, even though some were in conflict with each other. I don't think anyone had anything other than the best intentions to give the best advice as they saw it.
I think we are all interested to see you resolve these issues and learn to enjoy riding again. Please stick around. You won't find better support anywhere than you have right here.
Old 10-05-11, 11:01 AM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Muse, I do hope that you are able to find someone locally who can see the problems you are having with your bike and help you resolve them. I also hope you will keep us updated with your progress. My concern is that it can be very difficult to communicate exactly what is going on with words which may be interpreted differently by different people and differently than you intended. While someone here might be able to give you good advice, it is also possible that we could misunderstand and point you in the wrong direction resulting in further frustration or maybe injury.
Once you are on a bike and riding, there will undoubtedly be many thing people here can help with and offer opinions about.
Wishing you all the best.