Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Posting under your real name

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Posting under your real name

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-11, 06:00 AM
Senior Member ??

Bikes: 2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520 - 2014 Catrike Trail

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've always used my real name in forums, etc.

I know many have mentioned identify theft as a reason for using an anonymous name. I guess someone could obtain the necessary information if they were willing to dig deep enough but dumpsters, ATM's, mail theft and credit card use are the major sources of identity theft and much easier to obtain the necessary information.

I've had one credit card hacked and I'm sure it was from online use. Thankfully, American Express is great at identifying a hacked account and the hacker was shutdown in a matter of hours. I had a new card delivered to my front door 24 hours later.

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
-- Antonio Smith
Old 08-26-11, 06:36 AM
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10965 Post(s)
Liked 4,621 Times in 2,124 Posts
Mine is my real name; I just left out all of the vowels!

Old 08-26-11, 07:08 AM

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Originally Posted by Beverly

I know many have mentioned identify theft as a reason for using an anonymous name. I guess someone could obtain the necessary information if they were willing to dig deep enough but dumpsters, ATM's, mail theft and credit card use are the major sources of identity theft and much easier to obtain the necessary information.
This is why your name isn't really a danger for identity theft. Others have a different opinion obviously.

The rule I've been preaching since the dial-up bulletin board days is never email or post anything anonymous or otherwise that would harm you if it was tacked up in your church halls or business-place, because it eventually could be. We're not really anonymous on the internet regardless of what handle we use. Using your real name just acknowledges and accepts that fact.
Old 08-26-11, 07:14 AM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
I'm Benny. BluesDawg tells you more about me than the name does. I am much nicer and more reserved here under the forum name than I am in real life where I go by my real name.
Old 08-26-11, 07:19 AM
commuter and barbarian

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I just figured nobody would believe me if I told them I was really Conan the Usurper.
Old 08-26-11, 07:21 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
You do have a point but I am not going to give someone access to my name so they can use it as they wish. There is much more to this than meets they eye.

So if I tell you my name is Ingrid Svenson, how do you know that is my real name? My social security number is 234-78-5677. Believe that?
Old 08-26-11, 07:26 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Beverly

I've had one credit card hacked and I'm sure it was from online use. Thankfully, American Express is great at identifying a hacked account and the hacker was shutdown in a matter of hours. I had a new card delivered to my front door 24 hours later.
So, Beverly you have a last name? My name is Peggy...
Old 08-26-11, 07:32 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
And as a business owner I don't trust a Democrat one inch not to try to get me in to trouble somehow by voicing my opinions against environmentalism. These people are.....................NUTS!
Old 08-26-11, 07:39 AM

Bikes: 2005 Bianchi L'una, 1996 Bianchi Eros Specilized Hard Rock 70' era Carnelli Graziella Folding commuter

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
First initial-last name-year I was born, and I never post anything I wouldn't want my wife or children to read.
Old 08-26-11, 08:02 AM

Bikes: Trek '09 1.5 wsd, Trek '13 Cocoa

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 2 Posts
[QUOTE]
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
Jim from Boston, d'uh. Jim is my name and Boston is my venue, so it works well for me and is more informative than my real name. I'm perfectly satisfied reading posts and attaching the comments to an anonymous Electronic Entity. If someone rants and I don't like it, I just don't read it.

I just replied to a current post on the Fifty Plus Forum, “I met another BF member last night.” It just occurred to me that for almost all the BF members I have met in person, I still know most of them by their user name or their first name.
Same here, although most of the BF members I've met, use their names: Jim, Bev, Louis, Ken, Will. I have never given much thought to knowing user's real names. I think that those that are interesting posters and those that are obnoxious will be so, no matter what they're called. However, in-person meetings could be a tad awkward when the member has a user name composed of a series of letters and numbers!

I was amused to learn that DF's name is really Denver Fox! It is a great name, but I assumed he chose it because of his location! The story behind it is interesting, as well!
Old 08-26-11, 08:09 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
In fact on discussion boards the people I have seen that have caused the MOST problems are those using their "real name". Has happened over and over and over. There's kind of a sense of self-importance. And a sense of "I'm defending this discussion board".
Not all, of course. But this is happened enough times that it really is a pattern.

Last edited by bigbadwullf; 08-26-11 at 08:24 AM.
Old 08-26-11, 08:25 AM

Bikes: Specialized Tricross Comp, Custom Steel Sport Touring, Specialized Turbo Vado 4.0 SL

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 27 Posts
[QUOTE=miss kenton;13135472]
I was amused to learn that DF's name is really Denver Fox! It is a great name, but I assumed he chose it because of his location! The story behind it is interesting, as well!
I know a guy named Denver Boston but he lives in NY.
Old 08-26-11, 08:52 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Everyone that lives around me knows my real name. Rusty Shackelford
No Facebook or Twitter.
BTW-Shouldn't those who use Twitter be know as a Twit?
MICHAEL PALIN, so nice to meet you!
Old 08-26-11, 08:56 AM
Don't mince words

Bikes: '16 BH Quartz, 2017 Calfeecustom carbon tandem, Fuji D6 TT bike

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by BluesDawg
I like Facebook. It has proven to be especially useful for increasing participation in the bike club and for staying in touch with family and friends. I only mentioned it here because most people there use their real names and that doesn't seem to keep many of them from saying idiotic things.
That's exactly why I use Facebook. And +1 on the idiotic things. Good grief!
Old 08-26-11, 09:03 AM
I am the Snail~!

Bikes: 2010 TerraTrike Rover 8

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I think it is simply a personal choice. I 'prefer' to use real names, but privacy is a funny thing - it means different stuff to different people. Yes - some low-quality people hide behind screen-names and will speak much more rudely than in person. I dislike that, but I sorta see it like this; if you outlaw guns, only outlaws will have guns.

And no, I am *NOT* trying to start anything
Old 08-26-11, 09:04 AM
Slow Moving Vehicle

Bikes: Felt F-70, Terry Madeleine, Novara Safari fully customized by me

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
When I first joined BikeForums I was so new to the internet that I got confused about user name and name! Most everywhere else I'm known as Newfsmith, but here I'm known by my full name. No regrets so far.
Old 08-26-11, 09:12 AM

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by miss kenton
...However, in-person meetings could be a tad awkward when the member has a user name composed of a series of letters and numbers!

Like R2D2, or C3PO?

The subscriber of whom you write may well be named "Denver Fox" (like Denver Pyle), but he posts as DnvrFox. What do you think he is trying to hide?

(Actually I have seen corroborating evidence, but provided by (only) him in his postings, that that is his name.)
Old 08-26-11, 09:12 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 293 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 69 Posts
My first name is Leo, middle initial is B. that's all I choose to share. If at time I act like an idiot, well, nobody's perfect.
And Kurt, being a member of the judicary, giving somebody the finger is proctected free speach, so flip away(specially to those that deserve it).
Old 08-26-11, 09:18 AM
Idiot Emeritus

Bikes: Yes.

Mentioned: 228 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 4 Posts
I do use my real name, with initials following it. I use my full (real) name on Facebook. Go find it, I'm not going to put the link here!

I've also had a credit card hacked. Short version of the story is that the, umm, "person" who did it hacked a card that was expired. The online merchant he used it with didn't check the security number or expiration date and sold the perp a refrigerator (!). The good part is that he was eventually caught, and I was in not liable. I still don't know how he got the card information, and probably never will.
Old 08-26-11, 09:52 AM

Bikes: Trek Domane 4.5, Trek 1500

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I use my real name in FB, but am kind of generic here. The one thing I do maintain privacy on is my schedule. I dont post when i am going to be gone.
Old 08-26-11, 09:52 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
First inital of my first name, first inital of middle name, first three letters of my last name. I don't like my first name or my middle name will probably shorten my first name, and drop my middle name once my mother passes away.
Old 08-26-11, 09:57 AM
splendid splendidness

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just how do you change your username?
Old 08-26-11, 10:48 AM
Veteran Racer

Bikes: 32 frames + 80 wheels

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1337 Post(s)
Liked 765 Times in 432 Posts
Originally Posted by JWalton215
Just how do you change your username?
You can't do it yourself, however, you can send a pm to a forum admin and request it.

Originally Posted by Dcv
I'd like to think i have as much money as brains.
I see the light at the end of the tunnel, but the tunnel keeps getting longer - me
Old 08-26-11, 10:53 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Interesting responses but all, including the OP's, miss one important point. The posting name actually means very little with regard to post credibility. Opinions rendered here, or in almost any forum for that matter, are worth, for the most part, exactly what they cost. That wouldn't change except it would make checking the opiner's background a bit easier. Anyone who takes information that affects life or property from this, or most any other board, and uses it without further research is, not using all their faculties.

Identity theft is actually a very minor issue. The board owners know who we are ard where we are. There is the information that has real value.

On the other hand the whole user name thing adds a bit of fun to the experience.
Old 08-26-11, 11:37 AM
Humvee of bikes =Worksman

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Kurt Erlenbach
Being a member of the judicial branch of government, I have to live with some rules that are different than those affecting most folks (I'm always reluctant to flip off a dangerous driver, at the risk of being considered injudicious, but some folks just plain deserve it). Among those rules are developing rules about the use of social media. After reviewing those rules, and because it's the right thing to do, I've decided to start posting under my real name and I'd like to encourage you to do so, too.

Online anonymity encourages too many people to act like idiots online. I strongly believe that one should never post anything anonymously that they would not say personally, and one of the best things about this subforum is the lack of idiots hanging around here. So, hello everyone. I'm Kurt.
I find it very disturbing that a "member of the judicial branch of government" would advocate for yet another dismissal/removal of right of privicy on the net. God knows that due to the onerous Patriot Act all American have little right to personal privacy left.

That said, I shall choose to be as anonymous as I can be in all my dealings with the net that are not of a business nature where my personal info it required.

Originally Posted by NOS88
Well, I understand your position, and I disagree with it. On line information is too easily an access point for criminals. I don't post real name, real street address or any other information that could lead someone to my home after learning more about me than I might want them to know. If my behavior is unacceptable on a given forum, the moderators will take me to task. There have been people ban for unacceptable behavior, and I would expect nothing less. My experience has been that idiots will act like idiots with or without real names.

Just one other comment. I really hope government keeps its nose out of the INTERNET. It's one of the last places of unfettered free speech. If I don't like what someone is saying, I don't have to read it, I can even put folks on my filtered list (which I've recently done). I assume others will do the same with me if I get too annoying.

Oh, and I wanted to add that I only participate in moderated forums. Moderators have a tough job, but they maintain the stability of any given public forum.

Originally Posted by krazygluon
Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred, which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.